Posted to uk.d-i-y
James

Default replacing single ceramic wall tile

Hi,

Recently a soap holder fell off my bathroom wall. I never used it so I am
not concerned about replacing it. It was stuck to the tile using tile
adhesive and screws (which are now rusted beyond use). The only option I can
see to clean this tile up is to remove it and replace it.

However, I think that the tiles were layed on top of existing tiles by the
previous house owner. I have looked into methods of removing tiles from
walls but am a bit concerned about not damaging the underlying surface. Is
there anything I can do to minimise the impact to the previous tiles?

Thanks,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VisionSet

"James" wrote in message
Hi,

Recently a soap holder fell off my bathroom wall. I never used it so I am
not concerned about replacing it. It was stuck to the tile using tile
adhesive and screws (which are now rusted beyond use). The only option I

can
see to clean this tile up is to remove it and replace it.

However, I think that the tiles were layed on top of existing tiles by the
previous house owner. I have looked into methods of removing tiles from
walls but am a bit concerned about not damaging the underlying surface. Is
there anything I can do to minimise the impact to the previous tiles?

Don't worry about the surface below. Just remove loose shards and level it
up with tile adhesive, then tile with more adhesive when its dried. It'll
be fine.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "James" contains these words:

Is there anything I can do to minimise the impact to the previous tiles?

Yeah, don't hit it too hard. If you're really worried, you could drill a
hole in the middle of the tile and use a screwdriver to bust the tile
from inside. Otherwise, just bash it with a hammer and dig the shards
out.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

James wrote:
Hi,

Recently a soap holder fell off my bathroom wall. I never used it so I am
not concerned about replacing it. It was stuck to the tile using tile
adhesive and screws (which are now rusted beyond use). The only option I can
see to clean this tile up is to remove it and replace it.

However, I think that the tiles were layed on top of existing tiles by the
previous house owner. I have looked into methods of removing tiles from
walls but am a bit concerned about not damaging the underlying surface. Is
there anything I can do to minimise the impact to the previous tiles?

Thanks,

James

Try using a scraper and a decent strong acid like hydrochloric (harpic
loo descaler?) to get the grout out round it.

I'd be inclined to try and clean it up and fill any holes with grout,
unless you know you can match it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On 20 May 2006 11:32:02 -0500, "James"
wrote:

Hi,

Recently a soap holder fell off my bathroom wall. I never used it so I am
not concerned about replacing it. It was stuck to the tile using tile
adhesive and screws (which are now rusted beyond use). The only option I can
see to clean this tile up is to remove it and replace it.

However, I think that the tiles were layed on top of existing tiles by the
previous house owner. I have looked into methods of removing tiles from
walls but am a bit concerned about not damaging the underlying surface. Is
there anything I can do to minimise the impact to the previous tiles?

Thanks,

James

De-grout around the edges and then hit it with a tack hammer to break
it and pull the shards off. Be delicate and you won't have trouble.
The important bit is removing the old grout to release the edges.