Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternative to Solvent Weld adhesive

I'm mid project, and I have to make a solvent weld joint for a waste
trap. I normally use push fit stuff ... so no solvent glue in the
house. Will acetone, or nail varnish remover work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AndyB wrote:
I'm mid project, and I have to make a solvent weld joint for a waste
trap. I normally use push fit stuff ... so no solvent glue in the
house. Will acetone, or nail varnish remover work?

Try it? Try to cement two offcuts of pipe together

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AndyB wrote:

I'm mid project, and I have to make a solvent weld joint for a waste
trap. I normally use push fit stuff ... so no solvent glue in the
house. Will acetone, or nail varnish remover work?

Cellulose thinners probably will...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Cellulose thinners probably will...

It certainly does - thank you.

Andy :-)

PS How did you know that I'd have some Cellulose thinners ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AndyB wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Cellulose thinners probably will...

It certainly does - thank you.

Andy :-)

PS How did you know that I'd have some Cellulose thinners ...

gloss paint would too

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AndyB wrote:

PS How did you know that I'd have some Cellulose thinners ...

Because we all buy a can and then only find something useful to do with
it every ten years! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

thinners
Because we all buy a can and then only find something useful to do with
it every ten years! ;-)

It's good for shifting graffiti.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
AndyB wrote:

PS How did you know that I'd have some Cellulose thinners ...

Because we all buy a can and then only find something useful to do with
it every ten years! ;-)

Huh? I get through about a can every 6 months..

But then I have a hobby that uses a lot of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Huh? I get through about a can every 6 months..

But then I have a hobby that uses a lot of it.

(mental image of that said in a Kenneth Williams voice! ;-)

In fact I used to use far more of it when I was more routinely fiddling
with radio control boats.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:

The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

thinners

Because we all buy a can and then only find something useful to do with
it every ten years! ;-)

It's good for shifting graffiti.

That's interesting to know.

How long do you think it might be available? CFC's might see it banned
within the next 'very few years'.

Dave

I work at a school and graffiti is something that I have problems with
(getting rid of the offensive words, before 5 to 11 years old read/see
them.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Dave contains these words:

thinners

Because we all buy a can and then only find something useful to do with
it every ten years! ;-)

It's good for shifting graffiti.

That's interesting to know.

How long do you think it might be available? CFC's might see it banned
within the next 'very few years'.

Is it halogenated? I know an old tea-towel moistened with it removes all
the pen scribbles on the local playground. When you've got a four year
old practicing her reading on "Jay sucks cock" and so on it prompts some
direct action rather than waiting for the council to come and do it.
Though actually they're quite good and will be there in a day or two,
but it's just as easy to wipe it of yourself.

--
Skipweasel