Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default best solar thermal system?

Flat plate or evacuated tube?
Open or closed systems?
Size and type of solar thermal store?

Any experts out there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Keith

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:32:24 +0100, "Keith D"
wrote:

Flat plate or evacuated tube?
Open or closed systems?
Size and type of solar thermal store?

Any experts out there?

You could always ask in alt.solar.thermal - there's more than a few
experts there g

My 2-pennorth - evacuated collectors are reckoned to be more
efficient, although they are more costly to purchase.

A closed (sealed / pressurised) system allows you flexibility in where
you position the collectors, as there's no need to have a f&e tank
above the highest collector. It's no more difficult to install.

We put in our system when we were renewing the plumbing / hot water
tank in this bungalow - so there was plenty of plumbing going on at
the time g - and we needed a new tank anyway so we went for a
dual-coil one.

It's worthwhile (if not essential !) to fit a thermostatic mixing
valve on top of the hot water tank - as, on a good day, the solar
water can get HOT ! (Currently the sensor half-way up our tank is
showing 68 C....)

From May to September we'd expect the solar kit to deliver most of our
hot water heating, outside those times you can still get useful gain.
Our system is from Solarmax - and has 20 collector tubes. I bought a
kit from the supplier, he installed the panels and I did the rest.
Cost 5 years ago in the region of £2300, not including new DHW tank,
copper pipe and my time...

Hope this helps
Adrian
Suffolk UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
.....Our system is from Solarmax - and has 20 collector tubes. I bought a
kit from the supplier, he installed the panels and I did the rest.
Cost 5 years ago in the region of £2300, not including new DHW tank,
copper pipe and my time...

Hope this helps
Adrian
Suffolk UK

Do you have contact details for Solarmax? A Google search brings up a
site called Sunshine Solar, but they seem to be an installer - and
there's no mention of DIY kits as far as I could see.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Mike

On 16 Jul 2006 10:01:37 -0700, "MikeH" wrote:

Adrian wrote:
.....Our system is from Solarmax - and has 20 collector tubes. I bought a
kit from the supplier, he installed the panels and I did the rest.
Cost 5 years ago in the region of £2300, not including new DHW tank,
copper pipe and my time...

Hope this helps
Adrian
Suffolk UK

Do you have contact details for Solarmax? A Google search brings up a
site called Sunshine Solar, but they seem to be an installer - and
there's no mention of DIY kits as far as I could see.

Sorry - I didn't make it clear.
The manufacturer of the collectors is Solarmax, but they were
purchased from an installer - Solarworks in Sudbury, Suffolk.

I believe that there are now cheaper evacuated collectors available -
but I haven't used them....

....even seen them on eBay... !

Probably best to find a supplier local to where you are - Solarworks
delivered everything for me, installed the collector mainfold on the
roof and then left me to it (though they were able to offer assistance
by phone). After I'd plumbed everything together they came back,
fitted the collectors and commissioned the system. Very
straightforward - no problems....

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keith D wrote:
Flat plate or evacuated tube?
Open or closed systems?
Size and type of solar thermal store?

Any experts out there?

it sounds like youre describing DHW systems. If you want lower install
cost and max payback you need to be looking at solarthermal space
heating, which is able to return far more energy than a DHW system ever
can.

heres one:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...rn_project.htm

and an odder one:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Experime...fPart1/S88.htm

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in news:1153080453.219818.108710@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

check out

http://www.navitron.org.uk/

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Selwyn-Smith" writes:

http://www.navitron.org.uk/

Products costing a grand or so with no hint of any techinical data
like say dimensions or links to data offsite.

Actually there is a url, which has to be pasted manually, for hydro
turbines but it is invalid.

Go to the contact page and it says something about a Suburban Griller
but not who these people are.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:31:33 GMT, Jonathan Schneider
wrote:

"Chris Selwyn-Smith" writes:

http://www.navitron.org.uk/

Products costing a grand or so with no hint of any techinical data
like say dimensions or links to data offsite.

Hi,

Download 'solar.doc' from the downloads section.

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 08:31:33 GMT someone who may be Jonathan
Schneider wrote this:-

http://www.navitron.org.uk/

Products costing a grand or so with no hint of any techinical data
like say dimensions or links to data offsite.

Which products do you don't have any technical data and what data?

I have got the dimensions of their panels from their site, along
with the cylinder sizes.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen writes:

Which products do you don't have any technical data and what data?

I have got the dimensions of their panels from their site, along
with the cylinder sizes.

I think the problem is the lack of links back from the shop to
anywhere useful. Now looking at the site proper it isn't too bad.

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:32:24 +0100 someone who may be "Keith D"
wrote this:-

Flat plate or evacuated tube?
Open or closed systems?
Size and type of solar thermal store?

There is no such thing as the best. What matters is what you want
from the system, what your existing systems are and how many
modifications you want to make to your existing systems. Give us a
clue and we might be able to help.

Solar space heating systems may work for single wooden rooms in some
parts of the world. However, in the UK they will only provide
supplementary heating for some parts of the year in the typical
house.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Flat plate or evacuated tube?
Open or closed systems?
Size and type of solar thermal store?

There is no such thing as the best. What matters is what you want
from the system, what your existing systems are and how many
modifications you want to make to your existing systems. Give us a
clue and we might be able to help.

Solar space heating systems may work for single wooden rooms in some
parts of the world. However, in the UK they will only provide
supplementary heating for some parts of the year in the typical
house.

It is best to use a Thermal Store/Heat Bank tat the CH and DHW is take off.
Then CH can gain from any solar gain. The more panels you have the more hot
water produced. If low temperature operating underfloor heating is used, a
large thermal store and enough panels are fitted, much of the CH side will
cost nothing to run, even on colder days too. Worth considering if doing a
major refurb.

Solar water heating system.. [email protected] Home Repair 69 June 26th 06 10:01 PM
thermal store with solar help needed [email protected] UK diy 7 February 26th 06 07:23 PM
Solar Graham Harrison UK diy 115 December 12th 05 12:44 AM
Uvented cyl v Thermal store. IMM UK diy 0 November 18th 04 03:53 PM