Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Default Repointing - Tool

(Posted this early today but news server is not releasing it)

Hi all.
I will need to rake out the old mortar on my back yard walls.
What is the best power tool solution for this kind of job?

I think I also saw some kind of masonry router bit but can't remember
where.

Thanks.

Arthur.

And wishing everyone a 'splinterless' new year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:

(Posted this early today but news server is not releasing it)

Hi all.
I will need to rake out the old mortar on my back yard walls.
What is the best power tool solution for this kind of job?

I think I also saw some kind of masonry router bit but can't remember
where.

Thanks.

Arthur.

And wishing everyone a 'splinterless' new year.

Screwfix do a mortar rake bit like this
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...7982&ts=72811# which fits
onto an angle grinder. Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
51 wrote:

(Posted this early today but news server is not releasing it)

Hi all.
I will need to rake out the old mortar on my back yard walls.
What is the best power tool solution for this kind of job?

I think I also saw some kind of masonry router bit but can't remember
where.

Thanks.

Arthur.

And wishing everyone a 'splinterless' new year.

Screwfix do a mortar rake bit like this
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...7982&ts=72811# which fits
onto an angle grinder. Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?
--

Thanks.

Its an effective looking tool but I'm not keen on using an angle grinder in
such a manner
for about 10 -12 sq metres of wall.

I did a search for 'Mortar rake' and found that there are other methods out
there.
Axminster have some from Armeg.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...Rake-22130.htm
The mortar rake on this page looks like it would be used with the hammer
action only.

The other tools lower on the page look useful to me as there are some bricks
that are badly damaged.

Screwfix also sell this which seems a more usable tool.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...18 3&ts=79463

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
(Posted this early today but news server is not releasing it)

Hi all.
I will need to rake out the old mortar on my back yard walls.
What is the best power tool solution for this kind of job?

I think I also saw some kind of masonry router bit but can't remember
where.

Thanks.

Arthur.

And wishing everyone a 'splinterless' new year.

C&P from the other thread:

51 wrote:
Hi all.
I will need to rake out the old mortar on my back yard walls.
What is the best power tool solution for this kind of job?

I think I also saw some kind of masonry router bit but can't remember
where.
Thanks.

Arthur.

And wishing everyone a 'splinterless' new year.

An angle grinder with a carborundum disc, they make them in different
thicknesses, get a thick one, around 6mm, you'll also need a pick similar to
this:
http://snipurl.com/16ajf
for any stubborn parts, and for parts inaccessible by the grinder...the
picks aren't exactly like this, they're usually double pointed, but this was
the nearest pic I could find.

You'll need goggles, a dustmask and protective clothing, start at the top of
the wall and work downwards, do all the vertical joints you can reach
without moving, then the horizontal, working methodically like this is the
easiest and quickest way with pointing/raking out...don't start repointing
until it's all raked out, and more importantly, wash each wall down with a
hosepipe before starting the pointing, this will remove any dust/debris in
each joint and make pointing quicker and easier, in summer you can do this
immediately prior to pointing to kill the suction and improve adhesion, in
winter it should stay damp for a week or more anyway....you're aiming for
between 12-20mm depth on a crumbly existing mortar, and 5-10mm on a hard
mortar, the latter is more for decoration than anything else.

If you've never done any pointing before, when you start, you'll soon realie
that pointing trowels are manufactured incorrectly, inthat they are pointed,
you'll need to grind the point off so that the end of it is rounded, about
the contour of a 10p piece....if you are making your own hawk (or
handboard), use a thin piece of timber for the handle because a wider one
will give you severe cramp, a piece of brush steel is perfect, also a small
section of foam rubber or flat foam cushioning where the handle meets the
board will make things more comfortable during long boring hours pointing,
as will a radio.

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"51" wrote in message
SNIP

Axminster have some from Armeg.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...Rake-22130.htm
The mortar rake on this page looks like it would be used with the

hammer
action only.

The other tools lower on the page look useful to me as there are

some bricks
that are badly damaged.

Screwfix also sell this which seems a more usable tool.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...18 3&ts=79463

Arthur

Arthur,

I've used the one you quote from Axminster (though I got it from
Screwfix !) when I had to 'let in' 25 foot of lead flashing when I
built an attached garage. Absolutely brillient tool on my 1905 lime
mortared but cement pointed flank wall - took out a suitable depth
without damaging the bricks as I had feared it might. As I have a
valley against the house access was very limited hence not fancying
using a lump hammer and bolster. On an SDS drill on hammer only it was
a piece of cake.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"51" wrote in message

Its an effective looking tool but I'm not keen on using an angle grinder
in such a manner
for about 10 -12 sq metres of wall.

I did a search for 'Mortar rake' and found that there are other methods
out there.
Axminster have some from Armeg.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...Rake-22130.htm
The mortar rake on this page looks like it would be used with the hammer
action only.

The other tools lower on the page look useful to me as there are some
bricks that are badly damaged.

Screwfix also sell this which seems a more usable tool.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...18 3&ts=79463

Arthur

In the 80s we (Spouse, me and two teenage sons) raked out and re-mortared a
large semi in Bournemouth using only hand tools. It was very satisfying and
I wouldn't like to use a power tool for the job in the future.

Bricks do decay, mortar crumbles at different depths, I believe that using
'feel' is gentler and kinder to the structure than going for speed.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:

Hi all.
I will need to rake out the old mortar on my back yard walls.
What is the best power tool solution for this kind of job?

I think I also saw some kind of masonry router bit but can't remember
where.

If you want a very snazzy (and seriously pricy) way:

http://www.arbortech.com.au/view/as160150/allsaw-movie
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...saw-480335.htm
http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/pr...60-allsaw.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
51 wrote:

Hi all.
I will need to rake out the old mortar on my back yard walls.
What is the best power tool solution for this kind of job?

I think I also saw some kind of masonry router bit but can't remember
where.

If you want a very snazzy (and seriously pricy) way:

http://www.arbortech.com.au/view/as160150/allsaw-movie
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-A...saw-480335.htm
http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/pr...60-allsaw.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Must confess that I felt a little twinge downstairs when I saw that movie.
yep. I'd step over Scarlet Johnson to own one of those devils.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"51" writes:
(Posted this early today but news server is not releasing it)

Hi all.
I will need to rake out the old mortar on my back yard walls.
What is the best power tool solution for this kind of job?

I would say that generally if it needs a power tool, it doesn't
need doing. There are exceptions (like where some clueless person
has pointed with pure cement, or a very strong mortar which has
shrunk and cracked).

I use a tool which looks like the front wheels from an old roller-
skate, with a handle and a replaceable nail which you set the depth
you want to rake out to.

--
Andrew Gabriel

More on repointing . . . Ray Home Repair 4 June 24th 06 08:52 PM
Repointing? ? ? Ray Home Repair 7 June 24th 06 04:48 AM
Mortar and repointing Steve Jones UK diy 5 October 2nd 04 05:47 PM
repointing therebel UK diy 0 February 27th 04 08:27 PM
repointing brickwork [email protected] UK diy 37 January 19th 04 02:25 PM