Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do you have to pay capital gains tax on profit made from a house sale?

Hi,

We're thinking of selling our house and moving to Ireland.
We expect to make 100k profit on our house from when we bought it.
Will we have to pay capital gains tax on the profit?
We will be using the profit to finance a new home in Ireland?

Thanks,
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 10:27:22 GMT, "." wrote:

wrote:
Hi,

We're thinking of selling our house and moving to Ireland.
We expect to make 100k profit on our house from when we bought it.
Will we have to pay capital gains tax on the profit?
We will be using the profit to finance a new home in Ireland?

Thanks,
John

if it's your main residence, no.

if it's your main residence and you've lived there less than 12 months, yes.

Also if you've ever rented it out for more than 3 years, yes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

We're thinking of selling our house and moving to Ireland.
We expect to make 100k profit on our house from when we bought it.
Will we have to pay capital gains tax on the profit?
We will be using the profit to finance a new home in Ireland?

Thanks,
John

if it's your main residence, no.

if it's your main residence and you've lived there less than 12 months, yes.

Also if you've ever rented it out for more than 3 years, yes.

Unless it was to a relative. IIRC those who bought their parents'
council flats under the right to buy scheme had relief or exemption from
CGT if the parent(s) stayed on as tenants.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

We're thinking of selling our house and moving to Ireland.
We expect to make 100k profit on our house from when we bought it.
Will we have to pay capital gains tax on the profit?
We will be using the profit to finance a new home in Ireland?

Thanks,
John

if it's your main residence, no.

if it's your main residence and you've lived there less than 12 months, yes.

Also if you've ever rented it out for more than 3 years, yes.

Unless it was to a relative. IIRC those who bought their parents'
council flats under the right to buy scheme had relief or exemption from
CGT if the parent(s) stayed on as tenants.

Quite.

But actualy I think I should have said that if it wasnt your main
residence for more than 3 years. You could have rented it out or left
it empty for 3 years to get hit.