Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Made an evaporative air cooler today...

Already have a fairly large 20" box fan, so bought 8 cheap and
cheerful hand towels, wet them well and hung each one over a hanger in
front of the fan, with a gap of 2" in between.

Noted that the side nearest the fan dries quickest, so doubled up a
third of the towel on this side (so half with two layers, half with
one)

Also noted that the best cooling is had when the towels are quite damp
but not wringing wet.

Anyway, got an air temp of 26°C coming out of the cooler vs. a room
temp of 34°C, so quite nice when sitting in front of it. Room humidity
wasn't changed much at 45-50%.

Also bought a cheap pump sprayer to keep the towels damp, looks like
spraying the tops every 30 mins with half a litre of water works well
without them getting dripping wet.

Tomorrow might make a frame of strip wood to hang the towels on and so
keeps each side 1" apart to double the number of layers. Also under
consideration is making a 'tray' of thick polythene with rows of very
small perforations to make it easier to keep the towels damp.

Currently giving 23°C vs a room temp of 30°C so will have to turn off
soon as am getting a bit chilly!

So, if you have a large fan and need some extra cooling it might be
worth a try... Even putting damp laundry on an airer and blowing air
though it should lower the air temperature some way.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C wrote:

So, if you have a large fan and need some extra cooling it might be
worth a try... Even putting damp laundry on an airer and blowing air
though it should lower the air temperature some way.

cheers,
Pete.

Interesting bit of DIY - personally I'd question increasing the humidity
or the air in the house any further, but if the results suit you then
congratulations! Try overnight - see if it helps getting a decent nights
kip in this weather.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C used his keyboard to write :
Already have a fairly large 20" box fan, so bought 8 cheap and
cheerful hand towels, wet them well and hung each one over a hanger in
front of the fan, with a gap of 2" in between.

Noted that the side nearest the fan dries quickest, so doubled up a
third of the towel on this side (so half with two layers, half with
one)

Try hanging lower edge of the towels in a tray of water, capillary
action might be enough to draw the water up.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:12:18 UTC, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Pete C used his keyboard to write :
Already have a fairly large 20" box fan, so bought 8 cheap and
cheerful hand towels, wet them well and hung each one over a hanger in
front of the fan, with a gap of 2" in between.

Noted that the side nearest the fan dries quickest, so doubled up a
third of the towel on this side (so half with two layers, half with
one)

Try hanging lower edge of the towels in a tray of water, capillary
action might be enough to draw the water up.

Capillary matting from a garden shop?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:
Pete C wrote:

So, if you have a large fan and need some extra cooling it might be
worth a try... Even putting damp laundry on an airer and blowing air
though it should lower the air temperature some way.

cheers,
Pete.

Interesting bit of DIY - personally I'd question increasing the humidity
or the air in the house any further, but if the results suit you then
congratulations! Try overnight - see if it helps getting a decent nights
kip in this weather.

Nice to see someone else has also found they can work. There seems to
be a fair bit of argument over evap coolers in our damp climate. From
what I've observed, they do work at providing cooling in a small zone
right in front of the fan, and if youre willing to sit next to one this
makes quite a comfort difference on hot days. The requirements for
cooling a building and just providing a local coolspot are different.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:

Interesting bit of DIY - personally I'd question increasing the
humidity or the air in the house any further, but if the results suit
you then congratulations! Try overnight - see if it helps getting a
decent nights kip in this weather.

Best way of getting a decent nights kip is to have ceiling fans. I've got
them in every room apart from kitchen & bathrooom. About £25 each and take
30 mins to install max. Often wondered why more people don't have them.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:

Interesting bit of DIY - personally I'd question increasing the
humidity or the air in the house any further, but if the results suit
you then congratulations! Try overnight - see if it helps getting a
decent nights kip in this weather.

Best way of getting a decent nights kip is to have ceiling fans. I've got
them in every room apart from kitchen & bathrooom. About £25 each and take
30 mins to install max. Often wondered why more people don't have them.

Actually, in my case, the fear that an adventurous sex life and 8 foot
ceilings might not peacefully co-exist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

Nice to see someone else has also found they can work. There seems to
be a fair bit of argument over evap coolers in our damp climate. From
what I've observed, they do work at providing cooling in a small zone
right in front of the fan, and if youre willing to sit next to one this
makes quite a comfort difference on hot days. The requirements for
cooling a building and just providing a local coolspot are different.

They will work ATM as the RH is only about 50%.
Try it tonight when the thunderstorms are about and the RH is 100% and the
results will be different.
They don't work for most of the uncomfortable time in the UK is a more
accurate statement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Dodd" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:

Interesting bit of DIY - personally I'd question increasing the
humidity or the air in the house any further, but if the results suit
you then congratulations! Try overnight - see if it helps getting a
decent nights kip in this weather.

Best way of getting a decent nights kip is to have ceiling fans. I've
got them in every room apart from kitchen & bathrooom. About £25 each
and take 30 mins to install max. Often wondered why more people don't
have them.

Actually, in my case, the fear that an adventurous sex life and 8 foot
ceilings might not peacefully co-exist.

You lack imagination.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message k
from "The Medway Handyman" contains
these words:

Often wondered why more people don't have them.

Low ceilings.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Mike Dodd contains these words:

ceiling fans
Actually, in my case, the fear that an adventurous sex life and 8 foot
ceilings might not peacefully co-exist.

You might have to put the pole-vaulting pole away for a while.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Dodd
wrote:

Actually, in my case, the fear that an adventurous sex life and 8 foot
ceilings might not peacefully co-exist.

Are you suggesting that you are "My friend Billy" ? But then that was a
rake, rather than a fan. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
from "The Medway Handyman" contains

Often wondered why more people don't have them.

Low ceilings.

Yes. But its easy to design ones for low ceilings, touch safe ones, I
dont know why theyre not on sale. It would be a very low profile
tangential fan with powder coated gauze cover. Maybe manufacturers lack
any imagination.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Mike Dodd wrote:
[ceiling fans]
Actually, in my case, the fear that an adventurous sex life and 8 foot
ceilings might not peacefully co-exist.

Take out life assurance and declare August is Woman On Top Month.

The payout will pay for air-conditioning and an open top sports car.

A win, win, win situation.

Owain

Okay, been to Homebase, one fitted, together with a remote control.

Wife has a private pension, although not convinced it'd pay out enough
to cover the redecorating.

Woman on Top Month... Hmmmm....

Already got Air-Conditioning in the toy room. (hoping the airflow from
the fan in the bedroom will help circulate the air about a bit more)

(and no, don't try fitting one at 20:20, only to finish at 21:40 when
the light's *really* fading. Off for a bath to de-sweat)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:05:23 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Mike Dodd wrote:

Interesting bit of DIY - personally I'd question increasing the
humidity or the air in the house any further, but if the results suit
you then congratulations! Try overnight - see if it helps getting a
decent nights kip in this weather.

Best way of getting a decent nights kip is to have ceiling fans. I've got
them in every room apart from kitchen & bathrooom. About £25 each and take
30 mins to install max. Often wondered why more people don't have them.

Same here, we have them in the lounge and bedroom (daughter has a wall
mounted fan as her bed is up on the wall) and it lets us survive in
this weather. In fact when we go round folks houses without them we
feel stifled ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. It's a Victorian house with highish ceilings so even with the
water bed we have been ok so far ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

p.s. It's a Victorian house with highish ceilings so even with the
water bed we have been ok so far ;-)

Even at high tide? :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 23:11:47 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

T i m wrote:

p.s. It's a Victorian house with highish ceilings so even with the
water bed we have been ok so far ;-)

Even at high tide? :-)

So far yes .. but I suppose there is the small risk of a mini Tsunami
temporarily elevating the water level enough .. ;-(

That could take some explaining to the wife, my girlfriends
decapitated head on the bed? ;-(

Mind you it would probably end the same if the missus found out, cept
with my head .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m