Andy Taylor

Default F&G Concept 2000 Consumer Unit Live Busbar Query

Have done all relevant searches on Google for previous posts, but I am
still a little unsure on setting up my new split-load consumer unit.

Unpacked it all last night and had a look to see how it all goes
together - I am fairly confident on replacing my old consumer unit as
I have replaced one before at our old house. But this F&G (new name
for Moeller?) Consumer Unit has raised a question. In the top of the
consumer unit are two independent 'Neutral' Busbars for the non-RCD
and RCD sides of the unit. However, there appears to be one long
copper 'Live' Busbar supplied with the unit.

What do I do now? It seems a little strange to have the RCD and
non-RCD MCB's fedfrom the same 'Live' Busbar. Do I have to cut it to
length? I'm assuming this is what is required, but I want to be 100%
before I go slicing bits of kit. One clue is that the far left lug is
unlike the others and would appear to fit in the RCD only. If this is
the case do I cut the 'Live' Busbar at the incoming switch end and put
this on the RCD protected MCBs?

Difficult to explain what I'm after, but hopefully someone will have a
clue as to what I do next.

Thanks.
Christian McArdle

What do I do now? It seems a little strange to have the RCD and
non-RCD MCB's fedfrom the same 'Live' Busbar. Do I have to cut it to
length?

Yes. Decide where you want it split and cut the bus bar appropriately. If
you have any external circuits, such as sheds, garages, outside sockets etc.
it is recommended to fit them on the non-RCD side and use an RCBO instead of
an MCB. Also, you should have a separate 16A radial circuit on the non-RCD
side just for your fridge/freezer. Your lights and smoke alarms MUST be on
the non-RCD side.

These steps will reduce the both the likelihood and consequences of nuisance
RCD trips.

Christian.