Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to move kitchen appliances safely?

I'm moving 30 miles away, and my stuff's being put inside a Luton Van.

I've got the 3 kitchen usuals - wash machine, fridge & a freezer.

Is there anything that I can stand them on inside the van to cushion
their journey?

The only thing I can think of is a big sheet of big-bubble bubblewrap,
but that sounds kind of ridiculous.

Thanks, regards, dnw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dot Net Work wrote:
I'm moving 30 miles away, and my stuff's being put inside a Luton Van.

I've got the 3 kitchen usuals - wash machine, fridge & a freezer.

Is there anything that I can stand them on inside the van to cushion
their journey?

Try the floor, they'll be fine. Just make sure that they can't bounce
around, i.e. tie them down firmly.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dot Net Work" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm moving 30 miles away, and my stuff's being put inside a Luton Van.

I've got the 3 kitchen usuals - wash machine, fridge & a freezer.

Is there anything that I can stand them on inside the van to cushion
their journey?

FWIW; my (clothes) washing machine came with a ginormous metal _Transit
Strap_ (which I've carefully kept and placed God only knows where. The 'wash
machine' usually contains a big drum mounted on shock absorbers (Springs
and/or hydraulic/gas struts) to cater for the spinning motion. AIUI, the
maechanism must be restrained during transit to obviate damage. Before you
worry about the cosmetic _outside_ of the machine , I'd worry about the
innards.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dot Net Work" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm moving 30 miles away, and my stuff's being put inside a Luton Van.

I've got the 3 kitchen usuals - wash machine, fridge & a freezer.

Is there anything that I can stand them on inside the van to cushion
their journey?

The only thing I can think of is a big sheet of big-bubble bubblewrap,
but that sounds kind of ridiculous.

They will be happier standing on a firm floor. Fit the original transport
fixings to the washing machine, or take the top off and tie the drum so that
it cannot wobble about. Cover the appliances with old blankets and strap
well to the internal goods rails.

Better still, get a removals firm to do the job - they have proper insurance
for your stuff while it is transit. You almost certainly will not be covered
if anything happens on the journey.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks a lot for all replies.

strap well to the internal goods rails.

Please could you advise what to use in this regard - thick string,
"spider clips", or rope?

Thanks a lot, regards, dnw.

nightjar wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain writes:
Probably not needed, but I would suggest you find the transit braces for
the washing machine and refit them to prevent the drum and
counterweights going bouncey bouncey smash inside the casing.

I also took the drum weights off, but that was to make the
machine more managable -- it became a one-man lift.

The fridge and freezer should be kept upright; blanket over the fine
tubes of the heat grille on the back to reduce likelihood of bashing.
Keep stood upright and stationary for 12-24 hrs after moving before
switching on.

Very true.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "Dot Net Work" contains these words:

I've got the 3 kitchen usuals - wash machine, fridge & a freezer.

Don't tip the freezer up. They don't like it. Apparently the oil in the
compressor sloshes around and gets into the capillary tubing and blocks
it. Keep it vertical and don't switch it on till it's been standing
upright for half a day after transport.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, MikeH
writes

wrote:
Try the floor, they'll be fine. Just make sure that they can't bounce
around, i.e. tie them down firmly.

...and make sure they can't rub against anything else while being
moved, or protect them in some way against rubbing contact caused by
vibration, bumps and jolts while being transported. This is far more
likely to cause damage than whatever it is they stand on.

And give the fridge and the freezer 24 hours to settle before plugging
them in

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Dot Net Work wrote:
I'm moving 30 miles away, and my stuff's being put inside a Luton Van.
I've got the 3 kitchen usuals - wash machine, fridge & a freezer.
Is there anything that I can stand them on inside the van to cushion
their journey?

Probably not needed, but I would suggest you find the transit braces for
the washing machine and refit them to prevent the drum and
counterweights going bouncey bouncey smash inside the casing.

Re-fitting them can sometimes be tricky - if you can even find them.

One tip I've come across is to stuff the drum really full with the contents
of the laundry basket. The friction between the contents and the inside of
the door is supposed to help dampen the vibration in transit. I haven't had
the need to do this so can't vouch for the effectiveness but it shouldn't
do any harm and might be better than doing nothing.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dot Net Work" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks a lot for all replies.

strap well to the internal goods rails.

Please could you advise what to use in this regard - thick string,
"spider clips", or rope?

Thanks a lot, regards, dnw.

Ideally, goods straps. They have hooks to engage in the goods rails and clip
that tensions the strap as you close it. Some have a ratchet to tighten the
strap, but that is really only for use with loads, such as machinery, that
can take the high loads they can impose. If you don't get straps with the
van, strong, non-stretch rope.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the info - about these straps, I've just had a look on ebay,
and you can get straps that can cope with different kilogram weights.
Some are 250kg, others are much higher for eg 900kg, and others in the
Ton category.

Also, the lengths vary too - some are 2 metres, others go up to 8
metres.

For 3 kitchen appliances in a Luton van, do you know very roughly which
ones I should get, and how many?

PS - got to order them today really for a Monday move, so any info asap
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, regards, dnw.

nightjar wrote:
"Dot Net Work" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks a lot for all replies.

strap well to the internal goods rails.

Please could you advise what to use in this regard - thick string,
"spider clips", or rope?

Thanks a lot, regards, dnw.

Ideally, goods straps. They have hooks to engage in the goods rails and clip
that tensions the strap as you close it. Some have a ratchet to tighten the
strap, but that is really only for use with loads, such as machinery, that
can take the high loads they can impose. If you don't get straps with the
van, strong, non-stretch rope.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dot Net Work" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the info - about these straps, I've just had a look on ebay,
and you can get straps that can cope with different kilogram weights.
Some are 250kg, others are much higher for eg 900kg, and others in the
Ton category.

Mine are rated at 500kg, but I would expect 250kg ones to cope quite happily
with three kitchen appliances.

Also, the lengths vary too - some are 2 metres, others go up to 8
metres.

8 metre straps will go right across a large load on a lorry, so are in the
overkill category. However, the length given is the maximum and it is the
nature of the straps that they can be adjusted for length, so too long will
usually be better than too short. The only caveat being that the end with
the buckle is a fixed length, which sets the minimum length you can use. I
find 3m straps a very useful length for holding things in my box trailer.

For 3 kitchen appliances in a Luton van, do you know very roughly which
ones I should get, and how many?

You will, at a minimum, need one around all three units at about 2/3 the
height of a worktop height unit. If you have a tall fridge freezer, you
would be advised to have another around the top of that. However, you will
probably find that an extra strap gives you better flexibility in how you
fix them inside the van. BTW, hiring a van with a tail lift would make
getting them in and out a lot easier and a sack truck is very useful for
moving them about. You can position a kitchen appliance very accurately with
a sack truck - again, use old blankets to protect the exterior when moving
them on a sack truck.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks a lot Colin!

I've just bought some cargo straps quite cheaply from ebay (1 x 6metre,
and 4 x 4metres) That ought to be well enough!

I think the removals chap mentioned tail-lift on the phone when we
arranged this, so that's good, and I'm just hoping he has a sack truck
- I think he's probably got something we could use. I can't afford to
get one now, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Oh, and I've got plenty of old curtains and things to protect the
exterior, and I could also stuff a load of old bed sheets in the drum
as well. Plus I've found the drum bracket thingy that I can bolt on to
the back before moving it. And I was thinking of taping some
bubblewrap to the backs of the fridge & freezer to protect the "coils"

Now all I need to do is turn off the stopcock and hope that'll allow me
to disconnect the pipe ok!

Cheers, all the best, from dnw.

nightjar wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
Owain wrote:

Probably not needed, but I would suggest you find the transit braces for
the washing machine and refit them to prevent the drum and
counterweights going bouncey bouncey smash inside the casing.

Re-fitting them can sometimes be tricky - if you can even find them....

Mine are gaffer taped to the back of the machine.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com contains
these words:

Probably not needed, but I would suggest you find the transit braces for
the washing machine and refit them to prevent the drum and
counterweights going bouncey bouncey smash inside the casing.

Re-fitting them can sometimes be tricky - if you can even find them....

Mine are gaffer taped to the back of the machine.

It wouldn't take the manufacturers more than a moment's thought to come
up with somewhere to park them.

--
Skipweasel

Wiring and plumbing a second kitchen Mulan Home Repair 5 July 8th 06 05:48 PM
New Kitchen Supply TheScullster UK diy 3 May 26th 06 10:22 AM
Kitchen Appliances Martin UK diy 6 November 18th 05 04:55 PM
Recomendation for kitchen Oliver Ciaravella UK diy 23 March 9th 05 01:29 AM
kitchen appliances Jeff UK diy 2 February 22nd 05 10:19 PM