Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Free plans for a simple bed

I would like to build a very basic single bed as a experiment to see if
I can "build stuff". Can anyone tell me where I might get free plans
for a simple bed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-07-26 08:45:28 +0100, said:

I would like to build a very basic single bed as a experiment to see if
I can "build stuff". Can anyone tell me where I might get free plans
for a simple bed?

www.plansnow.com

Search using "bed" and there are about 8 different ones of differing
levels of complexity.

Not quite free, but generally are OK. You can buy on line and download
the PDF.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks. But I should point out I haven't built anything from wood since
I was in school. And even then I wasn't good at it. While there are
lots of interesting looking plans on those sites, I was thinking of
something even simpler than those. And they list many tools that I
don't have. Not difficult as I don't really have any tools at all.

I was wondering if I could build something like the following. Imagine
that I choose some square wood for the legs of the bed. I chop off two
lengths for the shorter feet-end legs, trying to keep the tops very
flat. I then cut off two longer pieces for the head end. I'd probably
get the wood from my local B&Q and could get many of these cuts done
there by them.

I then take some other, flat wood, and create a square, with one leg in
each inside corner of the square. Something like (looking from the
top), if the four pieces of flat wood are numbered 1 to 4 and L for
legs:

111111111
2L L3
2 3
2 3
2L L3
444444444

The "square" would be attached so that its top is flush with the top of
the shorter legs, and perhaps half way up the top of the longer (head
end) legs.

I then attach slats (simple pieces of wood) over the top of the square
frame I now have. I'd alos put slats across the upper parts of the
"head end" two legs that stick up above the main part of the bed to
make something head-board-ish.

I'd have to make the main part of the bed big enough to hold a target
mattress size, plus a bit more so that if I found that the mattress
moved around a bit I could add some extra bits of wood to make a "lip"
around the top of the bed to hold the mattress in.

I note that the full weight of the person + mattress would be taken by
the attachment of boards 2 and 3 to the legs, so those attachments
(screws, nails?) would have to be strong. The shape of the bed would be
kept by the attachments of boards 1 and 4, so they would have to be
reasonably strong. I would hope the rest (slats, lip if used) could be
connected using wood glue.

Finally, I add some sort of rubber things to the bottoms of the legs,
paint or varnish it, and I'm done.

This would be at best an occasional visitor bed at best, and just a
practice problem at worst.

Has anyone got any comments?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks. But I should point out I haven't built anything from wood since
I was in school. And even then I wasn't good at it. While there are
lots of interesting looking plans on those sites, I was thinking of
something even simpler than those. And they list many tools that I
don't have. Not difficult as I don't really have any tools at all.

A bed is easy and cheap, and the joints are mostly hidden in use so
even if a bit rough you can pull it off ok.

The only tools you need to make a bed are a screwdriver & saw.
Preferably, but not essentially, also a drill & bit.

I was wondering if I could build something like the following. Imagine
that I choose some square wood for the legs of the bed. I chop off two
lengths for the shorter feet-end legs, trying to keep the tops very
flat.

How to get those ends squa mark round the wood first using a 90
degree angle. A piece of paper gives you a 90 degree angle, no real
need for a set square.

2x3 would make a nice frame, or if money is very tight a 2x2 frame
would be about as light as could survive. But 2x2s would have to have
metal L bracket under each joint to prevent it splitting and breaking.
If course if you weighed 50 stone all bets are off!

Enough planed wood to make it in 2x2 or 2x3 would cost peanuts.

I then cut off two longer pieces for the head end. I'd probably
get the wood from my local B&Q and could get many of these cuts done
there by them.

dont be too adventurous

I then take some other, flat wood, and create a square, with one leg in
each inside corner of the square. Something like (looking from the
top), if the four pieces of flat wood are numbered 1 to 4 and L for
legs:

111111111
2L L3
2 3
2 3
2L L3
444444444

May I suggest a slight improvement:

L1111111L
2 3
2 3
2 3
2 3
L4444444L

either would work, this just hides the cut ends and looks better.

The "square" would be attached so that its top is flush with the top of
the shorter legs, and perhaps half way up the top of the longer (head
end) legs.

I then attach slats (simple pieces of wood) over the top of the square
frame I now have.

Slats are an expensive and non-advantageous way to do it. If you use
them, recommend 3/4" wood. A sheet of half inch chip is much cheaper
and quicker, and it also stiffens up the frame and spreads loads
better. Cutting 4 corners out of the chip so it sits on all 4 frame
pieces will reduce the loading on the frame joints, making it more
robust.

I'd alos put slats across the upper parts of the
"head end" two legs that stick up above the main part of the bed to
make something head-board-ish.

You could, but you'd see lots of raw cut ends. I'd be tempted to put a
frame-size strip across the top:

LTTTTTTL
L L
L L
L L

then get assorted garden sticks and attach them upright in the space to
make a pretty rustic finish. Cut the end of stick so its sits flat
against the head frame, and attach with a pin and wood glue or pva

I'd have to make the main part of the bed big enough to hold a target
mattress size, plus a bit more so that if I found that the mattress
moved around a bit I could add some extra bits of wood to make a "lip"
around the top of the bed to hold the mattress in.

no need

I note that the full weight of the person + mattress would be taken by
the attachment of boards 2 and 3 to the legs, so those attachments
(screws, nails?) would have to be strong.

yes, even commercial wood beds can sometimes collapse here. Those 8cm
2.5mm steel L brackets that have 5 fixing holes on each bit will make
it tough as nails. If you use thin screws you dont have to predrill for
them, though if youve got a suitable drill it is definitely better to.

The shape of the bed would be
kept by the attachments of boards 1 and 4, so they would have to be
reasonably strong. I would hope the rest (slats, lip if used) could be
connected using wood glue.

you can, but the more you stick to screws, the more disassemblable,
tweakable, upgradeable and takedownable it is.

Finally, I add some sort of rubber things to the bottoms of the legs,

no need.

paint or varnish it, and I'm done.

clear varnish is best, anything else ends up looking tatty.

This would be at best an occasional visitor bed at best, and just a
practice problem at worst.

Has anyone got any comments?

Go for it, its easy to do and great to accomplish stuff.

When youve done it, its easy enough to add a few fancy touches too.
With another £1 in equipment you can give it a more professional
finish.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Has anyone got any comments?

Two pallets.
--