SueDelete

Default Stickers on doow window

Does anyone know an easy way to get stickers off glass that have been there for
years please? tried white spirit and nail varnish remover!
thanks
Sue

John Rumm

SueDelete wrote:

Does anyone know an easy way to get stickers off glass that have been there for
years please? tried white spirit and nail varnish remover!

If they are paper, then use label remover spray. It is basically a
citrus oil that soaks through the lable and softens the glue.

A few to choose from he

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/searc...nSubmit=Search

--
Cheers,

John.

SueDelete

Thanks for that...the label remover site looks good even though P&P is over the
top £3.99 for a £2.39 spray!!!!
thanks again
Sue
Jerry Built

SueDelete wrote:
Does anyone know an easy way to get stickers off glass that have
been there for years please? tried white spirit and nail varnish
remover!

White spirit/meths mentioned. Was your nail varnish remover
acetone? If not, try some. Cellulose thinners (from hardware
shops in small quantities) gets off many things. A window
scraper (metal, uses razor blade inserts, from hardware
shops) is helpful, also useful in general for window
decorating. I suppose a hammer and bolster chisel is OTT?

J.B.

BillV

"SueDelete" wrote in message
Thanks for that...the label remover site looks good even though P&P is

over the
top £3.99 for a £2.39 spray!!!!
thanks again
Sue

Maplin sell their own brand label remover in their shops.
I find it very good.
Smells of very strong citric acid, maybe thats what is...

Andrew Mawson

"BillV" wrote in message

"SueDelete" wrote in message
Thanks for that...the label remover site looks good even though P&P is

over the
top £3.99 for a £2.39 spray!!!!
thanks again
Sue

Maplin sell their own brand label remover in their shops.
I find it very good.
Smells of very strong citric acid, maybe thats what is...

Best stuff I've ever found to remove sticky labels is the little cans of
"lighter fluid" for petrol cigarette lighters. Cheap, effective and has a
can that seals well with a litle spout.

Andrew Mawson

nightjar

"SueDelete" wrote in message
Does anyone know an easy way to get stickers off glass that have been

there for
years please? tried white spirit and nail varnish remover!
thanks

Single edged razor blade (or craft knife blade in holder) and elbow grease.

Colin Bignell

Ian Stirling

John Rumm wrote:
SueDelete wrote:

Does anyone know an easy way to get stickers off glass that have been there for
years please? tried white spirit and nail varnish remover!

If they are paper, then use label remover spray. It is basically a
citrus oil that soaks through the lable and softens the glue.

A few to choose from he

I've found sunflower oil, or even margarine works well.
It takes a few hours to work.
william

Jerry Built wrote in message .. .
SueDelete wrote:
Does anyone know an easy way to get stickers off glass that have
been there for years please? tried white spirit and nail varnish
remover!

wd 40 penetrating oil spray it on leave a few seconds rub label off
with fingers or cloth!

John Rumm

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Best stuff I've ever found to remove sticky labels is the little cans of
"lighter fluid" for petrol cigarette lighters. Cheap, effective and has a
can that seals well with a litle spout.

Although the citrus stuff is less likely to scorch your eyebrows off and
set light to your house ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

raden

In message , SueDelete
writes
Does anyone know an easy way to get stickers off glass that have been there for
years please? tried white spirit and nail varnish remover!
thanks
Sue

Stanley knife blades

--
geoff
N. Thornton

SueDelete wrote:
Does anyone know an easy way to get stickers off glass that have
been there for years please? tried white spirit and nail varnish
remover!

White spirit/meths mentioned. Was your nail varnish remover
acetone? If not, try some. Cellulose thinners (from hardware
shops in small quantities) gets off many things. A window
scraper (metal, uses razor blade inserts, from hardware
shops) is helpful, also useful in general for window
decorating. I suppose a hammer and bolster chisel is OTT?

Paraffin also gets some things off that nothing else touches, not even
lighter fluid.

Regards, NT
troubleinstore

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Jerry Built wrote in message

.. .
SueDelete wrote:
Does anyone know an easy way to get stickers off glass that have
been there for years please? tried white spirit and nail varnish
remover!

White spirit/meths mentioned. Was your nail varnish remover
acetone? If not, try some. Cellulose thinners (from hardware
shops in small quantities) gets off many things. A window
scraper (metal, uses razor blade inserts, from hardware
shops) is helpful, also useful in general for window
decorating. I suppose a hammer and bolster chisel is OTT?

Paraffin also gets some things off that nothing else touches, not even
lighter fluid.

Regards, NT

I have mentioned a few times on this group that I use Isoprpanol which you
can get from the chemist. Just tell them that you need it for cleaning
purposes.
If you have a small bottle of CD cleaner that normally comes with the CD
cleaning kits, this is also Isopropanol.
I use it all the time for removing all manner of things.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

---

The Natural Philosopher

troubleinstore wrote:

om...

SueDelete wrote:

[...]

Try everything except whichever acid it is that etches glass. Ah
Hydrofluoric.

You have choices.

- Isopropanol - thats basically 'keyboard and screen cleaner' 'car
washer additive'
- ethanol - basically methylated spirits and alcopops.
- methanol. Not sure if that is sold anywhere 'as is' retail, but model
aircraft glo fuel is about 70% methanol.
- Nitromethane. Hard to get. 'raw' but CA debonder contains it usually
as does glo fuel (above).
- white spirits turpentines and paint thinners- easily available generic
class of 'soft' solvents.
- petrol
- paraffin, diesel and kerosene type olefins.
- acetone - Often nail varnish remover.
- cellulose thinners. Various types.
- Nitromors. Highly agressive on most organic materials. No idea whats
in it, but it stings like hell.
- phosphorc acid. Mostly ant-rust treatments for steel etc.
- caustic soda.
- Hydrochloric acid (spirit of salts/patio cleaner/brick acid)

Combinations of some or all of these will destroy/dissolve just about
anything, and all are safe on glass.

Places to get these chemicals are
- builders merchants
- good hardware stores
- chemists
- car accesory shops
- model shops.

IMHO all enthustisatic D-I-Y'ers should have a working knowledge of
basic chemistry.

Nick Brooks

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
troubleinstore wrote:

om...

SueDelete wrote:

[...]

An excellent list of solvents to which I'd add Orange Solvent
(frequently used by dentists) and sold as "Sticky Stuff Remover"
John Rumm

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

- Nitromethane. Hard to get. 'raw' but CA debonder contains it usually
as does glo fuel (above).

Model Technics in Shoebury will sell you component parts of glo fuel
separately if you go to thie factory... Be prepared to take out a second
mortgage if you want a gallon of Nito though ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Peter Twydell

In article , BillV
writes

"SueDelete" wrote in message
Thanks for that...the label remover site looks good even though P&P is

over the
top £3.99 for a £2.39 spray!!!!
thanks again
Sue

Maplin sell their own brand label remover in their shops.
I find it very good.
Smells of very strong citric acid, maybe thats what is...

It can attack some plastics. I used it on a whole bunch of audio
cassettes and although it loosened the labels, some of the plastic
surfaces were etched by it. Some weren't, however.

I used a hair dryer in the end. Much more effective, and it can be used
for removing most kinds of labels/stickers and adhesive tapes.

Clean up any residue with WD40 or isopropanol.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Bricking up bodged window installation [email protected] UK diy 2 February 25th 04 05:13 PM
Sagging bay window - probable cause found? David Hearn UK diy 7 January 14th 04 04:21 PM
Flat Roof Side Window Gary Holt UK diy 1 October 6th 03 08:49 PM
Best way to Seal Gap at top of Window? Michael D UK diy 1 September 6th 03 11:24 PM
problem with velux window BigWallop UK diy 1 July 23rd 03 09:20 PM