Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default central heating controls wiring

Dear All,
I had a Honeywell room thermostat which controlled the Alpha Combi
boiler in the loft.
I tried to replace it with a Drayton Digistat 3. It did not work.
Can any one please expalin what is the meaning of the terms, call for
heat, satisfied etc?
What do thes wires do in real terms? When I put an ohm meter across the
three terminals of the digistat, nothing happens as the programme calls
for heat. Does this work by connecting terminal 1 to 3 or does it send
a voltage signal?
Can some please explain how the system works?
thanks
sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sarmavsn" wrote in message
s.com...
Dear All,
I had a Honeywell room thermostat which controlled the Alpha Combi
boiler in the loft.
I tried to replace it with a Drayton Digistat 3. It did not work.
Can any one please expalin what is the meaning of the terms, call for
heat, satisfied etc?
What do thes wires do in real terms? When I put an ohm meter across the
three terminals of the digistat, nothing happens as the programme calls
for heat. Does this work by connecting terminal 1 to 3 or does it send
a voltage signal?
Can some please explain how the system works?
thanks
sam

http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm should allow you to work
out your problem.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m,
sarmavsn wrote:
I had a Honeywell room thermostat which controlled the Alpha Combi
boiler in the loft. I tried to replace it with a Drayton Digistat 3.

IIRC, these are available in both battery and mains versions. Which one
have you?

It did not work. Can any one please expalin what is the meaning of the
terms, call for heat, satisfied etc?

If you imagine a switch with an input but two outputs one of which is
live and the other dead when the switch is 'off' and reverses when it is
'on'.
That's what most thermostats have with the 'switch' operated by the
thermostat.

With the thermostat set to higher than ambient temperature one output
becomes live and this is the call for heat sometimes marked 'on'. When the
room temperature exceeds that of the thermostat the switch changes over
and the call for heat becomes dead while the other (satisfied) output (can
be marked off) becomes live.

What do thes wires do in real
terms? When I put an ohm meter across the three terminals of the
digistat, nothing happens as the programme calls for heat. Does this
work by connecting terminal 1 to 3 or does it send a voltage signal? Can
some please explain how the system works?

The top terminal is the common so has the live feed. Next down is the on,
and the third off.

--
*If you can't see my mirrors, I'm doing my hair*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sarmavsn" wrote in message
s.com...
Dear All,
I had a Honeywell room thermostat which controlled the Alpha Combi
boiler in the loft.
I tried to replace it with a Drayton Digistat 3. It did not work.
Can any one please expalin what is the meaning of the terms, call for
heat, satisfied etc?
What do thes wires do in real terms? When I put an ohm meter across the
three terminals of the digistat, nothing happens as the programme calls
for heat. Does this work by connecting terminal 1 to 3 or does it send
a voltage signal?
Can some please explain how the system works?
thanks
sam

I think the best option would be to put your new Drayton Digistat 3 on Ebay
or get a refund and get one of these
http://www.alpha-boilers.co.uk/index.asp?wpid=109 which is specifically
designed for Alpha boilers. I've got one and it's absolutely brilliant.

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:

"sarmavsn" wrote in message
[...]

The one it's replacing doesn't seem to have been a 'special'. What's so
different about Alpha boilers?

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
John wrote:

"sarmavsn" wrote in message
[...]

The thermostat is a changeover switch. The live feed is switched to "Call
for heat" when the room is below temp and to "Satisfied" when it hits the
temp. Therefore the call for heat needs to be connected to the pump / boiler
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

"sarmavsn" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know if you actually clicked on the link Dave but it links to a page
on the Alpha website detailing the 7-day Wireless Digital Easy-Stat. The
clever part is that, being designed specifically for Alpha boilers the
receiver part of it just mounts in the boiler itself in an existing hole,
replacing the existing timer options one-for-one, utilising the same spade
connections. The transmitter can be mounted anywhere (but the OP will,
presumably, want it in the same place as his existing programmer). The whole
thing can be fitted, programmed and working within 5 minutes - and it can be
retro-fitted into existing Alpha boilers.

John.
PS, never sure about netiquette - should I be snipping out your (anyone's)
sig when I reply? It's not so bad on a single reply but it can take up loads
of room when it gets to 5 or 6 postings in a thread )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
I think the best option would be to put your new Drayton Digistat 3
on Ebay or get a refund and get one of these
http://www.alpha-boilers.co.uk/index.asp?wpid=109 which is
specifically designed for Alpha boilers. I've got one and it's
absolutely brilliant.

The one it's replacing doesn't seem to have been a 'special'. What's so
different about Alpha boilers?

The thermostat is a changeover switch. The live feed is switched to
"Call for heat" when the room is below temp and to "Satisfied" when it
hits the temp. Therefore the call for heat needs to be connected to the
pump / boiler .

The Drayton Digistat 3 is also a changeover type. So if the system worked
fine with the original Honeywell it will too with the Digistat.

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
The one it's replacing doesn't seem to have been a 'special'. What's so
different about Alpha boilers?

Don't know if you actually clicked on the link Dave but it links to a
page on the Alpha website detailing the 7-day Wireless Digital
Easy-Stat.

I did, but it's one of those websites that don't load properly on this
browser so I lost interest.

The clever part is that, being designed specifically for
Alpha boilers the receiver part of it just mounts in the boiler itself
in an existing hole, replacing the existing timer options one-for-one,
utilising the same spade connections. The transmitter can be mounted
anywhere (but the OP will, presumably, want it in the same place as his
existing programmer). The whole thing can be fitted, programmed and
working within 5 minutes - and it can be retro-fitted into existing
Alpha boilers.

Handy for a new fit, I'd say, but the OP just wants to replace an existing
stat with a different one, so the wiring must already be in place.

PS, never sure about netiquette - should I be snipping out your
(anyone's) sig when I reply? It's not so bad on a single reply but it
can take up loads of room when it gets to 5 or 6 postings in a thread
)

Yes, you should remove it. Better newsreaders will do it automatically as
that's the purpose of the sig separator. (-- )

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

PS, never sure about netiquette - should I be snipping out your
(anyone's) sig when I reply? It's not so bad on a single reply but it
can take up loads of room when it gets to 5 or 6 postings in a thread
)

A decent newsreader will do it for you - or even an indecent one with the
right plugins!

I use a thing called "OE-Quotefix" in conjunction with Outlook Express. It
automatically removes signatures, and leaves the cursor at the *bottom* -
just ready for typing your reply without any danger of top posting.

Quotefix is a free program (Google for downloading details) which attaches
itself to OE, and needs very little setting up - although it does have setup
options which you can use if you like.
--
Cheers,
Roger