Posted to uk.d-i-y
tonyjeffs

Default Plumbing in a towel radiator

I bought a B&Q towel rad, and a pair of valves.
I thought the valve threads would be taper fit, but they're not; they
don't tighten to seal.
I managed to seal the non-tap side with ptfe, but the tap-valve has too
short a thread.
Tips on getting a seal?
Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

I thought the valve threads would be taper fit, but they're not; they
don't tighten to seal.
(...)
Tips on getting a seal?

Fernox LS-X.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Wingedcat

Christian McArdle wrote:
I thought the valve threads would be taper fit, but they're not; they
don't tighten to seal.
(...)
Tips on getting a seal?

Well I am sure they are taper fit, but as with all taper threads, they
are designed to seal with a "Helping Hand" whether that be from PTFE or
Fernox LS-X. It should just be a case of adding more PTFE.

Hope this helps,
Luke

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 05:10:03 -0700, tonyjeffs wrote:

I bought a B&Q towel rad, and a pair of valves.
I thought the valve threads would be taper fit, but they're not; they
don't tighten to seal.
I managed to seal the non-tap side with ptfe, but the tap-valve has too
short a thread.

What do you mean by tap-valve?

Your radiator may have screw-in plugs at the top, one or both with air
bleed valves (or maybe one is blank) and these should have rubber rings to
seal them. Fernox LS-X or silicone bathroom sealant would do if the rings
are missing.

The radiator valves tails seal into the radiator with PTFE wrapped around
them (or silicone/LSX). The joints between rad valves and pipe are
compression requiring a copper or brass olive and require no sealant.

Towel radiator F UK diy 8 February 16th 06 04:11 AM
towel radiator + timer/thermostat + heating element = right/wrong? Seri UK diy 5 January 14th 06 12:58 AM
Using a standard radiator as an electric towel radiator [email protected] UK diy 5 October 11th 05 12:41 PM
Replacing radiator with Towel Heater preecy UK diy 3 June 2nd 05 11:20 AM
Towel Radiator with Microbore Charles Middleton UK diy 11 March 9th 04 07:38 PM