blocked toilet! Andrex wet wipes - the culprit! How to unblock?

Old August 20th 06, 01:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default blocked toilet! Andrex wet wipes - the culprit! How to unblock?

http://www.monument-tools.com/D+Ctab...20Drain%20Rods

| Costs less than a ?10.
|

| --
| Dave
| The Medway Handyman
| www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
| 01634 717930
| 07850 597257
|

|Can I get one from B&Q or homebase?
|

|I've looked on the homebase website and can't find it.
|
|If it costs ?10 and I really can do it by myself, I will.. better than
|paying ?60!

I checked the B&Q and Wickes websites, and neither included anything like
that, even though the stores have bog clearing equipment. Real DIY would
lower the tone ;-)
Old August 20th 06, 01:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:26:07 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

|Ian Cornish typed
|
| Of course, whilst the OP was sitting on the toilet, he could have read
| the packet of the wipes, which clearly (at least on the packet I have,
| it does) that you should not flush down the toilet, but dispose of in
| the bin.
|
|Had another look at the Andex Moistened packet; not only do they state
|the product is 'flushable' but there is no longer any caveat about
|macerator toilets, which I think I saw previously.
|
|I'm beginning to think the manufacturers ought to be liable for their
|product blocking toilets when used as suggested, and for subsequent
|expense.

Well it is worth OP sending a letter, may not work immediately but maybe
eventually they may change the liable.
Old August 20th 06, 02:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
wrote:
I rent.

I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs
yesterday and it's not a pretty site

ugh

You can buy a toilet unblocking device from most DIY sheds. A bit
like a spring about 10mm in diameter. Look at Drain Augers here

http://www.monument-tools.com/D+Ctab...20Drain%20Rods

Costs less than a 10.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Can I get one from B&Q or homebase?

I've looked on the homebase website and can't find it.

If it costs 10 and I really can do it by myself, I will.. better than
paying 60!

I'm sure I bought one in B&Q some time ago, the websites are almost
completely useless. Go and have a look.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Old August 20th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:36:15 GMT someone who may be "Dan
delaMare-Lyon" wrote this:-

OK - this is what gets me - the "sanitary" product mfrs all come up with the
latest greatest wet this, lotion that, soothing the other papery products
for use on yer arse - and all they seem to do is block the sodding bog and
drains behind it. It wouldn't suprise me if Andrex wasn't actually a
division of Dyno Rod these days ;-)

Perhaps people should retaliate by installing paperless toilets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...in_ a_source=

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old August 20th 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Can I get one from B&Q or homebase?

I've looked on the homebase website and can't find it.

If it costs 10 and I really can do it by myself, I will.. better than
paying 60!

Just looked at Wickes site
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/500594 they have
them at 9:99. Also Drain Blasters at 7:99
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/500065

Personally I've only used the augers on toilets.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Old August 20th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
mo

Go old school and use your hand - its one of the reasons you were born with
a hand

Old August 20th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-20 12:02:19 +0100, Huge said:

I've had a drain clearance guy tell me that people will not even put
their hands into a gulley to pull out leaves. I'm seriously considering
buy a Dynarod franchise; after living in a house with "private drains"
for 14 years and having trained as a biologist, nothing much disgusts
me any more.

Not even people running Windows? Surely that's worse than cleaning
out a biology lab sink..... :-)

Old August 20th 06, 05:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Sheila wrote:
"EricP" wrote in message

If you have any net or other curtains held up by a wire with the hooks
on the end steal that and use it as an unblocker.

if you do it quietly, wash after use and return to the curtain, no one
wll ever know.

These wires are a most useful tool in the home for unblocking or
threading.

do you not find the wire coathanger a far more suitable peice of kit? I
would have thought the curtain wire was a bit wobbley and unstable... I see
the drains in the MrP household have been tested a few times then.... Since
my big son left home, we no longer suffer from this problem...

Shouldn't put anything metal at all down there as the glaze is soft and
easily damaged. Eventually the whole bowl will need replacing.

john2

Old August 20th 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:57:02 +0100, mo wrote:

Go old school and use your hand - its one of the reasons you were born
with a hand

Your left hand of course and you never eat using you left hand or offer
it to anybody else.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I cut my own hair - my shower drain is blocked. How to unblock? [email protected] UK diy 20 July 4th 06 10:46 PM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 12th 06 12:17 AM
Blocked toilet (oh no, not again - sorry!) Jennie UK diy 19 October 13th 05 02:18 PM
Clearing blocked toilet with caustic soda Timothy Murphy UK diy 45 August 9th 04 01:59 PM
Blocked toilet... help! Martin UK diy 6 July 30th 04 09:39 PM