Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Tomlinson

Default Flickering light since blown bulb & fuse

Hi all,

My bathroom light halogen bulb (1 of 3 on a centre light mounting -
bathroom-safe) came to the end of its life and popped, throwing the main
lighting tripswitch/fuse.

When I reset the fuse and put a new bulb in, I notice that ever since then
the entire lighting rig in that room only, flickers now and then. It's on a
pull-cord, and the flickering is like what happens when you pull the cord
down slightly but not all the way.

Any ideas where to look for the fault?
--
Thanks,
Me

I recommend www.Superhighstreet.com/home Finds anything or they pay for it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Anthropist

"Chris Tomlinson" wrote:
Hi all,

My bathroom light halogen bulb (1 of 3 on a centre light mounting -
bathroom-safe) came to the end of its life and popped, throwing the main
lighting tripswitch/fuse.

When I reset the fuse and put a new bulb in, I notice that ever since then
the entire lighting rig in that room only, flickers now and then. It's on
a pull-cord, and the flickering is like what happens when you pull the
cord down slightly but not all the way.

Any ideas where to look for the fault?
--
Thanks,
Me

I recommend www.Superhighstreet.com/home Finds anything or they pay for
it!

The ceiling mounted cord operated light switch might be knackered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Chris Tomlinson wrote:
Hi all,

My bathroom light halogen bulb (1 of 3 on a centre light mounting -
bathroom-safe) came to the end of its life and popped, throwing the main
lighting tripswitch/fuse.

When I reset the fuse and put a new bulb in, I notice that ever since then
the entire lighting rig in that room only, flickers now and then. It's on a
pull-cord, and the flickering is like what happens when you pull the cord
down slightly but not all the way.

Any ideas where to look for the fault?

Mm. Probably a switch or contact has arced a bit under the high load and
become unreliable.

In my electronics days, this usually involved srpaying the boards with
freeze spray until we found the general area, then a bit of wiggling or
close inspection found the bad connection.

Try careful wiggling of switches and junction boxes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:34:36 GMT someone who may be "Chris
Tomlinson" wrote this:-

My bathroom light halogen bulb (1 of 3 on a centre light mounting -
bathroom-safe)

No such thing as safe with electricity.

Safer than something else, but not safe.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Tomlinson wrote:
Hi all,

My bathroom light halogen bulb (1 of 3 on a centre light mounting -
bathroom-safe) came to the end of its life and popped, throwing the main
lighting tripswitch/fuse.

When I reset the fuse and put a new bulb in, I notice that ever since then
the entire lighting rig in that room only, flickers now and then. It's on a
pull-cord, and the flickering is like what happens when you pull the cord
down slightly but not all the way.

Any ideas where to look for the fault?

Fault may be any of the items involved. Where to look seems to obvious
to say. Get yourself a multimeter and test it, theres no way youre
going to know what part the problem is otherwise..

NT

OT - light bulb JohnM Metalworking 0 August 24th 05 08:33 PM
wiring confusion/ouside light James UK diy 1 May 25th 05 05:07 AM
Low Voltage Light Fuse Keeps Blowing! Charles Gregory UK diy 8 December 31st 04 12:52 AM
Found elsewhere but perhaps a bit close to home? John UK diy 5 December 30th 04 12:28 AM
Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 09:28 PM