Brick work to surround wood burning stove

Old August 1st 06, 06:31 PM
Junior Member

Default Brick work to surround wood burning stove

Hi there,

I have just taken out an old fireplace and I am going to replace it with a wood burning stove with a vertical outlet into the chimney. I have to replace a fair bit of the brick work before rendering, particularly since I can now see into the neighbouring property! I can't decide what sort of brick work to use within the fireplace to surround the stove. I really want to reflect as much heat back into the room, particularly due to the narrow divide between my fireplace and the neighbours one. Is it worth using firebricks to reflect more heat back into the room or perhaps some insulation behind some normal clay bricks would be a better idea?

Any suggestions much appreciated...
Old August 2nd 06, 07:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I used plaster board over the brickwork for insulation and make a flat
surface. Then tiled over the plaster board with a grey colouring added to
the grout. That was 5 years ago and the fire in the winter is great, it gets
to the point where you open a window to cool the room down when there's snow
outside. On a more serious note you should ensure that there is sufficient
air gap between the stove and the fire place to stop heat build up in the
brick work. There is usually a minimum gap that comes with the stove
installation instructions.

Bob

--
James

Old January 2nd 07, 12:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"James" wrote in message

Hi there,

I have just taken out an old fireplace and I am going to replace it
with a wood burning stove with a vertical outlet into the chimney. I
have to replace a fair bit of the brick work before rendering,
particularly since I can now see into the neighbouring property! I
can't decide what sort of brick work to use within the fireplace to
surround the stove. I really want to reflect as much heat back into
the room, particularly due to the narrow divide between my fireplace
and the neighbours one. Is it worth using firebricks to reflect more
heat back into the room or perhaps some insulation behind some normal
clay bricks would be a better idea?

Any suggestions much appreciated...

There are quite a number of web sites for wood burning stoves (which I came
across looking for chimney liners, and other flue components for my oil boiler).
Why don't you ask them for advice.

--

Michael Chare