Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fish tank with power head, possible electrical leak?

Hello all

I have a fish tank with a submersible water pump that would supply
water to the overhead filter. When i tested it the water with a
eletronic test pen, it shows that theres 36V current. ( AC i think, i
am no good with these)

Is that a leak or is that common to have some current when a pump is
in? my catfish seems fine in it.

should replace the pump, i am not sure if the new pump wont have this
problem.

thanks in advance

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ken r

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all

I have a fish tank with a submersible water pump that would supply
water to the overhead filter. When i tested it the water with a
eletronic test pen, it shows that theres 36V current. ( AC i think, i
am no good with these)

Is that a leak or is that common to have some current when a pump is
in? my catfish seems fine in it.

should replace the pump, i am not sure if the new pump wont have this
problem.

thanks in advance

I would look again at the reading and what it is you're testing as what you
posted doesn't make sense.
if the fish is happy and you didn't get your hand blown off it can't be that
bad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hello Ken

thanks for your reply. i am using a multi functional digital tester.
its like a test pen with a digital screen read out, just got it
recently. I dipped the tip of the tester into the water. its something
like this

http://aoneng.en.alibaba.com/product...on_L amp.html

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MULTIFUNCTION...cmdZView Item

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

wrote in message
oups.com...
hello Ken

thanks for your reply. i am using a multi functional digital tester.
its like a test pen with a digital screen read out, just got it
recently. I dipped the tip of the tester into the water. its something
like this

What is it actually measuring though?
Its probably not measuring any leakage at all.
(It only appears to have one connection so its using induction of some sort.
It will probably detect it if you hold it near the powerhead outside the
tank.)

The fish will swim around quite happy even with a mains extension in the
tank,
I know that from experience.
It does tingle when you reach in to get it but its not painful.
You will probably remember to turn the mains off next time.
I certainly remember now and it happened 38 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message .com,
" writes
Hello all

I have a fish tank with a submersible water pump that would supply
water to the overhead filter. When i tested it the water with a
eletronic test pen, it shows that theres 36V current. ( AC i think, i
am no good with these)

Try measuring it with a proper meter, not a toy

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

i dipped the tip of 2 of my normal test pens (those with a small bulbs
in them )and the bulb lit too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message . com,
" writes
i dipped the tip of 2 of my normal test pens (those with a small bulbs
in them )and the bulb lit too.

You might just as well stick your penis in - you'll get more or less the
same non quantifiable result

Without real figures (i.e. volts), you're going nowhere fast
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message . com,
" writes

i dipped the tip of 2 of my normal test pens (those with a small bulbs
in them )and the bulb lit too.

You might just as well stick your penis in - you'll get more or less the
same non quantifiable result

Without real figures (i.e. volts), you're going nowhere fast

lol - thats not recommended either. Like Geoff says, your reading
doesnt tell you whats needed in order to know whether theres a problem.

All I could say is that if the neon lights, there is some leakage
somewhere - but whether its in the fish tank or not I cant know, and
whether its safe or not I cant know. Raden's test would certainly tell
you!

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

my redtail catfish would get me if the current doesnt

the cheap electronic test pen says 36V of current detected as
previously mentioned. What other equipment is needed to test?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello John

thanks for your kind info on amp versus Voltage. Will bear that in
mind.

If i were to move it t close to a
normal electric fitting in air, it doesnt light without me
touching anything conductive. its only when i place the tip of the
tester in water that it lights ups.

from your view is this dangerous or what should i do now. change a
power head pump?

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello John

thanks for your kind info on amp versus Voltage. Will bear that in
mind.

If i were to move it t close to a
normal electric fitting in air, it doesnt light without me
touching anything conductive. its only when i place the tip of the
tester in water that it lights ups.

from your view is this dangerous or what should i do now. change a
power head pump?

Change the powerhead.. they only cost £18.
Then you can see if the new one lights it up too so you will know if you
wasted the cash.

can you weld a pinhole in a water tank? Grant Erwin Metalworking 33 April 20th 18 01:18 PM
books on electrical wiring [email protected] Home Repair 10 May 9th 06 04:13 PM
Hot Water Tank Leak rburr49 UK diy 4 April 13th 06 09:23 PM
Power shower electrical shocks Dave UK diy 4 June 4th 04 07:54 PM
New Electrical Regs PoP UK diy 22 September 1st 03 08:41 PM