Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flaking and blistering masonry paint - Part 2

Hi guys. I previously started a thread about painting masonry paint on
masonry sills. The sills previously had gloss paint on them which
caused problems.

I finally did something about it this weekend and scrubbed off what i
could and then took a blow torch to the remainder and fried the lot
*lol*.

Having got to bare masonry, well it's left with some chalky white
stuff. I will wash down what's left and go over with some sandpaper.

Do i now need to use any undercoat? or can i go straight ahead with
masonry paint (which hopefully won't flake and blister this time
round).

Many thanks for any comments in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Rob Morley wrote:
In article .com
wrote:

Hi guys. I previously started a thread about painting masonry paint on
masonry sills. The sills previously had gloss paint on them which
caused problems.

I finally did something about it this weekend and scrubbed off what i
could and then took a blow torch to the remainder and fried the lot
*lol*.

Having got to bare masonry, well it's left with some chalky white
stuff. I will wash down what's left and go over with some sandpaper.

Do i now need to use any undercoat? or can i go straight ahead with
masonry paint (which hopefully won't flake and blister this time
round).

Many thanks for any comments in advance.

If you don't get past the chalky stuff you'll want to treat it with
stabilising solution before you paint it.

Use an oil based paint. Standard "masonry" paint is water based and
won't last long on sills.
Good idea to check that the surfaces are smooth and running away from
the house. Puddles are the main cause of damp on, and under, sills. Car
body filler is ideal for shallow filling
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:
In article .com
wrote:

Having got to bare masonry, well it's left with some chalky white
stuff. I will wash down what's left and go over with some sandpaper.

Do i now need to use any undercoat? or can i go straight ahead with
masonry paint (which hopefully won't flake and blister this time
round).

If you don't get past the chalky stuff you'll want to treat it with
stabilising solution before you paint it.

Use an oil based paint. Standard "masonry" paint is water based and
won't last long on sills.
Good idea to check that the surfaces are smooth and running away from
the house. Puddles are the main cause of damp on, and under, sills. Car
body filler is ideal for shallow filling

pliolite paints are 15 yr life rated, versus household oil based paints
with a 3 yr life. Figures approximate.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ok thanks for the comments so far guys. i will need to use stabilising
solution and some good quality paint.

many thanks to all who contributed.