Why does cement mixer trip RCD?

Old August 17th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why does cement mixer trip RCD?

Was selling my cement mixer yesterday, and when selling, tried to show
it to the buyer working in the shed. when plugged in and switched on,
it just tripped the RCD. I reset it and it happened again. Finally
when connected to the house supply via extension lead i was able to
show him it working.

Why did the RCD trip. It wasn't damp or anything yesterday evening?

I now want to put a washing machine in the shed. Will this cause the
RCD to trip?

Thanks for any assistance.

Old August 17th 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
Was selling my cement mixer yesterday, and when selling, tried to
show it to the buyer working in the shed. when plugged in and
switched on, it just tripped the RCD. I reset it and it happened
again. Finally when connected to the house supply via extension
lead i was able to show him it working.

Was it a 2-wire extension cable?

The lack of an earth wire could have masked an earth
leakage fault that really was present in the mixer.

If that was the case then mixer may be dangerous and
it might be prudent to contact the buyer asap.

--
Tony Williams.
Old August 18th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks for the replies guys.

The shed is RCD protected and was connected directly to the mixer. The
house is NOT RCD protected and was connected with a 2-wire extension
cable. The mixer was quite old.

I have previously in the past connected electric heaters and power
tools via an extension cable with no problems in my shed, as well as a
kettle etc. The mixer was quite old which could have caused problems.

I am due to pick up my washing machine at the weekend so will need to
connect it up and give it a try.