Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrical wiring Q.

Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this obviously
included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that wiring regs require
any socket that can be potentially used outside (extension lead) to be RCD
protected?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:
Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this obviously
included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that wiring regs require
any socket that can be potentially used outside (extension lead) to be RCD
protected?

Yes

See On-Site Guide para 3.6.1 (iii) & (iv)

or regs sect 471-08-04 & -05

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim_in_sussex wrote:
Grumps wrote:
Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this
obviously included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that
wiring regs require any socket that can be potentially used outside
(extension lead) to be RCD protected?

Yes

See On-Site Guide para 3.6.1 (iii) & (iv)

or regs sect 471-08-04 & -05

HTH

Ta. I just read some of PratP myself.
Can the RCD protection be provided locally (i.e. by replacing the sockets
with RCD ones), or MUST it be done by modifying the fuse board etc?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Grumps" contains these words:

Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this
obviously
included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that wiring regs
require
any socket that can be potentially used outside (extension lead) to be RCD
protected?

Yes, but if your existing CU already has RCD protection on the sockets
this is considered OK.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "Grumps" contains these words:

Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this
obviously
included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that wiring regs
require
any socket that can be potentially used outside (extension lead) to
be RCD protected?

Yes, but if your existing CU already has RCD protection on the sockets
this is considered OK.

Thanks. It hasn't
So, can I just replace some sockets (there are 4 max that could
realistically be used to supply outside power - and only one would ever be
used) with ones with built-in RCD protection? I've read the regs now, but it
just says 'you need RCD', it doesn't say whether the RCD should be at the
CU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:57:15 +0100 someone who may be "Grumps"
wrote this:-

Can the RCD protection be provided locally (i.e. by replacing the sockets
with RCD ones)

Yes, provided the RCD sockets have suitable characteristics (I
imagine at he ones that are sold do have suitable characteristics).
This is in many ways better than RCD(s) at the consumer unit.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Can the RCD protection be provided locally (i.e. by replacing the
sockets with RCD ones)

Yes, provided the RCD sockets have suitable characteristics (I
imagine at he ones that are sold do have suitable characteristics).
This is in many ways better than RCD(s) at the consumer unit.

Ta. That's the answer I like.
Available units (Screwfix ranging from £20 to £50) all have 30mA and at
least one is spec'd at 30ms (regs say 40ms).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this
obviously included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that wiring
regs require any socket that can be potentially used outside (extension
lead) to be RCD protected?

At a push, you could install one waterproof RCD socket outside and then you
can realistically claim that indoor sockets wouldn't be used for outdoor
appliances.

However, my personal opinion is that it is much safer to protect all
sockets, even those not realistically used for outdoor appliances. I would
except only sockets intended for fixed appliances such as fridges and
freezers. This is because the RCD will provide secondary protection against
electric shock and fire.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this
obviously included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that
wiring regs require any socket that can be potentially used outside
(extension lead) to be RCD protected?

At a push, you could install one waterproof RCD socket outside and
then you can realistically claim that indoor sockets wouldn't be used
for outdoor appliances.

However, my personal opinion is that it is much safer to protect all
sockets, even those not realistically used for outdoor appliances. I
would except only sockets intended for fixed appliances such as
fridges and freezers. This is because the RCD will provide secondary
protection against electric shock and fire.

Thanks.
As the F-F is on the same ring as the extension sockets, it would seem
sensible to replace the sockets with RCD types. This'd be cheaper than
getting the sparks in to modify the CU to include RCD I would imagine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suppose realistically all sockets have the potential to be used for
outside use.

Our bedroom sockets power the xmas lights outside on the guttering.
All downstairs sockets have been used for extension cables, to power
the car battery charger, electric drill etc etc.

Why not use one of pluginable RCD's, so you can use it whereever you
go.

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:41:14 +0100, "Grumps"
wrote:

Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this obviously
included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that wiring regs require
any socket that can be potentially used outside (extension lead) to be RCD
protected?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Had a single storey rear extension done a few months back and this
obviously included an extension to the mains ring. Is it true that
wiring regs require any socket that can be potentially used outside
(extension lead) to be RCD protected?

I suppose realistically all sockets have the potential to be used for
outside use.

Our bedroom sockets power the xmas lights outside on the guttering.
All downstairs sockets have been used for extension cables, to power
the car battery charger, electric drill etc etc.

Why not use one of pluginable RCD's, so you can use it whereever you
go.

I don't think those plugginable RCDs will pass the regs!
The man at NAPIT told me, that in our situation, we need TWO separate
sockets with RCD, OR the whole ring RCD protected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Grumps" writes:
Ta. That's the answer I like.
Available units (Screwfix ranging from £20 to £50) all have 30mA and at
least one is spec'd at 30ms (regs say 40ms).

Watch out to ensure existing back box is deep enough.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Grumps" writes:
Ta. That's the answer I like.
Available units (Screwfix ranging from £20 to £50) all have 30mA
and at least one is spec'd at 30ms (regs say 40ms).

Watch out to ensure existing back box is deep enough.

Thanks for the warning.
The cheaper Volex one from Screwfix needs 25mm. Not sure about the MK one.
There's one on TLC that also needs 25mm. I guess they'll all be the same; a
bit stoopid if a manufacturer made a deeper one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:

Yes, but if your existing CU already has RCD protection on the sockets
this is considered OK.

OK by the letter of the regs, but far from ideal. A 30mA on a socket is
better protection than a 100mA in a CU. It's also less likely to trip
and take out the freezer.

books on electrical wiring [email protected] Home Repair 10 May 9th 06 04:13 PM
Electrical Wiring Manyuals seniorgeezer Home Repair 6 March 1st 06 08:59 PM
Old electrical wiring to outbuildings Nate Baxley Home Repair 11 July 19th 04 07:53 PM
Wiring "new" electrical circuit Tim Wentworth Home Repair 33 December 18th 03 12:46 AM
Electrical wiring inspector? phil UK diy 14 November 25th 03 12:54 AM