Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default blocked toilet! Andrex wet wipes - the culprit! How to unblock?

http://www.monument-tools.com/D+Ctab...20Drain%20Rods

| Costs less than a ?10.
|

| --
| Dave
| The Medway Handyman
| www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
| 01634 717930
| 07850 597257
|

|Can I get one from B&Q or homebase?
|

|I've looked on the homebase website and can't find it.
|
|If it costs ?10 and I really can do it by myself, I will.. better than
|paying ?60!

I checked the B&Q and Wickes websites, and neither included anything like
that, even though the stores have bog clearing equipment. Real DIY would
lower the tone ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:26:07 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

|Ian Cornish typed
|
| Of course, whilst the OP was sitting on the toilet, he could have read
| the packet of the wipes, which clearly (at least on the packet I have,
| it does) that you should not flush down the toilet, but dispose of in
| the bin.
|
|Had another look at the Andex Moistened packet; not only do they state
|the product is 'flushable' but there is no longer any caveat about
|macerator toilets, which I think I saw previously.
|
|I'm beginning to think the manufacturers ought to be liable for their
|product blocking toilets when used as suggested, and for subsequent
|expense.

Well it is worth OP sending a letter, may not work immediately but maybe
eventually they may change the liable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
wrote:
I rent.

I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs
yesterday and it's not a pretty site

ugh

You can buy a toilet unblocking device from most DIY sheds. A bit
like a spring about 10mm in diameter. Look at Drain Augers here

http://www.monument-tools.com/D+Ctab...20Drain%20Rods

Costs less than a £10.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Can I get one from B&Q or homebase?

I've looked on the homebase website and can't find it.

If it costs £10 and I really can do it by myself, I will.. better than
paying £60!

I'm sure I bought one in B&Q some time ago, the websites are almost
completely useless. Go and have a look.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:36:15 GMT someone who may be "Dan
delaMare-Lyon" wrote this:-

OK - this is what gets me - the "sanitary" product mfrs all come up with the
latest greatest wet this, lotion that, soothing the other papery products
for use on yer arse - and all they seem to do is block the sodding bog and
drains behind it. It wouldn't suprise me if Andrex wasn't actually a
division of Dyno Rod these days ;-)

Perhaps people should retaliate by installing paperless toilets.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...in_ a_source=

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Can I get one from B&Q or homebase?

I've looked on the homebase website and can't find it.

If it costs £10 and I really can do it by myself, I will.. better than
paying £60!

Just looked at Wickes site
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/500594 they have
them at £9:99. Also Drain Blasters at £7:99
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/500065

Personally I've only used the augers on toilets.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

Go old school and use your hand - its one of the reasons you were born with
a hand

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-20 12:02:19 +0100, Huge said:

I've had a drain clearance guy tell me that people will not even put
their hands into a gulley to pull out leaves. I'm seriously considering
buy a Dynarod franchise; after living in a house with "private drains"
for 14 years and having trained as a biologist, nothing much disgusts
me any more.

Not even people running Windows? Surely that's worse than cleaning
out a biology lab sink..... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sheila wrote:
"EricP" wrote in message

If you have any net or other curtains held up by a wire with the hooks
on the end steal that and use it as an unblocker.

if you do it quietly, wash after use and return to the curtain, no one
wll ever know.

These wires are a most useful tool in the home for unblocking or
threading.

do you not find the wire coathanger a far more suitable peice of kit? I
would have thought the curtain wire was a bit wobbley and unstable... I see
the drains in the MrP household have been tested a few times then.... Since
my big son left home, we no longer suffer from this problem...

Shouldn't put anything metal at all down there as the glaze is soft and
easily damaged. Eventually the whole bowl will need replacing.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:57:02 +0100, mo wrote:

Go old school and use your hand - its one of the reasons you were born
with a hand

Your left hand of course and you never eat using you left hand or offer
it to anybody else.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Fawthrop
wrote

There is a spec somewhere which ensures that Bog paper is not *too* strong
and thus block up the loo. The strongest we can find is Lidl Luxury, which
has not blocked our loo, and even flushes away with the low flow button on
our new bog cistern.

Lidl el-cheapo recycled is waterproof and does dam up drains with ease
Their very cheap bog rolls are also a lot narrower than (UK) standard
sizes which I'm sure makes people use more paper per wipe. Just using a
few sheets doesn't cover the kak hand sufficiently.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 13:57:02 +0100, mo wrote:

Go old school and use your hand - its one of the reasons you were born
with a hand

Your left hand of course and you never eat using you left hand or offer
it to anybody else.

Hence the reason why people like me are called kak handed.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I rent.

I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs
yesterday and it's not a pretty site

ugh

So do I pay a huge call out fee & get it unblocked?

For a totally DISGUSTING picture of the problem, click he

(WARNING: PICTURE OF DISGUSTING TOILET. DO NOT VIEW!)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSC00424.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSC00425.jpg

update - been putting BOILING HOT water down the pan

(don't know why. I'm kinda hoping the hot water will dissolve the
obstruction)

There is no way in hell my hands are going down there. NO WAY. I'll pay
the £60 to get it cleared, so long as I don't have to touch it!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
writes
There is no way in hell my hands are going down there. NO WAY. I'll pay
the £60 to get it cleared, so long as I don't have to touch it!!!

WIMP

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:36:15 GMT, Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:

IME this stuff all causes blockages - even on a nice shiny new crapper.

Probably more so in a shiny new crapper because they have such
pathetically low water flow rates.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-20 12:02:19 +0100, Huge said:

I've had a drain clearance guy tell me that people will not even put
their hands into a gulley to pull out leaves. I'm seriously considering
buy a Dynarod franchise; after living in a house with "private drains"
for 14 years and having trained as a biologist, nothing much disgusts
me any more.

Not even people running Windows? Surely that's worse than cleaning
out a biology lab sink..... :-)

Good point, but they don't know any better. Now Windows, *that's*
disgusting...

Well exactly, and it would take a lot to put a hand in a bin liner and
clear Bill Gates' U-bend.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-20 20:21:44 +0100, said:

wrote:
I rent.

I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs
yesterday and it's not a pretty site

ugh

So do I pay a huge call out fee & get it unblocked?

For a totally DISGUSTING picture of the problem, click he

(WARNING: PICTURE OF DISGUSTING TOILET. DO NOT VIEW!)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSC00424.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSC00425.jpg

update - been putting BOILING HOT water down the pan

(don't know why. I'm kinda hoping the hot water will dissolve the
obstruction)

There is no way in hell my hands are going down there. NO WAY. I'll pay
the £60 to get it cleared, so long as I don't have to touch it!!!

It may help but one has to say that you are being a bit of a pussy
about this...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I rent.

I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs
yesterday and it's not a pretty site

ugh

So do I pay a huge call out fee & get it unblocked?

For a totally DISGUSTING picture of the problem, click he

(WARNING: PICTURE OF DISGUSTING TOILET. DO NOT VIEW!)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSC00424.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSC00425.jpg

An estate agents would be the best bet.
Get the **** out of there.

Anyone know what's best to clean coffee off a TFT monitor......? )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

There is no way in hell my hands are going down there. NO WAY. I'll pay
the £60 to get it cleared, so long as I don't have to touch it!!!

It may help but one has to say that you are being a bit of a pussy
about this...

I'll pay you £60 to post a picture with your hands down the toilet

You don't even have to do anything else - just use the cash to pay a
professional.

I'll pay £120 if you put your head down and I will pay £250 if you...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-20 22:58:10 +0100, "mo" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

There is no way in hell my hands are going down there. NO WAY. I'll pay
the £60 to get it cleared, so long as I don't have to touch it!!!

It may help but one has to say that you are being a bit of a pussy
about this...

I'll pay you £60 to post a picture with your hands down the toilet

You don't even have to do anything else - just use the cash to pay a
professional.

I'll pay £120 if you put your head down and I will pay £250 if you...

Get yer chequebook out. Actually, no.... cash....

I've been doing a cloakroom remodelling in the past two weeks.

This involved removing the old bog, complete with crap et al. inside
the plastic connecting adaptor.

I've never come across such a bunch of girl's blouses in my life....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
I've never come across such a bunch of girl's blouses in my life....

I have,
I wandered into work last week to find a notice on one of the
two traps saying "out of order". When I checked it was all but rim high
with water plus other bits (ughy brown bits and paper) although it had
been like this for an hour or so no one had offered to clear it. "No
plunger" "don't know how" " not my job" etc. half these guys own
houses, what the heck do they do at home if a loo blocks??? Any way
they were right there was no plunger but there was an ample supply of
bubble rap!!! Two or three times around my hand and a bit up the arm
makes a great plunger.
No photos unfortunately.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message

There is no way in hell my hands are going down there. NO WAY. I'll pay
the £60 to get it cleared, so long as I don't have to touch it!!!

It may help but one has to say that you are being a bit of a pussy
about this...

I'll pay you £60 to post a picture with your hands down the toilet

You don't even have to do anything else - just use the cash to pay a
professional.

I'll pay £120 if you put your head down and I will pay £250 if you...

I just don't like poo. I am sure I am not alone.

I will go sky diving, but I will not touch poo. No thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

I've never come across such a bunch of girl's blouses in my life....

I have,
I wandered into work last week to find a notice on one of the
two traps saying "out of order". When I checked it was all but rim
high with water plus other bits (ughy brown bits and paper) although
it had been like this for an hour or so no one had offered to clear
it. "No plunger" "don't know how" " not my job" etc. half these
guys own houses, what the heck do they do at home if a loo blocks???

With a bit of luck they call me! I charge exta to clear toilets!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-20 23:34:34 +0100, said:

wrote:
I rent.

I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs
yesterday and it's not a pretty site

ugh

So do I pay a huge call out fee & get it unblocked?

For a totally DISGUSTING picture of the problem, click he

(WARNING: PICTURE OF DISGUSTING TOILET. DO NOT VIEW!)

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSC00424.jpg

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSC00425.jpg

*Shameless appeal for money*

I am a poor student, please can you donate 50p to me via PayPal so I
can get it unblocked?

Oh puhleez.....

Get yourself some disinfectant and mix up a solution in a bucket with
some hand hot water. Tip this into the pan.

Then plunge your hand down the f*cking bog and pull out the offending
paper, dropping it into the bucket.

Don't they teach students how not to be pussies these days?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Don't they teach students how not to be pussies these days?

They don't even teach them how to /do/ pussies. That's why the clap and
chlamydia[1] are on the rise.

[1] Wouldn't that make a nice name for a girl?

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
I just don't like poo. I am sure I am not alone.

I will go sky diving, but I will not touch poo. No thanks.

Never think of getting a dog, then.

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-20 23:34:34 +0100, said:

wrote:
[...]

I think we're probably all pussies until we have children. You spend the
first 4 years doing little else but cleaning up ****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Andy Hall contains these words:

Don't they teach students how not to be pussies these days?

They don't even teach them how to /do/ pussies. That's why the clap and
chlamydia[1] are on the rise.

[1] Wouldn't that make a nice name for a girl?

I don't think Ms. Clap-Carruthers would sound very attractive at all.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I rent.

I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs
yesterday and it's not a pretty site

OK - this is what gets me - the "sanitary" product mfrs all come up with the
latest greatest wet this, lotion that, soothing the other papery products
for use on yer arse - and all they seem to do is block the sodding bog and
drains behind it. It wouldn't suprise me if Andrex wasn't actually a
division of Dyno Rod these days ;-)

IME this stuff all causes blockages - even on a nice shiny new crapper.
This is the reason one sticks to normal loo paper - that and the fact that a
gentle shove with yer arm in a binbag normally clears any blockages!!

Cheers
Dan.

And all you need is soap and water and a towel...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

I think we're probably all pussies until we have children. You spend the
first 4 years doing little else but cleaning up ****

Four years? Gawd, our youngest worked out what to do at 2y2m and never
got it wrong after that.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:45:55 +0100, Owain

| I rent.
| I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs
| yesterday and it's not a pretty site
|
|I know they're horrible and disgusting but I think you'll just have to
|get your hand round the bend and remove the wet wipes. Why did you put
|them down the toilet anyway?
|
|As for the poo, it's only what came out of your botty.

This is a cultural thing, poo/faeces consists mainly of dead bacteria and
quite a few live ones.

The only culture some people have;-)

To the OP: if you really go in for skydiving, give up a session or two
and use the money saved to employ one of us (where are you?). It really
is a trivial jobbie [pun intended].

Douglas de Lacey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

I think we're probably all pussies until we have children. You spend the
first 4 years doing little else but cleaning up ****

Four years? Gawd, our youngest worked out what to do at 2y2m and never
got it wrong after that.

Yeah but attention to detail isn't normally their strong point
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:07:58 +0100, wrote:

What's the point of non-flushable bog roll? 60 years ago all newspaper was
flushable.

Non flushable bog roll is for use in Greece/Turkey where 2 inch main
sewers are normal, handy because if the bog roll has run out you can
root through the used bits for a clean(ish) area.

60 years ago the UK had proper toilets that flushed monster turds away
with gallons of water in the blink of an eye, go to the **** poor Euro
imports that we are saddled with today, add in products that swell
when exposed to water, sometimes from a household with an excess of
females and blockage is considered normal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...

wrote:
I rent.

I'd be to embarrased to get my landlord to fix it. I had the runs
yesterday and it's not a pretty site

Here's an update on Sunday night (20 August 2006) 11:30 pm

photo here :
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSC00426.jpg

Looks like that needs topping up to return it to its former glory.

I had 'all you can eat' Chinese yesterday and could probably help.

Let me know if you are interested.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble typed

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Stuart Noble contains these words:

I think we're probably all pussies until we have children. You spend the
first 4 years doing little else but cleaning up ****

Four years? Gawd, our youngest worked out what to do at 2y2m and never
got it wrong after that.

Yeah but attention to detail isn't normally their strong point

Some do, some don't. Mum explained the purpose of the potty to my
brother at a similar age.

"OK" he said, and never ever made any mess again.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

I cut my own hair - my shower drain is blocked. How to unblock? [email protected] UK diy 20 July 4th 06 09:46 PM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
Blocked toilet (oh no, not again - sorry!) Jennie UK diy 19 October 13th 05 01:18 PM
Clearing blocked toilet with caustic soda Timothy Murphy UK diy 45 August 9th 04 12:59 PM
Blocked toilet... help! Martin UK diy 6 July 30th 04 08:39 PM