Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lenny Brown

Default removing old tile adhesive

Hi Just removed all the old tiles from the bathroom the walls
are a mess I was just wandering if anyone had any tips to getting the
old adhesive off the walls Scraping is gonna take some time..
Thanks for any help

Lenny
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed D Ball

They say soak them in water but mine have been in for 2 weeks now and
although the adhesive is starting to soften, i think it willbe a few more
weeks until the water penetrates all the way.
Probably easier to go for some new ones and brighten the place up .I will be
interested in any further ideas..........
"Lenny Brown" wrote in message

Hi Just removed all the old tiles from the bathroom the walls
are a mess I was just wandering if anyone had any tips to getting the
old adhesive off the walls Scraping is gonna take some time..
Thanks for any help

Lenny

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lenny Brown wrote:
Hi Just removed all the old tiles from the bathroom the walls
are a mess I was just wandering if anyone had any tips to getting the
old adhesive off the walls Scraping is gonna take some time..

Wide bolster chisel, and go at it gently.

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christopher Lewis

"Lenny Brown" wrote in message

Hi Just removed all the old tiles from the bathroom the walls
are a mess I was just wandering if anyone had any tips to getting the
old adhesive off the walls Scraping is gonna take some time..
Thanks for any help

Lenny

Either a wide chisel. or do what i did and use a belt sander Messy but
effective!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

On Tue, 02 May 2006 20:47:22 GMT, "Christopher Lewis"
wrote:

"Lenny Brown" wrote in message
.. .

Hi Just removed all the old tiles from the bathroom the walls
are a mess I was just wandering if anyone had any tips to getting the
old adhesive off the walls Scraping is gonna take some time..
Thanks for any help

Lenny

Either a wide chisel. or do what i did and use a belt sander Messy but
effective!

I'm sure I saw a recent suggestion of using a wallpaper steam stripper.
Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

Ed D Ball wrote:
They say soak them in water but mine have been in for 2 weeks now and
although the adhesive is starting to soften, i think it willbe a few more
weeks until the water penetrates all the way.

It must be quite a tank to put your walls in though :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Ed D Ball wrote:
They say soak them in water but mine have been in for 2 weeks now and
although the adhesive is starting to soften, i think it willbe a few more
weeks until the water penetrates all the way.
Probably easier to go for some new ones and brighten the place up .I will be
interested in any further ideas..........
"Lenny Brown" wrote...
Hi Just removed all the old tiles from the bathroom the walls
are a mess I was just wandering if anyone had any tips to getting the
old adhesive off the walls Scraping is gonna take some time..
Thanks for any help

Ed, you are psoting upside-down. Anyway, Mr. Brown was asking about
how to remove adhesive from his walls, not the tiles! Unless you
have vitreous (or =) tiles, soaking them to remove adhesive is
likely to produce a poor tile for re-use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Stuart" wrote in message

I'm sure I saw a recent suggestion of using a wallpaper steam stripper.
Stuart

Yes that is definately the way to go. I have done it MANY times an it
leaves your walls fkat and adhesive free ready for re-tiling.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Hi Just removed all the old tiles from the bathroom the walls
are a mess I was just wandering if anyone had any tips to getting the
old adhesive off the walls Scraping is gonna take some time..

Remove most with a chisel then finish off with a belt sander. A steamer may
work, but might also damage the backing, depending on what it is and how
good the adhesive was.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

"Lenny Brown" wrote in message

Hi Just removed all the old tiles from the bathroom the walls
are a mess I was just wandering if anyone had any tips to getting the
old adhesive off the walls Scraping is gonna take some time..
Thanks for any help

In my case, wall in last house was "dot and daub" plasterboard, remove tiles
with bolster, remove old plasterboard, replace plasterboard this time
ensuring level, square, flat and vertical unlike original, dry line/scrim
joints, re-apply tiles with waterproof adhesive, grout with epoxy based
adhesive, job done.

Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian McArdle
Hi Just removed all the old tiles from the bathroom the walls
are a mess I was just wandering if anyone had any tips to getting the
old adhesive off the walls Scraping is gonna take some time..

Remove most with a chisel then finish off with a belt sander. A steamer may
work, but might also damage the backing, depending on what it is and how
good the adhesive was.

Christian.
Buy a wide sds chisel from screwfix designed to remove tiles from the wall. After a while you will find you can pop off most of the tile cement easily without damaging the plaster underneath. Brilliant!!

Uneven Tile [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 22nd 06 06:48 PM
Tile adhesive F UK diy 3 February 14th 06 10:56 AM
Removing linoleum and adhesive from a kitchen floor Bob Home Repair 3 August 12th 05 02:16 AM
removing glued carpet over vynal tile louis Home Repair 1 July 4th 04 12:26 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 3rd 04 12:52 AM