Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin

Default Shower diverters - outlet configurations ?

I'm getting myself confused as to what I need in order to run a shower
with body jets.

A 3 way diverter is described as having 2 outlets.
A 5 way diverter is described as having 3 outlets.

e.g. http://www.devatap.com/deeva_prod_list.asp

Can anyone explain this to me, and what I actually need in order to run
shower and body jets independently or at the same time ?

i.e. Both switched off.
Shower head only.
Body Jets only.
Both at same time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
I'm getting myself confused as to what I need in order to run a shower
with body jets.

A 3 way diverter is described as having 2 outlets.
A 5 way diverter is described as having 3 outlets.

e.g. http://www.devatap.com/deeva_prod_list.asp

Can anyone explain this to me, and what I actually need in order to run
shower and body jets independently or at the same time ?

i.e. Both switched off.
Shower head only.
Body Jets only.
Both at same time.

The simplest solution is to fit 2 stopcocks (as on the deva website). T
the outlet from your shower valve and run to the head and the jets
through the stopcocks. Then you just turn the head stopcock on to use
the showerhead, and the jet stopcock on to use the jets. You could also
use the valves in a tap kit like this for the same purpose
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Handle-Cross-Basin-Mixer-Tap-wall-mounted-8258C-617_W0QQitemZ6052831301QQcategoryZ42347QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon

Kevin wrote:

I'm getting myself confused as to what I need in order to run a shower
with body jets.

A 3 way diverter is described as having 2 outlets.
A 5 way diverter is described as having 3 outlets.

e.g. http://www.devatap.com/deeva_prod_list.asp

Can anyone explain this to me, and what I actually need in order to run
shower and body jets independently or at the same time ?

i.e. Both switched off.
Shower head only.
Body Jets only.
Both at same time.

This foxed me, and meant that I had to get my 3-way Bristan
swapped for a 5-way whilst my plumbers were in the middle of the
job.

The nearest I can get to rationalising this is that they seem to
have two input ports, but even that doesn't add up for the 3-way.

Not quite sure how yours offers "full & reduced flow rates".

My Bristan 5-way will only supply water to one outlet at a time
(apart from a little leakage)

I am presuming that you are supplying the diverter from a
thermostatic valve incorporating a flow control. That gives you
both off.

I'm guessing here, but with the aid of check valves from position
3, could you pipe the shower head from positions 1 & 3, and the
body jets from 2 & 3?

Failing that, it would be separate valves.

Chris

--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin

Thanks for the responses guys. I should have paid a little more
attention when I pasted that URL. For anyone else who wants to know
what I'm talking about, go to www.devatap.com and click on "showers"
and then "shower options" in the LH pane. The first two products
displayed are for 3 and 5 way diverters.

I can see that the two stopcocks idea might work and the only drawbacks
I can think is that there will be more fittings on show and it might
restrict the choice I have if I want all the fittings to match.

I'm still not quite getting the diverters though. The only thing that
seems to make sense is if the inputs contribute to the number of ways,
so a 3-way diverter has one input and two outputs and the 5-way has two
inputs and three outputs. Though I don't really understand why you
would need two inputs unless you were using it as a mixer too. Also it
doesn't really explain why Chris would have to change from a 3 to a
5-way in the middle of the job.

Yes, I am planning on using a thermostatic mixer valve in front of the
diverter so yes that would give me the both off requirement anyway.

I'm also not quite sure what you mean by check valves, am I correct in
thinking these might be what I know as non-return valves ?

Thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon

Kevin wrote:

I'm still not quite getting the diverters though. The only thing that
seems to make sense is if the inputs contribute to the number of ways,
so a 3-way diverter has one input and two outputs and the 5-way has two
inputs and three outputs. Though I don't really understand why you
would need two inputs unless you were using it as a mixer too. Also it
doesn't really explain why Chris would have to change from a 3 to a
5-way in the middle of the job.

Certainly both 3 & 5 way valves that I saw had two possible
inputs. I suppose it would be possible to connect separate hot
and cold supplies, but not really a very good idea. However,
this gives the 3-way valve 4 ports.

I had told my contractor that I wanted what I described as a
3-way diverter. They knew I wanted it to supply overhead shower,
bath filler and bath side pencil shower. Only when the box was
opened to see how to connect it (after I had drawn a line diagram
of the concept) did the problem become clear. My unfamiliarity
with the arcane terminology (which the web site did not in any
way explain as done by your supplier) was matched by the fitters'
unfamiliarity with the use of diverters and omission of bath
taps.

Fortunately Bristan are not too far from me, and it was swapped
in the nick of time.

The system is fed from a fully pumped supply, and the fitters
were pretty surprised when everything worked (I was more than a
bit relieved too) and wanted photos so they could tell others
what a good idea it all was.

I'm also not quite sure what you mean by check valves, am I correct in
thinking these might be what I know as non-return valves ?

Yes, I was really only thinking theoretically, I don't know how
much pressure you lose, if there are maintenance problems, and
how practical it is to get it all in place.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
I'm still not quite getting the diverters though. The only thing that
seems to make sense is if the inputs contribute to the number of ways,
so a 3-way diverter has one input and two outputs and the 5-way has two
inputs and three outputs. Though I don't really understand why you
would need two inputs unless you were using it as a mixer too. Also it
doesn't really explain why Chris would have to change from a 3 to a
5-way in the middle of the job.

A three way diverter gives you A, A+B or B.

At a guess, a five way diverter gives you A, A+B, B, B+ C, C.

Better than using a divertor valve is to use something like the
DE2000RC on this page:

http://www.avalon-bathrooms.co.uk/ac...Showers.htm l

Which is a dual "volume control" rather than a diverter, this gives you
analogue control over how much water comes through each outlet from
none to full-on, rather than just on/off and whatever the resistances
in the plumbing 'decide' is the right proportion to send each way.
That one has the thermostatic valve built in as well, which makes the
plumbing simpler, but I'm sure you can them without if you prefer.

raised floor insert for shower to bypass leak? [email protected] Home Ownership 2 June 8th 06 06:52 PM
Poor shower Hugo Nebula UK diy 27 December 14th 05 09:27 PM
GFCI outlet / automated sprinkler system that plugs in it Vince Home Ownership 3 November 27th 04 05:26 AM
2-prong outlet, 3-prong p barry martin Home Repair 2 November 27th 04 05:14 AM
Grooveless shower head pipe? Robert Schultz Home Repair 3 January 3rd 04 05:40 AM