Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

Default Anyone tried using a hot glue gun to bind books?

If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages? I've looked at a number of paperbacks and they are all glued,
like the Argos catalogue, for example. The pages could be roughened at
the binding edge, held in a clamp of some sort (easy to make), and the
hot glue applied.

Another idea I had was to use iron-on edging strip.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:59:07 +0100, MM wrote:

If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages? I've looked at a number of paperbacks and they are all glued,
like the Argos catalogue, for example. The pages could be roughened at
the binding edge, held in a clamp of some sort (easy to make), and the
hot glue applied.

Another idea I had was to use iron-on edging strip.

MM

Try a fabric binding heat applied material.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

MM wrote:
If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages? I've looked at a number of paperbacks and they are all glued,
like the Argos catalogue, for example. The pages could be roughened at
the binding edge, held in a clamp of some sort (easy to make), and the
hot glue applied.

It'll stick it, but you won't be able to use it. Bookbinders use a
rubbery PVA glue for this sort of job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"MM" wrote in message
If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages? I've looked at a number of paperbacks and they are all glued,
like the Argos catalogue, for example. The pages could be roughened at
the binding edge, held in a clamp of some sort (easy to make), and the
hot glue applied.

Another idea I had was to use iron-on edging strip.

How many?
You want something like
http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catal...rmd=co nsumer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On 30 May 2006 17:23:23 +0200, Chris Bacon
wrote:

MM wrote:
If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages? I've looked at a number of paperbacks and they are all glued,
like the Argos catalogue, for example. The pages could be roughened at
the binding edge, held in a clamp of some sort (easy to make), and the
hot glue applied.

It'll stick it, but you won't be able to use it. Bookbinders use a
rubbery PVA glue for this sort of job.

But phone books, Argos catalogues etc are not bound with PVA, are
they? The binding looks like it's been done in a thermal binding
machine, i.e. using hot glue. As do most of the recent paperbacks on
my bookshelf. I am hoping to avoid the cost of a thermal binder!

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:10:20 GMT, EricP
wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:59:07 +0100, MM wrote:

If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages? I've looked at a number of paperbacks and they are all glued,
like the Argos catalogue, for example. The pages could be roughened at
the binding edge, held in a clamp of some sort (easy to make), and the
hot glue applied.

Another idea I had was to use iron-on edging strip.

MM

Try a fabric binding heat applied material.

Do you mean like WundaWeb for hemming? I did consider that, too, but I
think it may be a little flimsy. (Although two or three layers could
do the trick.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"dennis@home" wrote in message
. uk...

"MM" wrote in message
If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages? I've looked at a number of paperbacks and they are all glued,
like the Argos catalogue, for example. The pages could be roughened at
the binding edge, held in a clamp of some sort (easy to make), and the
hot glue applied.

Another idea I had was to use iron-on edging strip.

How many?
You want something like
http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/catal...rmd=co nsumer

Yup, I have used one of these to bind reports at a previous job. You placed
plastic glue strip at bottom, inserted and clamped paper, turned on via
timer for a minute or two + minute or two cooling time and hey presto nice
bound report.Not fast but better than A4 folder and/or spiral bound thing.
Can use tranparent front/rear covers but make sure they are "laser proof" or
else they just melt and crinkle in the glue and make a mess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

MM wrote:
But phone books, Argos catalogues etc are not bound with PVA, are
they? The binding looks like it's been done in a thermal binding
machine, i.e. using hot glue. As do most of the recent paperbacks on
my bookshelf. I am hoping to avoid the cost of a thermal binder!

Well PVA the blighter then! It's cheap!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero

"MM" wrote in message
If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages? I've looked at a number of paperbacks and they are all glued,
like the Argos catalogue, for example. The pages could be roughened at
the binding edge, held in a clamp of some sort (easy to make), and the
hot glue applied.

Another idea I had was to use iron-on edging strip.

MM

=====================
Try using an old fashioned gauze bandage and Copydex or similar rubbery
adhesive. The method is called 'perfect binding' if you want to google for
more information.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Cicero" contains these words:

The method is called 'perfect binding'

Mostly because it's anything but!

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

MM wrote:
If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages? I've looked at a number of paperbacks and they are all glued,
like the Argos catalogue, for example. The pages could be roughened at
the binding edge, held in a clamp of some sort (easy to make), and the
hot glue applied.

Another idea I had was to use iron-on edging strip.

I've done this with hot-melt glue, placed on a fabric strip, heated on a
hot plate so it goes into one gooey lump.

Place fabric strip on some foil - to stop it sticking to the hotplate.
Place clamped aligned book back on hot plate, along with the heated
fabric/glue.
Press down firmly while still on the hot plate for some seconds.
Slide foil off hot plate onto cold surface.
Allow to cool for several minutes.
Trim, and iron edges back.
Alternatively, there are progessional book-binders.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

Ian_m, how many pages?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On 30 May 2006 19:47:07 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

All excellent suggestions! Thanks to all respondents!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:59:07 +0100, MM wrote:

If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages?

Quite good, I've used it on a number of paperback books to good
effect.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

MM wrote:

But phone books, Argos catalogues etc are not bound with PVA, are
they? The binding looks like it's been done in a thermal binding
machine, i.e. using hot glue. As do most of the recent paperbacks on
my bookshelf. I am hoping to avoid the cost of a thermal binder!

IIRC you can get thermal binding systems that do just what you
describe... a sort of DIY version of "perfect bound".

In fact, have a look at:

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/(lik1xyexvp5fix3xqhn4zq55)/catalogSku.aspx?id=260T&N=2&PR=Q26

Only upto 24mm thick though...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:59:07 +0100, MM wrote:

If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages?

Quite good, I've used it on a number of paperback books to good
effect.

Thermal binding is good for appearance, but plain old staples are quite
a bit more durable.

You can use single page sheets, or sew the paper first, or fold each
sheet singly then glue.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Wed, 31 May 2006 00:35:21 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

MM wrote:

But phone books, Argos catalogues etc are not bound with PVA, are
they? The binding looks like it's been done in a thermal binding
machine, i.e. using hot glue. As do most of the recent paperbacks on
my bookshelf. I am hoping to avoid the cost of a thermal binder!

IIRC you can get thermal binding systems that do just what you
describe... a sort of DIY version of "perfect bound".

In fact, have a look at:

http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/(lik1xyexvp5fix3xqhn4zq55)/catalogSku.aspx?id=260T&N=2&PR=Q26

Only upto 24mm thick though...

You can get a Fellowes one that goes up to 2 iches, I believe. But
these machines are not cheap! I am looking for ways to do it "on the
cheap"! (I'm only talking about one or two copies for personal/family
use.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Tue, 30 May 2006 23:20:05 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2006 15:59:07 +0100, MM wrote:

If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think
the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350
pages?

Quite good, I've used it on a number of paperback books to good
effect.

Ah, excellent! Any tips, Peter, that you could pass on? I suppose I
should try it first on some scrap paper.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

On Wed, 31 May 2006 10:02:52 +0100, MM wrote:

Ah, excellent! Any tips, Peter, that you could pass on? I suppose I
should try it first on some scrap paper.

I've mainly done it on paperback cookery books which had broken up
because they were both quite thick and always used flat. In most
cases the spine cover has been badly worn and the book broken into
sections. I've generally made a new spine cover out of thick brown
paper and then clamped the book at the spine between two pieces of
wood. Allow the gun to get fully up to temperature and then cover
the spine with a fairly generous film of adhesive and stick the brown
paper on with an allowance of about an inch either side. Leave about
10 mins, remove the clamp and stick the excess brown paper down on
the front and back covers (or cut it off). On one I got interrupted
and the hot melt glue set before I'd fixed the paper down properly -
a quick run over with a hot iron (standard ironing type iron) fixed
it all up.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Wed, 31 May 2006 17:52:23 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

[...]

Thanks!

MM

How much gap for glue for these joints....? bent Woodworking 16 February 26th 06 05:21 PM
Titebond Glue CNT Woodworking 9 May 19th 05 03:53 AM
veneering with yellow glue + iron Wyatt Woodworking 6 February 23rd 05 04:25 PM
Wood glue Alexander Galkin Woodworking 15 June 28th 04 01:26 AM
Popping glue lines T. Woodworking 0 October 27th 03 05:39 AM