Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps

Default Aldi Sat Nav for £150

Dave wrote:
Just wondered if this is worth the £ do you think?

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...uctnl_214.html

Can't comment about how good it is (I'm a Garmin user myself), but it looks
just like the one that Medion have on their web-site for £179.
Might be worth a look if it can be used as a standard PDA too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Dave wrote:
Just wondered if this is worth the £ do you think?

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...uctnl_214.html

Can't comment about how good it is (I'm a Garmin user myself), but it looks
just like the one that Medion have on their web-site for £179.
Might be worth a look if it can be used as a standard PDA too.

When it says 'major' roads in Western Europe, which UK roads are likely to be
missing? For use by foot/bicycle the answer should be 'none outside private
estates' - but is that the case?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan

In message , John Cartmell
wrote
In article ,
Grumps wrote:
Dave wrote:
Just wondered if this is worth the £ do you think?

http://uk.aldi.com/sunday_special_bu...uctnl_214.html

Can't comment about how good it is (I'm a Garmin user myself), but it looks
just like the one that Medion have on their web-site for £179.
Might be worth a look if it can be used as a standard PDA too.

When it says 'major' roads in Western Europe, which UK roads are likely to be
missing?

It will have all the roads in the UK but they probably will have a get
out clause saying 99% of the roads. Changes to major roads take around
two years to appear on the maps and 'new' housing estate roads may take
a lot longer.

There are only two main companies supplying maps to the SatNav
manufactures, Navteq and Teleatlas and the experts claim there is very
little difference between the two UK databases.

A friend of mine purchased a similar offer from Lidl a few years back
and the Navteq maps were better than I had on my Tomtom unit (Teleatlas)
with regards being up-to-date.

For use by foot/bicycle the answer should be 'none outside private
estates' - but is that the case?

The major roads of Europe will be equivalent to Motorways and perhaps
the major A roads in mainland Europe.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com