Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ

Default Mitsubishi Camcorder pinout

Hi folks.

This may well be the wrong group for this question - appropriate
redirection welcome, but UK.DIY-ers seem willing to have a go at most
things, so...

We've been given an old-ish analog mini-VHS-tape-thing Mitsubishi
HS-CX1(B) camcorder, minus manual. On the rear of the unit there is a
mini DIN type socket into which plugs a small box on a flying lead which
provides modulated UHF I/O for picture/audio - just plug into the
antenna socket of any TV/video...

However, I want an unmodulated composite video out. There are, I think,
more pins on the camcorder socket than would be required to provide what
I/O we have - I'm wondering if it's possible to get composite video +
sound from some of the others? Does anyone have a pinout for this device?

It appears that manuals are available for this device, but at a price...

TIA.

PJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

PJ wrote:
[...]

5GBP is not really that much?
http://www.vintagecameras.co.uk/manual5.htm

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

5GBP is not really that much?

If it doesn't contain the info I want, yes...

http://www.vintagecameras.co.uk/manual5.htm

Thanks.

PJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

PJ wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

5GBP is not really that much?

If it doesn't contain the info I want, yes...

http://www.vintagecameras.co.uk/manual5.htm

Thanks.

PJ.

Ha! yes sorry you want the service manual rather than the operators manual.

Just had a look its 38GBP that is a bit much for an camera thats now
extinct.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Might as well post this site could be usefull for anyone needing a service
manual.
http://www.donberg.ie/warehs/group11.htm

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
PJ wrote:
This may well be the wrong group for this question - appropriate
redirection welcome, but UK.DIY-ers seem willing to have a go at most
things, so...

We've been given an old-ish analog mini-VHS-tape-thing Mitsubishi
HS-CX1(B) camcorder, minus manual. On the rear of the unit there is a
mini DIN type socket into which plugs a small box on a flying lead which
provides modulated UHF I/O for picture/audio - just plug into the
antenna socket of any TV/video...

However, I want an unmodulated composite video out. There are, I think,
more pins on the camcorder socket than would be required to provide what
I/O we have - I'm wondering if it's possible to get composite video +
sound from some of the others? Does anyone have a pinout for this device?

It appears that manuals are available for this device, but at a price...

Can you open up the modulator and trace the wiring? Since it's a
camcorder, I'd expect it only to carry composite video, stereo sound and
possibly power for the modulator. But it may only provide sound when
playing back.

Earlier cameras which plugged into a separate recorder also had power and
control circuits on IIRC a 10 way. I've got the pin out for those. ;-)

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can you open up the modulator and trace the wiring?

That's plan B. Here goes...

.... later.

Four wires terminating at a socket on the modulator PCB. Each pin is
labeled on the PCB, although the labels are partially obscured by the
socket. They appear to read (with corresponding wire colours):

A (Red)

G (Brown)

V (White)

B (Black)

There's another line of text above - it starts with a triangular symbol,
and then reads, "MTM-1OV-O". I don't know if the '1', and 'O' are
letters or digits. I can trace each wire through to a corresponding pin
on the DIN type connector (it's unlike any I've seen before - PS2-ish in
size, three keys at 120deg intervals (one larger than the other two),
eight pins arranged in a circular pattern).

Since it's a
camcorder, I'd expect it only to carry composite video, stereo sound and
possibly power for the modulator.

Stereo sound may be a bit much...

The modulator unit is identified as a Mitsubishi DAR-M1EB. It claims an
input voltage of 5VDC, 35mA. It also boasts something called an "I/G
system select switch", whatever one of those is... :/

But it may only provide sound when
playing back.

I don't mind that. I'm just not so keen on blowing my video card up by
plugging the wrong thing into it...

Earlier cameras which plugged into a separate recorder also had power and
control circuits on IIRC a 10 way. I've got the pin out for those. ;-)

Smartarse.

Thanks.

PJ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bart

PJ wrote:

However, I want an unmodulated composite video out. There are, I think,
more pins on the camcorder socket than would be required to provide what
I/O we have - I'm wondering if it's possible to get composite video +
sound from some of the others? Does anyone have a pinout for this device?

Composite video would be around 1 volt maximum voltage. Connect a
voltmeter between ground and each pin in turn looking for something
between 0.3 and 1V that varies with picture content. That might be
video out. Audio might need trial and error connection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"PJ" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can you open up the modulator and trace the wiring?

That's plan B. Here goes...

... later.

Four wires terminating at a socket on the modulator PCB. Each pin is
labeled on the PCB, although the labels are partially obscured by the
socket. They appear to read (with corresponding wire colours):

A (Red)

G (Brown)

V (White)

B (Black)

Do you have a multi-meter?

If so, connect the cable to the camera
turn on camera and play a tape (or put it into camera mode!)

Now poke the connections inside the modulator and look for the 5v
It's probably on Red and Black
now measure the -ve from the 5v to the other two connections, one of them
will show about 1v (varying) this is your video signal - the last one is
audio :-)

My guess would be...

A (Red) - +5v

G (Brown) - Audio

V (White) - Video

B (Black) - Ground

But you won't know unless you poke it :-)

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

PJ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can you open up the modulator and trace the wiring?

That's plan B. Here goes...

... later.

Four wires terminating at a socket on the modulator PCB. Each pin is
labeled on the PCB, although the labels are partially obscured by the
socket. They appear to read (with corresponding wire colours):

A (Red) Audio

G (Brown) Ground

V (White) Video

B (Black) Earth

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ

Sparks wrote:

Do you have a multi-meter?

Yup. Fluke.

My guess would be...

A (Red) - +5v

G (Brown) - Audio

V (White) - Video

B (Black) - Ground

Okay. Will try. *Slightly* concerned about killing the camera, but...

.... later.

Okay, I get nigh on +5v (+4.96v) on Black with Red as ground. Still with
Red as ground, I get between +0.75v and +1v on white, fluctuating
between the two values as I put my hand over the lens and then remove it.

So my video signal is on Red/White? My PC's video card has an RCA
(phono) input for composite video - Red to the ring and White to the tip?

Any other precautions before hooking it up?

But you won't know unless you poke it :-)

Ahh. As with so many things...

Thanks.

PJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ

Owain wrote:
PJ wrote:
The modulator unit is identified as a Mitsubishi DAR-M1EB. It claims
an input voltage of 5VDC, 35mA. It also boasts something called an
"I/G system select switch", whatever one of those is... :/

Different PAL versions?

Could be. The modulator has two coax connections - "OUT TO TV", and "IN
FROM ANT", which I assume are just for patching into an existing UHF
feed. There's also a channel tuner, labeled "32 - 40", which I assume is
for setting the output frequency of the modulator, and the "I -G"
switch...

PJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"PJ" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:

Do you have a multi-meter?

Yup. Fluke.

My guess would be...

A (Red) - +5v

G (Brown) - Audio

V (White) - Video

B (Black) - Ground

Okay. Will try. *Slightly* concerned about killing the camera, but...

... later.

Okay, I get nigh on +5v (+4.96v) on Black with Red as ground. Still with
Red as ground, I get between +0.75v and +1v on white, fluctuating between
the two values as I put my hand over the lens and then remove it.

So my video signal is on Red/White? My PC's video card has an RCA (phono)
input for composite video - Red to the ring and White to the tip?

Yup, sounds good to me!
Slightly odd that the 0v is red - you definatly got the meter's probes in
the correct holes!?

Any other precautions before hooking it up?

Not really, just dont short the 5v to anything!
The brown has to be audio, so you may as well hook that in too!

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ

Sparks wrote:
"PJ" wrote in message
Okay, I get nigh on +5v (+4.96v) on Black with Red as ground. Still with
Red as ground, I get between +0.75v and +1v on white, fluctuating between
the two values as I put my hand over the lens and then remove it.

So my video signal is on Red/White? My PC's video card has an RCA (phono)
input for composite video - Red to the ring and White to the tip?

Yup, sounds good to me!
Slightly odd that the 0v is red - you definatly got the meter's probes in
the correct holes!?

Yup. Appeared odd to me too, so I double-checked. Black probe in the
"COM" socket of the multimeter, to the black wire, and the red probe in
the "+" socket, to the red wire, gave me "-4.96", on the multimeter.

Any other precautions before hooking it up?

Not really, just dont short the 5v to anything!
The brown has to be audio, so you may as well hook that in too!

Cool. I'm assuming I'm going to end up hacking this cable - the
connector manufacturer is Mogami, but I've yet to find anything retail
on either RS, or Mogani's own website (which doesn't appear to work too
well). Ho-hum...

Thanks.

PJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"PJ" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:
"PJ" wrote in message
Okay, I get nigh on +5v (+4.96v) on Black with Red as ground. Still with
Red as ground, I get between +0.75v and +1v on white, fluctuating
between the two values as I put my hand over the lens and then remove
it.

So my video signal is on Red/White? My PC's video card has an RCA
(phono) input for composite video - Red to the ring and White to the
tip?

Yup, sounds good to me!
Slightly odd that the 0v is red - you definatly got the meter's probes in
the correct holes!?

Yup. Appeared odd to me too, so I double-checked. Black probe in the "COM"
socket of the multimeter, to the black wire, and the red probe in the "+"
socket, to the red wire, gave me "-4.96", on the multimeter.

Looks like that's what it is then!
(You could just triple chsck and measure a known source like a battery!)

Any other precautions before hooking it up?

Not really, just dont short the 5v to anything!
The brown has to be audio, so you may as well hook that in too!

Cool. I'm assuming I'm going to end up hacking this cable - the connector
manufacturer is Mogami, but I've yet to find anything retail on either RS,
or Mogani's own website (which doesn't appear to work too well). Ho-hum...

Thanks.

PJ.

Is this connector an 8 pin one, with a notches at...
12 o'clock (Between pin 1 and 8)
5 o'clock (Between pin 3 and 4)
7 o'clock (Between pin 5 and 6)

Do you have a photo of the connector?

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

PJ wrote:
Sparks wrote:

[...]

I'd of thought white(signal) and black(ground) would have given you the
signal?

Hey up 5v+ to the card I smell smoke. :-(

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ

Sparks wrote:
"PJ" wrote in message

Cool. I'm assuming I'm going to end up hacking this cable - the connector
manufacturer is Mogami, but I've yet to find anything retail on either RS,
or Mogani's own website (which doesn't appear to work too well). Ho-hum...

Is this connector an 8 pin one, with a notches at...
12 o'clock (Between pin 1 and 8)
5 o'clock (Between pin 3 and 4)
7 o'clock (Between pin 5 and 6)

That sounds like the one...

Do you have a photo of the connector?

Try:

http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn1.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn2.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn3.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn4.jpg

.... to give you some indication of scale, the external diameter of the
ring around the pins measures 9.55mm with my digital calipers.

Thanks.

PJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"PJ" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:
"PJ" wrote in message

[...]

:-) I have one on my old old old Ferguson Video VHS-C camera :-)

On mine, if you look at the connector on the cable, with the biggest notch
at the top, going clockwise, assuming the pin at 1 o'clock is pin 1...

Audio + = 3
Audio - = 5
Video + = 8
Video + = 7

+ meaning the centre pin on an RCA plug, and - meaning the screen.

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ

Sparks wrote:
"PJ" wrote in message

http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn1.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn2.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn3.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn4.jpg

... to give you some indication of scale, the external diameter of the
ring around the pins measures 9.55mm with my digital calipers.

:-) I have one on my old old old Ferguson Video VHS-C camera :-)

Ahh. But do you know where to get new ones that I can make up into my
own cable?

On mine, if you look at the connector on the cable, with the biggest notch
at the top, going clockwise, assuming the pin at 1 o'clock is pin 1...

Audio + = 3
Audio - = 5
Video + = 8
Video + = 7

+ meaning the centre pin on an RCA plug, and - meaning the screen.

Did you mean to write two plusses for the video, on both pins 8 and 7?
If you did, I'm having a failure of understanding...

Thnaks.

PJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"PJ" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:
"PJ" wrote in message
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn1.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn2.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn3.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn4.jpg

... to give you some indication of scale, the external diameter of the
ring around the pins measures 9.55mm with my digital calipers.

:-) I have one on my old old old Ferguson Video VHS-C camera :-)

Ahh. But do you know where to get new ones that I can make up into my own
cable?

It might be this one, the picture in the CPC paper catalogue certainly looks
promising...
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=AV07370&N=411

Alternatively, you could cut the current cable in half, connect one of these
to the wire with the funny connector on
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=AV10583&N=411

Then put one of these on the modulator...
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=CN00052&N=411

....and also one of the above on this chopping off the 3.5mm plug...
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=AV07342&N=411

On mine, if you look at the connector on the cable, with the biggest
notch at the top, going clockwise, assuming the pin at 1 o'clock is pin
1...

Audio + = 3
Audio - = 5
Video + = 8
Video - = 7

+ meaning the centre pin on an RCA plug, and - meaning the screen.

Did you mean to write two plusses for the video, on both pins 8 and 7? If
you did, I'm having a failure of understanding...

No! my bad :-)

now corrected as

Video + = 8
Video - = 7

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

PJ wrote:
Sparks wrote:
"PJ" wrote in message

[...]

Maplins do a plug&socket for the 8 pin camera.
http://tinyurl.com/zvufj

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Women are like old TV's...the older they get the more prone they are to
switching off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Sparks
writes

"PJ" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:
"PJ" wrote in message
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn1.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn2.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn3.jpg
http://www.tarags.demon.co.uk/conn4.jpg

... to give you some indication of scale, the external diameter of the
ring around the pins measures 9.55mm with my digital calipers.

:-) I have one on my old old old Ferguson Video VHS-C camera :-)

Ahh. But do you know where to get new ones that I can make up into my own
cable?

It might be this one, the picture in the CPC paper catalogue certainly looks
promising...
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=AV07370&N=411

In which case, you could phone up CPC and ask

The CPC technical dept usually take a couple of hours to respond, but
it's worth a try

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ

Sparks wrote:

It might be this one, the picture in the CPC paper catalogue certainly looks
promising...
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=AV07370&N=411

Indeed. So much so that I decided to order one...

.... until I discovered that a cable costing less than three quid, was
going to cost me a tenner in total!

And the CPC website is rather poor - they took my card details before
telling me how much the total amount was, and having decided I don't
like the service they offer, there doesn't seem to be any way for me to
delete my account/personal information from their system. Not good.

Thanks.

PJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"PJ" wrote in message
Sparks wrote:

It might be this one, the picture in the CPC paper catalogue certainly
looks promising...
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=AV07370&N=411

Indeed. So much so that I decided to order one...

... until I discovered that a cable costing less than three quid, was
going to cost me a tenner in total!

And the CPC website is rather poor - they took my card details before
telling me how much the total amount was, and having decided I don't like
the service they offer, there doesn't seem to be any way for me to delete
my account/personal information from their system. Not good.

Thanks.

PJ.

You have mail, assuming the address is valid!

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
PJ wrote:
It might be this one, the picture in the CPC paper catalogue certainly
looks promising...
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=AV07370&N=411

Indeed. So much so that I decided to order one...

... until I discovered that a cable costing less than three quid, was
going to cost me a tenner in total!

This is common with trade electronics suppliers - they pretty well all
have a minimum charge/expensive p&p. For small orders you need the likes
of Maplin shops - not that they stock much in the way of electronics these
days.

And the CPC website is rather poor - they took my card details before
telling me how much the total amount was, and having decided I don't
like the service they offer, there doesn't seem to be any way for me to
delete my account/personal information from their system. Not good.

Don't remember that happening to me. But you can work out the price anyway
by checking their conditions.

--
*The colder the X-ray table, the more of your body is required on it *