How can I cool my loft?

Old July 2nd 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How can I cool my loft?

I have an extremely hot loft, which is keeping the top half of my house hot
as well. I'm running 2 large air conditioners upstairs, but the heat isn't
escaping through the loft which is at least 10 degrees hotter. Downstairs is
around 5-6 degrees cooler than upstairs.

I don't have a loft skylight (nor the will or cash to install one), so does
anyone have any ideas on how to cool the loft so that I can get rid of some
heat upstairs?

Thanks!

Old July 2nd 06, 08:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message
I have an extremely hot loft, which is keeping the top half of my house hot
as well. I'm running 2 large air conditioners upstairs, but the heat isn't
escaping through the loft which is at least 10 degrees hotter. Downstairs
is around 5-6 degrees cooler than upstairs.

I don't have a loft skylight (nor the will or cash to install one), so
does anyone have any ideas on how to cool the loft so that I can get rid
of some heat upstairs?

Thanks!

put an extract fan in the loft area, either to an outside wall or a chimney
or even through a tile

Old July 2nd 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 19:19:24 GMT someone who may be "mentalguy2004"
wrote this:-

I have an extremely hot loft, which is keeping the top half of my house hot
as well. I'm running 2 large air conditioners upstairs, but the heat isn't
escaping through the loft which is at least 10 degrees hotter. Downstairs is
around 5-6 degrees cooler than upstairs.

Any particular reason why you are burning electricity to run these
two gadgets? Could you not open the windows? Depending on the
orientation and design of the house it should be possible to provide
gentle ventilation that will keep the house cool via the windows and
other ventilators. This sort of passive ventilation should be
designed into all houses, by many builders appear ignorant of it.

I don't have a loft skylight (nor the will or cash to install one), so does
anyone have any ideas on how to cool the loft so that I can get rid of some
heat upstairs?

The loft should have suitable ventilation. If it doesn't then I
would be worried about rot. There are plenty of descriptions of loft
ventilation on the web.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old July 2nd 06, 08:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I have an extremely hot loft, which is keeping the top half of my house
hot
as well. I'm running 2 large air conditioners upstairs, but the heat isn't
escaping through the loft which is at least 10 degrees hotter. Downstairs
is
around 5-6 degrees cooler than upstairs.

Any particular reason why you are burning electricity to run these
two gadgets? Could you not open the windows?

Ummm, because it's too hot and opening the windows doesn't help.

Depending on the
orientation and design of the house it should be possible to provide
gentle ventilation that will keep the house cool via the windows and
other ventilators. This sort of passive ventilation should be
designed into all houses, by many builders appear ignorant of it.

I don't have a loft skylight (nor the will or cash to install one), so
does
anyone have any ideas on how to cool the loft so that I can get rid of
some
heat upstairs?

The loft should have suitable ventilation. If it doesn't then I
would be worried about rot. There are plenty of descriptions of loft
ventilation on the web.

Thanks.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Old July 2nd 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

mentalguy2004 wrote:
I have an extremely hot loft, which is keeping the top half of my house hot
as well. I'm running 2 large air conditioners upstairs, but the heat isn't
escaping through the loft which is at least 10 degrees hotter. Downstairs is
around 5-6 degrees cooler than upstairs.

I don't have a loft skylight (nor the will or cash to install one), so does
anyone have any ideas on how to cool the loft so that I can get rid of some
heat upstairs?

Thanks!

I have the same problem - it's a bit like living inside a storage
heater in the current hot weather. I don't have any aircon upstairs,
but I've found that putting big fans in two open windows to shift as
much air through the upper floor makes a big difference. This cools
the house quite quickly once the temperature drops a bit in the
evening. I put one fan on the cooler north side of the house to draw
air into that room, and another blowing outwards in a window on the
south-facing side, and leave the doors open to allow a through draught

I'm also going to improve the insulation to prevent the heat in the
loft going through the ceiling into the upper floor. Hopefully it will
also help my winter fuel bills. There's only a couple of inches of
insulation at the moment - way too little by today's standards.

Mike

Old July 2nd 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"MikeH" wrote in message
ups.com...

mentalguy2004 wrote:
[...]

I might try the fan/window idea, thanks. Our house is a mid-terrace, so in
the winter we don't use much heating, as the front and back are sheltered,
the loft insulation is good and the neighbours keep us warm.... but it's
horrible in the summer. Hardly any breeze and the air is very still.

Old July 2nd 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 20:37:09 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

Any particular reason why you are burning electricity to run these
two gadgets?

Because it is too hot?

Could you not open the windows?

One could, it makes very little difference however.

Depending on the
orientation and design of the house it should be possible to provide
gentle ventilation that will keep the house cool via the windows and
other ventilators.

Not it won't, if the house is reasonably well insulated and has
reasonable solar gain the upstairs is going to be too hot in summer.
There are numerous greeny house is Milton Keynes and Oxford which are
abandoned in summer because they are unbearable.

designed into all houses, by many builders appear ignorant of it.

How old do you think the house is?

I don't have a loft skylight (nor the will or cash to install one), so does
anyone have any ideas on how to cool the loft so that I can get rid of some
heat upstairs?

The loft should have suitable ventilation. If it doesn't then I
would be worried about rot.

Suitable and adequate loft ventilation to prevent rot will have
almost zero effect upon temperature in the loft.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old July 2nd 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 19:40:17 GMT someone who may be "mentalguy2004"
wrote this:-

Any particular reason why you are burning electricity to run these
two gadgets? Could you not open the windows?

Ummm, because it's too hot and opening the windows doesn't help.

Then the house may be badly designed, though without looking at it I
couldn't say.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old July 2nd 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Jul 2006 21:45:19 +0100 someone who may be Peter Parry
wrote this:-

Could you not open the windows?

One could, it makes very little difference however.

That depends on how well the house is designed for natural
ventilation. I know of houses, including my own, where the
appropriate use of windows and vents allows a nice even temperature
to be maintained in hot weather, day and night, including the
southward facing public rooms.

It is usually not even necessary to run the extract fan in summer
when having a shower or bath. The natural ventilation extracts the
damp air very well.

Depending on the
orientation and design of the house it should be possible to provide
gentle ventilation that will keep the house cool via the windows and
other ventilators.

Not it won't,

I disagree, having seen all sorts of naturally ventilated buildings.

if the house is reasonably well insulated

Tick.

and has reasonable solar gain

Tick.

the upstairs is going to be too hot in summer.

Cross.

The upstairs may be too hot in summer, but only if the house is
badly designed.

There are numerous greeny house is Milton Keynes and Oxford which are
abandoned in summer because they are unbearable.

Not places I frequent. Were they designed for passive solar
ventilation? When were they designed?

How old do you think the house is?

No idea. However, in the absence of more information, I assume the
OP has a mass built house rather then one designed by an engineer.

Suitable and adequate loft ventilation to prevent rot will have
almost zero effect upon temperature in the loft.

That depends on how it is designed and operated.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old July 2nd 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Any particular reason why you are burning electricity to run these
two gadgets? Could you not open the windows?

Ummm, because it's too hot and opening the windows doesn't help.

Then the house may be badly designed, though without looking at it I
couldn't say.

Design doesn't come into it...EG my house was a baking 25C inside and 31C
outside with no air movement, how is opening a window going to cool it down?