Default shower drain for tiled shower floor

Having done my research on tiled shower floors, I now know that we
have to tank our bathroom with a shower pan liner sandwiched in a
sloping mortar bed and use a clamping ring drain that will secure the
shower pan, which allows water trapped in it to drain through the
weepholes of these 2-part clamping drains.

One of my questions is -- if you got one of these clamping shower
drains (like Oatey or Zurn, etc.), do you have to get a separate
(P-/S-) trap to connect it to? Finding these shower drains is a pain
in Ireland and the UK, where we are constructing the shower. The only
make I've come across that is distributed in the UK and Ireland is
Aco. (There is also Wade drainage but they do industrial-sized drains
that seem overkill for a domestic place)

Aco has the Fulbora Shower Drain:
http://www.aco-technologies.com/acos...t/shower1.html

which has an integrated trap and clamping ring. It is also 5 times the
price of, say an Oatey clamping ring drain in the States!

Aco also does a Micro Floor Drain:
http://www.aco-technologies.com/acos...ct/micro1.html

but it doesn't seem to be a clamping-type drain even though the size
suits our small bathroom better. Is this micro floor drain definitely
unsuitable?

Does anyone know of other suppliers or makes of such shower drains in
Ireland or the rest of Europe?

I've searched for weeks! Any leads appreciated

Gina
David Meiland

(g) wrote:

[...]

The link for the ACO you listed above makes it appear to have its own
trap built in, therefore the side outlet. Just make sure it's pointed
the right way in the joist bay. I can't see from the drawing how you
would allow for the thickness of the secondary mortar bed above the
membrane, but it may work that way.

The typical shower drains we use here don't have integral traps. They
allow for a secondary mortar bed floated on top of the membrane (the
tile is set to this bed). They have vertical outlets, so we install
them and then go underfloor to pipe in a trap with ABS, cast iron, or
copper pipe. Then the tilesetter starts floating mud.
---
David Meiland
Friday Harbor, WA
http://davidmeiland.com/

**Check the reply address before sending mail
Toby

Does anyone know of other suppliers or makes of such shower drains in
Ireland or the rest of Europe?

I can see a similar type that include the surface grate, the clamping ring,
and the trap in one unit.

I can't see the maker, but CityPlumbing(.co.uk for a branch listing) do
these two shower floor gullies.
TSG1SS for use with sheet flooring & TSG1T6SS for use with 150mm tiled floor
£42.95 + VAT (RRP 57.25 + VAT)
"75mm seal trapped shower gullies. Fits to 1 1/2" solvent waste. To drain
water from a floor or showering area. With stainless steel top"

The tiled version has a stainless steel 150mm square top housing a circular
grating, the sheet floor version just has a smooth circular perimeter grate
i.e. it looks like a flat disc.

CP who are part of Travis Perkins, have no Irish branches, maybe Glasgow or
Carmarthen are closest?

Toby.

Ned Flanders

The zurn is the way to go.
9 out of 10 tile guys who know their stuff will say
they like the zurn method. You can attach a 2" drain to it with trap.

wet room shower drain g UK diy 5 September 1st 03 02:19 PM
New Condensing Boiler and Shower Bjorn UK diy 19 August 13th 03 04:54 PM
strange shaped shower rail NC UK diy 2 July 31st 03 01:33 PM
Thoughts from the shower #1 BigWallop UK diy 0 July 26th 03 06:30 PM
Leaky AquaLisa shower AlexL UK diy 3 July 9th 03 10:27 AM