Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default repairing plasterboard after removing tiles

Hi all

I removed some old tiles in the kitchen, resulting in the following
issues:

1/ In one area (20 x 30 cm approx) most of the underlying plasterboard
came off when I removed the tiles. Luckily this area will have new
tiles put on, so I don't need to make a perfectly seamless repair.
Would the best thing be to cut back the plasterboard to make a
clean-edged hole and cut a rectangle of new plasterboard to fit? The
plasterboard had been stuck onto the underlying breeze blocks with a
dab of something, can anyone tell me what I should use to stick the new
piece of plasterboard to the breeze blocks? Can I use Easi-Fill to fill
the gap between the new and old plasterboard?

2/ In another area, some more minor damage was caused: in places the
top layer of paper on the plasterboard tore, so I'm left with brown
'furry' paper exposed, and in places bare plasterboard. I wasn't
intending to retile this area, so I'm hoping to get the wall back to a
suitable state to be able to paint over it. Would be sensible to try to
skim over with Easi-Fill and sand down afterwards? Do I need to seal
the brown furry paper and/or the bare plasterboard areas before using
the Easi-Fill? Do I need to seal the Easi-Fill before painting over it?

many thanks for any advice on these topics

Julian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi all

I removed some old tiles in the kitchen, resulting in the following
issues:

1/ In one area (20 x 30 cm approx) most of the underlying plasterboard
came off when I removed the tiles. Luckily this area will have new
tiles put on, so I don't need to make a perfectly seamless repair.
Would the best thing be to cut back the plasterboard to make a
clean-edged hole and cut a rectangle of new plasterboard to fit? The
plasterboard had been stuck onto the underlying breeze blocks with a
dab of something, can anyone tell me what I should use to stick the new
piece of plasterboard to the breeze blocks? Can I use Easi-Fill to fill
the gap between the new and old plasterboard?

Use anything you like to go straight back to the breeze blocks. I'd go
for bonding plaster but whatever you have will do

2/ In another area, some more minor damage was caused: in places the
top layer of paper on the plasterboard tore, so I'm left with brown
'furry' paper exposed, and in places bare plasterboard. I wasn't
intending to retile this area, so I'm hoping to get the wall back to a
suitable state to be able to paint over it. Would be sensible to try to
skim over with Easi-Fill and sand down afterwards? Do I need to seal
the brown furry paper and/or the bare plasterboard areas before using
the Easi-Fill? Do I need to seal the Easi-Fill before painting over it?

If you're retiling, the tub adhesive makes quite a good skim. Sticks
well to just about anything and is fine enough to get a smooth finish.
Not as easy to sand but it's pretty easy to get a good finish with a
trowel.

many thanks for any advice on these topics

Julian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the info. In case 2/, I am not planning to retile as that
section of wall will no longer have a floor unit present in the new
kitchen layout. So I was wondering if Easi-Sand would be a suitable
medium to smooth over the damage?

thanks

Julian