Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy C

Default Problem with bath tap ( or pipe )

Hi Guys

I am experiencing a strange problem with my bath mixer tap. When I run
the hot water the pressure seems to suddenly drop off and it slows
down to a trickle. I then have to twist the tap more till I get more
water coming out of the tap. This even results often in the water
gushing out all of a sudden due to the earlier pressure drop off being
somehow released. I am unable to figure out if this is a pipe problem
or the tap problem or maybe even the combi boiler ?
Any thoughts appreciated. I haev tried my best to describe this
problem.
Cheers guys

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message .com
from "Andy C" contains these words:

I am experiencing a strange problem with my bath mixer tap. When I run
the hot water the pressure seems to suddenly drop off and it slows
down to a trickle. I then have to twist the tap more till I get more
water coming out of the tap.

Why don't you turn the tap on all the way to start with?

If it's a tap with rubber washers, what happens is this; the washer is
compressed, particularly if you've had to screw it down really tight to
stop a drip. Then, when you open the tap a bit, water flows readily to
start with, but then as the rubber washer returns to its uncompressed
shape the flow slows down. This is more noticable with the hot tap as
the hot water softens the washer, making it easier to compress to start
with and quicker to return.

The cure is simple, turn the tap on all the way from the outset. If
you've a combi boiler and the flow is too great like this, use the
controls on the boiler to regulate the maximum flow instead.

--
Skipweasel