Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Burning of the wood

when going across the grain is what I'm experiencing when routing,I've been
told to wet the wood but this is not an ideal way to route as the wood will
cut like pulp.

Cant be the cutter as I've changed to a new one.

Anyone experience this and what have you done to minimize the
burning(scorching) of the wood across the grain?

I do know,too slow the glide of the router across the wood has this effect
but dont experience it going with the grain.

Thanks.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
when going across the grain is what I'm experiencing when routing,I've
been
told to wet the wood but this is not an ideal way to route as the wood
will
cut like pulp.

Cant be the cutter as I've changed to a new one.

Anyone experience this and what have you done to minimize the
burning(scorching) of the wood across the grain?

I do know,too slow the glide of the router across the wood has this effect
but dont experience it going with the grain.

Take off less with the final cut and move it faster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
when going across the grain is what I'm experiencing when
routing,I've been
told to wet the wood but this is not an ideal way to route as the
wood will
cut like pulp.

Cant be the cutter as I've changed to a new one.

Anyone experience this and what have you done to minimize the
burning(scorching) of the wood across the grain?

I do know,too slow the glide of the router across the wood has this
effect but dont experience it going with the grain.

Take off less with the final cut and move it faster.

I always do at least three to four passes Dennis.

The cut is only 4" wide Dennis how fast do I need to go over that amount.
:-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
when going across the grain is what I'm experiencing when
routing,I've been told to wet the wood but this is not an ideal way
to route as the wood will cut like pulp.

Cant be the cutter as I've changed to a new one.

Anyone experience this and what have you done to minimize the
burning(scorching) of the wood across the grain?

I do know,too slow the glide of the router across the wood has this
effect but dont experience it going with the grain.

Some woods just burn like this, but across the grain is always worse.

If your router has a depth turret, plunge the router so you get the profile
you want & lock it. Rout away all round.

Now raise the depth stop and insert the corner of a playing card (which is
around 0.3mm) as a shim into the gap. Plunge the router this additional
0.3mm and rout again.

Playing vards are useful as shims. Depending on make 52 cards will be
between 14 and 17mm thick.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman