Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

Default New fluorescent bulb won't fit

Hi,

I'm trying to replace a fluorescent bulb (1500mm x 38mm). The old and new
ones seem identical in size, except that the old one has pointed prongs,
which makes for easy insertion.

The prongs on the new one (General Electric) have flatish-round tips on the
prongs.

Whatever I try, the new one won't go into the holder (either end). I'm
tempted to file the prongs to a point but suspect the vibration would damage
the seal.

Any suggestions?

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to replace a fluorescent bulb (1500mm x 38mm). The old and new
ones seem identical in size, except that the old one has pointed prongs,
which makes for easy insertion.

The prongs on the new one (General Electric) have flatish-round tips on the
prongs.

Whatever I try, the new one won't go into the holder (either end). I'm
tempted to file the prongs to a point but suspect the vibration would damage
the seal.

Any suggestions?

Steve

just hammer it in. If I'm imagining you right, the flattened bits are
where it crimps the wires that come out the glass tube, making
fileability limited. Unfit for purpose maybe?

BTW they're 5', not 150000 sillimetres.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve

Thanks NT. I finally decided to carefully file each prong (the crimped bits
weren't too near the ends). And it worked!

It's a crumby design for the prongs. I'm sure others must have had the same
problem.
A tiny bit more effort by the designer would have prevented the problem.

Cheers

Steve

wrote in message
oups.com...