DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Electric sockets and switches: distance from hobs and sinks (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/166599-electric-sockets-switches-distance-hobs-sinks.html)

F June 23rd 06 10:59 PM

Electric sockets and switches: distance from hobs and sinks

Our free-standing gas cooker is soon to be replaced by a built-in gas
hob. The sink, too, is to be moved to a slightly different location.

Anyone able to tell me the minimum horizontal and vertical distances
that must be kept between sinks and hobs and nearby sockets and switches?

TIA.

--
Frank

long ironer June 24th 06 01:01 AM

F wrote:
Our free-standing gas cooker is soon to be replaced by a built-in gas
hob. The sink, too, is to be moved to a slightly different location.

Anyone able to tell me the minimum horizontal and vertical distances
that must be kept between sinks and hobs and nearby sockets and switches?

Sinks - amazingly neither the IEE regs nor the On-site Guide specifies
any restriction, but there is new guidance in the IEE publication
'Electrician's guide to the Building Regs' section 5.2, page 56
onwards.

It suggests no sockets within 300mm of sink edge. The picture on page
57 shows this as a horizontal distance (ie not a diagonal). Centre
line of sockets to be 150mm above work tops.

Something similar for the cooker switch is shown in the picture, but
the picture is not fully compatible with the text rules in 5.2.2 . At
any rate switches should not be located so that you have to reach
across the appliance to use them.

There's other guidane which it might be worth your checking out, or if
you're kucky someone else will be along soon with it all....

HTH

F June 25th 06 01:11 PM

On 24/06/2006 00:01 long ironer wrote:

It suggests no sockets within 300mm of sink edge.

[snip]

Centre line of sockets to be 150mm above work tops.

Thanks - that's just what I wanted to know.

if
you're kucky someone else will be along soon with it all....

Not yet...!

Anyone got any thoughts on distances from gas hobs? I wouldn't want to
melt any sockets/switches/wiring.

--
Frank

long ironer June 26th 06 02:24 PM

Electric sockets and switches: distance from hobs and sinks

F wrote:
/snip/

Anyone got any thoughts on distances from gas hobs? I wouldn't want to
melt any sockets/switches/wiring.

Sorry - no experience of gas, never having lived anywhere with it.
However perhaps the 300mm in the Electricians Guide picture could be a
good starting point? Have you tried seeing how near a gas hob you can
put your hand before it fries?

I usually fit electric cooker switches around 100mm to the left or
right, but electric cookers don't have the gas flame problem. Perhaps
the possibility that the cook may need to turn off the cooker in an
emergency & need to stretch across a cookpot which has caught fire, or
is spraying steam in all directions, is a consideration.

HTH

F June 26th 06 07:34 PM

On 26/06/2006 13:24 long ironer wrote:

Have you tried seeing how near a gas hob you can
put your hand before it fries?

No, perhaps that's a job for Management!

I usually fit electric cooker switches around 100mm to the left or
right

I'll remember that - thanks.

I thought there might be some regs to govern distances from gas hobs to
sockets/switches. As no-one has jumped in to offer advice, perhaps not...

--
Frank