Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robert Campbell

Default Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper

My study used to be the previous owner's toddler's room, and is cosily
decorated, except for the Winnie the Pooh border right around the middle
of it. Any ideas on the best way to get this off without damaging the
wallpaper underneath? It's painted a colour I quite like, and seems to
be some sort of emossed patterned vinyl (but it might just be paper).
I've tried gently peeling the border off, but it leaves bits behind.
I've checked the archives, but can't find anything specific about this.
Ta!
Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Robert Campbell wrote:
My study used to be the previous owner's toddler's room, and is cosily
decorated, except for the Winnie the Pooh border right around the
middle of it. Any ideas on the best way to get this off without
damaging the wallpaper underneath? It's painted a colour I quite
like, and seems to be some sort of emossed patterned vinyl (but it
might just be paper). I've tried gently peeling the border off, but
it leaves bits behind. I've checked the archives, but can't find
anything specific about this. Ta!
Robert

Impossible,however have you thought about painting it a complimentry colour
to the main colour?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Robert Campbell" wrote in message
My study used to be the previous owner's toddler's room, and is cosily
decorated, except for the Winnie the Pooh border right around the middle
of it. Any ideas on the best way to get this off without damaging the
wallpaper underneath? It's painted a colour I quite like, and seems to
be some sort of emossed patterned vinyl (but it might just be paper).
I've tried gently peeling the border off, but it leaves bits behind.
I've checked the archives, but can't find anything specific about this.
Ta!
Robert

You can SEE the walls in your study?

You haven't enough shelving or notice boards :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Mon, 22 May 2006 15:22:56 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Impossible,however have you thought about painting it a complimentry colour
to the main colour?

Or finding another border to stick on top of it?

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Robert Campbell wrote:
My study used to be the previous owner's toddler's room, and is cosily
decorated, except for the Winnie the Pooh border right around the middle
of it. Any ideas on the best way to get this off without damaging the
wallpaper underneath? It's painted a colour I quite like, and seems to
be some sort of emossed patterned vinyl (but it might just be paper).
I've tried gently peeling the border off, but it leaves bits behind.

What happens if you dampen it? If it's vinyl underneath it
should be OK if you're careful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

wrote:

Impossible,however have you thought about painting it a complimentry colour
to the main colour?

Or finding another border to stick on top of it?

Sorry to F.U. to own post.

Just to add you can buy self adhesive borders that might make it a
fairly quick and painless task.

DG
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

wrote:

Impossible,however have you thought about painting it a complimentry
colour

Where does he expect you get free paint from?

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Impossible,however have you thought about painting it a complimentry
colour

Where does he expect you get free paint from?

:-) Ony the colour is free. He has to pay for the paint.

Mary

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

wrote:

Impossible,however have you thought about painting it a
complimentry colour

Where does he expect you get free paint from?

Havn't you finished with that 5 litres you hitched from B&Q?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Mary Fisher wrote:

:-) Ony the colour is free. He has to pay for the paint.

That's harking back to the days before these new-fangled ready mixed
paints...

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

:-) Ony the colour is free. He has to pay for the paint.

That's harking back to the days before these new-fangled ready mixed
paints...

It's been a long time since we bought paint ...

However, we're going to have to. The paper in our smallest room has suddenly
begun first oozing and how leaping off the wall. I blame the wind. He says
it's me pulling it off.

Who?

Little me??

I admit that it would be nice to have a change of decoration, preferably
plain paint rather than flower-sprigged paper after twenty odd years but I
wouldn't go to such lengths, would I ?

WOULD I ??

Mary

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
I admit that it would be nice to have a change of decoration, preferably
plain paint rather than flower-sprigged paper after twenty odd years

Laura Ashley?

That's the one - I couldn't think of the name - thanks :-)

That's typical of old things, they start decaying into decrepitude just as
they come back into fashion.

Lik me, you mean? LOL

I didn't know it was back in fashion. It was an odd roll we were given way
back then - it's only paper half way up, to the - wossisname rail - and the
then youngest teenager ragged the upper part. He was studying design and
said it was the latest thing (although I remember my mother doing it with
distemper in the 1940s)

Now he's a fully qualified, practising and well paid designer and shudders
at the sight every time he goes in there!

Mary

Owain