Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY dentistry... sticking a loose crown back in ?

drugs began to take hold. I remember Derek ^
saying something like:

Unfortunately the dentist got very greedy towards the end of my
treatment. Prices went up, he changed the working conditions of his
staff and they left, he started doing his own sedations with an ECG
machine which he borrowed, and the cost was double what a Private GP
used to charge to come in and do it.

Needless to say the atmosphere in the practise became unpleasant :-(

Be fair, it's not cheap to run a light aircraft and his flying is
important to him. Some 20 years ago - and for all I know it's the same
now - the greatest group by far of pupils in flying schools were
dentists.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:50:47 +0100, Derek ^
wrote:

I noticed from being about 15 (1962) onwards that a large tooth never
received a small filling. Reading up in a medical library it seams it
was accepted practice at the time to cut out all the fissures on the
biting surface of back teeth once *any* decay had started. As they
fail around the edges they have to be replaced with bigger fillings.
Eventually there's little more than the 4 corners left, which break
off under biting forces.

Restoration is still possible with screws and pins etc but all in all
there's less and less tooth material to protect the pulp which sooner
or later gets infected. That's what happened to my back teeth.

These days an inlay or crown can be made up on the spot with a 'CEREC
3D' machine.

The ceramic is supposed to have the same coefficient of expansion as
the underlying tooth, and the machine allows the right gap for the
bonding resin (this might be the OP's problem).

Loads of info on Google, my dentist has it:

http://www.kingstondentalcare.co.uk/treatments.html#cerec

Expensive but for me worth the extra money IMHO.

My general advice on dentists...:

At the end of the day, dentistry is a business (even on the NHS), it's
wise to shop around to get the best value and service for your needs.

Also it can be best to get a second (or third?) opinion before
spending a lot of money or getting something drastic done.

By spending time learning about dental care and treatment, finding the
right dentist should be a lot easier.

cheers,
Pete.

McMansions And Such Tom Watson Woodworking 123 October 15th 04 12:05 AM
Gunner: I'm back Gunner Metalworking 388 July 9th 04 01:35 AM
Wood for Childrens Blocks Wyatt Wright Woodworking 15 April 7th 04 06:15 AM
SEASONS GREETINGS BLOCKS Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 2 September 8th 03 06:06 PM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 05:08 AM