Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Tempur Matress

Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they cost??

TIA

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message
Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they
cost??

TIA

Steve

Probably not.
But you don't really need to buy a mattress. Buy what is called a "topper".
You can get them in single size, double size, king size, etc... The memory
foam that is used only needs to be 2 to 3 inches thick to be effective. I
bought mine from QVC (or was it Ideal World). The one I have is
"structured". Raised squares of various sizes are used, which cater for the
different parts of the body. I'm well pleased with mine.

Sylvain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Dawson wrote:

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they cost??

Purely hearsay, but someone once told me that they are wonderful to
start with, but the beneficial effect wears off (shortly after the
money-back guarantee!)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message
Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they
cost??

TIA

Steve

Dunno! But; I bought pillows off the Tempura stand at the Grand Design Show
recently. My wife and I selected different sized pillows - we were
seperately 'measured' and tried out various ones. Mine is the 'Large male's
pattern' whilst her's is the 'slight Lady's pattern'. I wouldn't be without
my Tempura pillow. ....

The mattress is a considerable cost .... perhaps next year?

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message
Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they
cost??

TIA

Steve

I looked hard at them but I can't understand how you can turn over easily if
your body makes its own depression. I have enough of a problem turning over
anyway - and need to turn during the night.

We paid a lot of money (£700 is a lot to us) for a latex/coir/latex sandwich
mattress and apart from being very warm (no hot water bottles needed on the
coldest nights) it's immensely comfortable.

I was delighted that it came with a beautiful, closely woven, stout, zip-off
linen cover so that the cover can be washed.

It's far better than the once comfortable spring interior mattress we had
before. I expect it will see us out.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:45:22 GMT, "Stephen Dawson"
wrote:

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they cost??

My £800 latex mattress has been an excellent investment, even at that
price. Even people who normally sleep badly comment afterwards on how
well they've slept.

Tempur or other visco-elastic foams I'm not convinced by - I've not
slept on it, but I've experience of it as seat cushions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in
:

Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they
cost??

I bought one with my new charpoi. Not a tempura, but a similar thing.

It's an interesting experience. like lying down on a board.

However, after the apparent initial discomfort, it seems fine.

I am most impressed by the _lack_ of experience; you don't notice
anything except a good nights sleep.

Same with the pillow, after the initial ear-flattenig impact, it's fine

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jo Jo is offline

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

[...]

I totally agree....we have the same, but having changed beds/mattresses 3
times in one year 'cos I couldn't get comfortable, I have now found the
solution!

It doesn't half get warm though, as you say!

Jo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Dawson wrote:

Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they
cost??

TIA

Steve

Having recently bought one, my answer would have to be "No". It seems
you pay an awful large premium for the Tempur name.

Having said that, my back problems are certainly easing as time passes,
but expect this benefit would have been the same for any of the cheaper
memory foam mattresses.

As Mary says, turning and moving around the bed is a sight to see -
think beached walrus - but mine is the thickest available mattress -
25cms and I am on the heavy side so I do sink a long way into it.

However, I used to be a hell of a fidget in bed, but now I'm hardly
aware of moving at all. I guess I only need to turn once or twice a
night, the mattress is so much more comfortable. Heat isn't a problem
for me.

I suspect that a topper would be unlikely to give such pronounced
benefits unless your existing bed is of exceptional quality.

Hope that helps.

--
Geoff Beale
Extract digit to email.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message
Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they
cost??

TIA

Steve

I looked hard at them but I can't understand how you can turn over easily if
your body makes its own depression. I have enough of a problem turning over
anyway - and need to turn during the night.

We bought a cheap Chinese copy (still expensive though). I like it, my
wife hates it. She liked it in the shop, and for the first night, but
found it too soft and not easy to turn over. She's a wriggler, and I'm
am 'out-for-the-count'er - this might be important.

It's been relegated to the guest suite. Sometimes I steal a good night
on it...

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jo" wrote in message

[...]

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Jo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Downing wrote:
We bought a cheap Chinese copy (still expensive though). I like it, my
wife hates it. She liked it in the shop, and for the first night, but
found it too soft and not easy to turn over. She's a wriggler, and I'm
am 'out-for-the-count'er - this might be important.

It's been relegated to the guest suite. Sometimes I steal a good night
on it...

R.

Isn't tempura the Japanese version? ;-)

The tempur ones are quite dense and You do tend to get "stuck" in them
until you get used to them. I ended up being "cheap" and bought a
"truesleeper" kingsize topper from thane for about £140. I used to
rush home to lie on it. It's not as dense as the tempur so is a bit
more inbetween regular foam and memory foam. Yes, in a way the effect
has worn off but I think that's just because I've gotten used to it.
Because most of your body is in contact with the bed they can get
uncomfortably warm. ...or snug depending on your preference.

I have/had a back problem and in short - some of the best money I've
ever spent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they
cost??

My £800 latex mattress has been an excellent investment, even at that
price. Even people who normally sleep badly comment afterwards on how
well they've slept.

Tempur or other visco-elastic foams I'm not convinced by - I've not
slept on it, but I've experience of it as seat cushions.

And?

When I considered getting our latex mattress Spouse was horrified at the
price. I pointed out that if we both die two years after getting it we'll
have had a good night's sleep for only a pound a night. that convinced him.
Cheaper than a tot of whisky.

Since my amibition is to live for four years so that I can eat my own
asparagus it will be even cheaper.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message
Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they
cost??

TIA

Steve

I bought a Topper from these guys who make the foam.
www.vitafoam.co.uk
Just a bed size sheet 50mm thick.
No branding
IIRC about £45 for a king size.
Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Stephen Dawson wrote:

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that
they cost??

The which magazine had the memory foam topper 3 " as the best buy and far
cheaper than Tempura,I paid just under £100 for mine and it is so cosy amd
comfortable the pillow takes some getting used to,but I think I got a
bargain as I hardly turn over now and I used to be a real pain.go ahead and
get one.

Purely hearsay, but someone once told me that they are wonderful to
start with, but the beneficial effect wears off (shortly after the
money-back guarantee!)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they cost??

TIA

Steve

Here's my 2pth - with a shortish story to go with it.

Four years ago I bought a new house in Scotland with a reasonable
amount of land. the land needed a *lot* of work doing to it, so I set
about the required tasks with gusto. Having spend the previous 20 odd
years 'flying a desk', I overdid it (and was obviously way too unfit
to have considered doing it according to my GP). Somehow I seriously
damaged a sacro-iliac joint, and was in unbearable pain when lying
down for many months. Painkillers, Physio and just about everything
the NHS had to offer barring surgery had no effect.

(2 years later)

After 2 years without a single full nights sleep, I decided to see
what happened with one of these visco-elastic mattresses. I didn't
think that the name 'Tempur' was worth an extra £1000, so I bought a
generic one off the 'net for around £650.

After TWO WEEKS on this mattress, I was sleeping through the night,
and haven't had a back problem since.

I wouldn't trade it back for anything. When we're away from home for
even a few nights, and have to sleep on 'normal' spung mattresses, I
can still feel the old pains coming back, but nothing like before. The
matress really did chage my life.

And no, I'm not affiliated to any manufacturer, and can't even
remember which website I bought my original one from - but when we
bought a new flat earlier this year, and needed a new bed for it - we
made damn sure that it came with a similar mattress.

Hope you find your new matress as equally life-enhancing!

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Dawson wrote:
Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they cost??

Have a look at ebay item 220003777194 - it's a german company, they
have lots of them listed. About £200 delivered for a king size.
There's a thread on usenet somewhere from a uk guy who bought one, said
it was great. Tempur may well be better, but maybe they just have an
expensive trademark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

Dunno! But; I bought pillows off the Tempura stand at the Grand Design
Show recently. My wife and I selected different sized pillows - we were
seperately 'measured' and tried out various ones. Mine is the 'Large
male's pattern' whilst her's is the 'slight Lady's pattern'. I wouldn't be
without my Tempura pillow. ....

Does that come with dipping sauce?

Cheers
Dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they cost??

My £800 latex mattress has been an excellent investment, even at that
price. Even people who normally sleep badly comment afterwards on how
well they've slept.

You have a lot of different people sleeping in your bed Andy? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:18:40 +0100, Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote
(in article ):

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

Dunno! But; I bought pillows off the Tempura stand at the Grand Design
Show recently. My wife and I selected different sized pillows - we were
seperately 'measured' and tried out various ones. Mine is the 'Large
male's pattern' whilst her's is the 'slight Lady's pattern'. I wouldn't be
without my Tempura pillow. ....

Does that come with dipping sauce?

Cheers
Dan.

That remark deserves a light battering....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:39:56 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message .com
from contains these words:

Isn't tempura the Japanese version? ;-)

I'm going to market a tofu mattress, for people who get snackish in bed.

Marshmallow would be more edible.
--
Get away from it all
http://www.travelfreebies.co.uk/thomson-holidays.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:00:57 +0100, mogga wrote
(in article ):

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:39:56 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message .com
from contains these words:

Isn't tempura the Japanese version? ;-)

I'm going to market a tofu mattress, for people who get snackish in bed.

Marshmallow would be more edible.

This amuses mi so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mogga" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:39:56 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message .com
from contains these words:

Isn't tempura the Japanese version? ;-)

I'm going to market a tofu mattress, for people who get snackish in bed.

Marshmallow would be more edible.

bleurch!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

aboleth wrote:
Stephen Dawson wrote:

Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they cost??

Have a look at ebay item 220003777194 - it's a german company, they
have lots of them listed. About £200 delivered for a king size.
There's a thread on usenet somewhere from a uk guy who bought one, said
it was great. Tempur may well be better, but maybe they just have an
expensive trademark.

I (we!) considered one: there is a considerable weight difference
between me and SWMBO; I sleep as if dead but do move about and she can't
wake me when I have occupied most of the bed and am pushing her off the
edge; she is a very light sleeper. Friend who has one thinks it
wonderful but, and this is what stopped us buying one, finds it very
warm. As I would gladly have the bedroom windows wide open all year
round and use a summer duvet ditto, this is a show stopper. We might
consider the pillows. We did try lying on Tempur mattresses at our
local bed shop in sensory deprivation booths and found them quite
pleasant apart from the feeling of sinking into the mattress and being
enveloped - I like to sleep on a mattress, something to do with staying
cool I think.

IIRC the Tempur advertisments offer a money back guarantee.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jul 2006 04:01:42 -0700, "Tournifreak"
wrote:

You have a lot of different people sleeping in your bed Andy? :-)

Well that's the great thing about them - no matter how many are in it,
you don't all roll into a pile in the middle.

I bought mine because a couple of friends of mine had latex mattresses.
They also had another in a house they rented to me for a while and that
was what convinced me buy mine. Now theirs' is in their guest room and
everyone who stays on it agrees.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

snip

male's pattern' whilst her's is the 'slight Lady's pattern'. I wouldn't
be
without my Tempura pillow. ....

Does that come with dipping sauce?

That remark deserves a light battering....

Sorry - one quite simply could *not* resist.

Cheers
Dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:32:21 +0100, Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote
(in article ):

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

snip

male's pattern' whilst her's is the 'slight Lady's pattern'. I wouldn't
be
without my Tempura pillow. ....

Does that come with dipping sauce?

That remark deserves a light battering....

Sorry - one quite simply could *not* resist.

Cheers
Dan.

that's the trouble with tempura, although sashimi is worse

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message

... this is what stopped us buying one, finds it very warm. As I would
gladly have the bedroom windows wide open all year round and use a summer
duvet ditto, this is a show stopper.

We always have a window open and for the last two or three weeks we've
either just had a sheet or nothing over us. The night before last I didn't
even wear a nightie and had nothing covering me. Not a pretty sight but
no-one was looking.

... - I like to sleep on a mattress,

So do I. A long time ago we had a feather mattress - but not for long. That
sinking feeling which everyone seems to desire was claustrophobic.

I'll stick with the latex. Warm but only underneath! We can add stuff on
top.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 22:38:56 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
had this to say:

"Richard" wrote in message

... this is what stopped us buying one, finds it very warm. As I would
gladly have the bedroom windows wide open all year round and use a summer
duvet ditto, this is a show stopper.

We always have a window open and for the last two or three weeks we've
either just had a sheet or nothing over us.

Me too. I also have a 16" pedestal fan wafting cool(ish) air across
the bed.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Jul 2006 02:06:55 -0700, "aboleth" wrote:

Stephen Dawson wrote:
Dear All,

I was just wondering if these matresses are worht the money that they cost??

Have a look at ebay item 220003777194 - it's a german company, they
have lots of them listed. About £200 delivered for a king size.
There's a thread on usenet somewhere from a uk guy who bought one, said
it was great. Tempur may well be better, but maybe they just have an
expensive trademark.

Hi,

They're a bit on the firm side, anything that takes up to a 25st
person can't be too soft! They can make them in custom sizes though.

cheers,
Pete.