Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laying Laminate Flooring

Hi everyone,

I know this isn't a particulary comlpicated task, but not having done
it before i would appreciate some "local knowledge".

we were planninng on laying some laminate flooring, probably pergo (is
it worth it ?), any hints, tips or sites you could point me in the
direction of which would help me plan this job out ?

what tools would you absolutely not be without for a task like this ?
are there any brands you would avoid ?

any help would be much appreciated

regards

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Cotton wrote:
Hi everyone,

I know this isn't a particulary comlpicated task, but not having done
it before i would appreciate some "local knowledge".

we were planninng on laying some laminate flooring, probably pergo (is
it worth it ?), any hints, tips or sites you could point me in the
direction of which would help me plan this job out ?

what tools would you absolutely not be without for a task like this ?
are there any brands you would avoid ?

any help would be much appreciated

regards

mark

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/laminate_flooring.htm
I must point out due to a frivelous poster on here there is two ways of
doing it ie proffesionally or as the poster called it... *Bodge job of the
highest order*,meaning the guy on the link is doing it without taking the
skirting off which most people do anyway.

One tool you will need amongst others is a *pull bar* to pull the flooring
together at the ends of each row.
These can be got from local sheds or laminate stockist.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB RzB is offline

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message

====clip

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/laminate_flooring.htm
I must point out due to a frivelous poster on here there is two ways of
doing it ie proffesionally or as the poster called it... *Bodge job of the
highest order*,meaning the guy on the link is doing it without taking the
skirting off which most people do anyway.

One tool you will need amongst others is a *pull bar* to pull the flooring
together at the ends of each row.
These can be got from local sheds or laminate stockist.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Hmm - I'm going to be doing some of this in a few weeks time..
I don't quite understand about the pull bar. Why does the flooring
have to be pulled together at the ends - surely it just clicks together?
Yes/No? Don't understand...

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RzB wrote:
[...]

You'll understand it alright when you start it. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Cotton wrote:
Hi everyone,

I know this isn't a particulary comlpicated task, but not having done
it before i would appreciate some "local knowledge".

we were planninng on laying some laminate flooring, probably pergo (is
it worth it ?), any hints, tips or sites you could point me in the
direction of which would help me plan this job out ?

what tools would you absolutely not be without for a task like this ?
are there any brands you would avoid ?

any help would be much appreciated

regards

mark

One important think is to unpack all or a few packs of the flooring
overnight to allow for swelling with them being in the plastic.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "Mark Cotton" contains these words:

any hints,

Take the skirting boards off, lay right up to the wall (allowing the
expansion gap, of course) and put the boards back on top of the
flooring. It looks /so/ much better than having those narsty quadrant
beads all over the place.

At doorways etc, use a cover strip to neaten the join.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RzB wrote:
Hmm - I'm going to be doing some of this in a few weeks time..
I don't quite understand about the pull bar. Why does the flooring
have to be pulled together at the ends - surely it just clicks
together? Yes/No? Don't understand...

Laminate clicks together on all four edges. Clicking the long edges
together is easy, but when the last board in the row is laid you can't get
hold of the short edge or tap it with a block - so you need the pull bar to
hook over the end.

Better still get one of those laminate strap clamps and pull the entire row
together in one go.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:39:30 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

Take the skirting boards off, lay right up to the wall (allowing the
expansion gap, of course) and put the boards back on top of the
flooring. It looks /so/ much better than having those narsty quadrant
beads all over the place.

I'll support this one. Did my hall and cloakroom a couple of years ago
and was intimidated by the prospect of removing the skirting so used
the quadrant - it looked a right mess. A few weeks ago, ripped it all
out, took the skirtings off, relaid with new, fixed new skirting,
looks fantastic though I say it myself

At doorways etc, use a cover strip to neaten the join.

B&Q have a range of these, much better than the 'one size fits all'
available from my floor supplier.

Laying laminate flooring over existing vinyl tiles in kitchen [email protected] UK diy 2 June 8th 06 12:07 AM
laying laminate flooring ron UK diy 12 April 28th 06 12:24 AM
Laying laminate flooring [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 16th 05 02:14 AM
Help - Laying Laminate Flooring without "beading" Steve Harvey UK diy 12 September 21st 05 12:59 PM
Advise on laying laminate flooring please. Curiosity UK diy 6 June 16th 04 01:15 PM