Posted to uk.d-i-y
DavidKendall

Default Garage Door Security

I've got an up and over door with the lock in the central handle and want to
improve the security.

Due to the gap between the metal edge and the side wood work it is not
really possible to fit any extra bolts at the bottom. I was thinking of
some kind of locking bar/post type arrangement in front of the door but have
only seen one in B&Q and it seemed a bit expensive.

Does anyone know, please, when I might find a suitable product or can off
any advice ?

Thanks
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield

DavidKendall wrote on 28/04/2006 :
I've got an up and over door with the lock in the central handle and want to
improve the security.

Due to the gap between the metal edge and the side wood work it is not really
possible to fit any extra bolts at the bottom. I was thinking of some kind
of locking bar/post type arrangement in front of the door but have only seen
one in B&Q and it seemed a bit expensive.

Does anyone know, please, when I might find a suitable product or can off any
advice ?

Thanks
Dave

Apart from adding the post you suggest:-

1. You could add extra spring type bolts into the side or top of the
frame, working off the existing handle/lock. Someone posted a source
for such door parts today in response to another enquiry in the ng.

2. You could fit an hasp and padlock at the bottom of the door to the
outside. Fit the hook part to the concrete and bolt the hinged part at
the bottom of the door.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Stewart

"DavidKendall" wrote in message
I've got an up and over door with the lock in the central handle and want

improve the security.

Does anyone know, please, when I might find a suitable product or can off
any advice ?

I secured my garage door (basically similar to yours) internally (only works
if garage has another door), by making use of the LH & RH brackets above the
door and from which, in my case, the hinge arms are mounted. I simply
dropped in two sturdy 90deg steel brackets. Anyone able to get past the
lock would have encountered these, and in addition the noise against the
steel door would, I hope, have been a deterrent.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Cut a hole in the garage door and pass a chain or wire rope through it
from the inside. The other end is secured inside the garage. Then snap
a padlock on the exposed end. Reinforcing the door where the chain
comes out would help and make it neater.
You would need a length of chord to pull the chain through the door as
you closed it but that goes away with you when the doors down and
locked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "DavidKendall" contains these words:

Does anyone know, please, when I might find a suitable product or can off
any advice ?

I fitted bolts at each corner into the side timbers. If there's a gap
build it out a bit. Fit metal plates behind the bolts so it's a sod to
get a saw in and ideally bolt through plates at the front to stop
drilling the wood out.

Failing that...
http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/...oor_Locks.html

http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/...Door_Lock.html