Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Overflow pipe dripping

I live in a 1st floor flat and have an overflow pipe which is slowly
dripping outside. The pipe is white, about 1 inch diameter and exits
the building at floor height.

I suspect that it may be my immersion heater or bath. Could someone
help me out?

The immersion heater has 2 electrical cables each connecting to a
seperate power switch on the wall next to it. The top switch on the
wall is on and the red power light is on. The bottom switch is on but
the red light is off.

I've also noticed that my bath takes over 10 minutes to empty about
10cms of water. Could this also be a candidate for my problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I live in a 1st floor flat and have an overflow pipe which is slowly
dripping outside. The pipe is white, about 1 inch diameter and exits
the building at floor height.

I suspect that it may be my immersion heater or bath. Could someone
help me out?

The immersion heater has 2 electrical cables each connecting to a
seperate power switch on the wall next to it. The top switch on the
wall is on and the red power light is on. The bottom switch is on but
the red light is off.

I've also noticed that my bath takes over 10 minutes to empty about
10cms of water. Could this also be a candidate for my problem?

What about your toilet? Have you checked the cistern? Might be that
simple.

Bath overflow normally goes back into the drain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me

wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in a 1st floor flat and have an overflow pipe which is slowly
dripping outside. The pipe is white, about 1 inch diameter and exits
the building at floor height.

I suspect that it may be my immersion heater or bath. Could someone
help me out?

The immersion heater has 2 electrical cables each connecting to a
seperate power switch on the wall next to it. The top switch on the
wall is on and the red power light is on. The bottom switch is on but
the red light is off.

I've also noticed that my bath takes over 10 minutes to empty about
10cms of water. Could this also be a candidate for my problem?

Put a few drips of different food colouring into each tank individually and
see which tank leaks the relevant colour

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks. Its a low level cistern. The water is at the same level as
the top of the overflow pipe. Water was very slowly trickling in from
the valve at the other end of the ballcock end so I've adjusted it as
suggested.

I'll give it a day or so and check that the dripping has stopped.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks. Its a low level cistern. The water is at the same level as
the top of the overflow pipe. Water was very slowly trickling in from
the valve at the other end of the ballcock end so I've adjusted it as
suggested.

I'll give it a day or so and check that the dripping has stopped.

You may find the cock is dripping, possibly due to a small obstruction.
I suggest, with the cistern full, bounce your ball up and down reasonably
hard, this seems to release small debris trapped in the valve.

Otherwise you need to either take the valve apart (turning off the water
first of course) and fix whatever is broken or word, or just get a new
valve!

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
adjust the screw on the ballcock arm so that the ballcock doesn't rise as
high, if it's on a metal arm, bend it slightly downwards (only about half
an inch).

Bending the arm is not now permitted.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...

adjust the screw on the ballcock arm so that the ballcock doesn't rise as
high, if it's on a metal arm, bend it slightly downwards (only about half
an inch).

Bending the arm is not now permitted.

Colin Bignell

Come on, you're 24 days late with that one!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
Thanks. Its a low level cistern. The water is at the same level as
the top of the overflow pipe. Water was very slowly trickling in from
the valve at the other end of the ballcock end so I've adjusted it as
suggested.

I'll give it a day or so and check that the dripping has stopped.

If it has a torbeck valve - a small all plastic device where the plastic
float can be adjusted by moving it to different notches on the arm - they
have a filter which can become blocked and sometimes the crud in a hard
water area just makes them give up. Cleaning doesn't always work. Cheap in
the sheds and easy to replace, though.

--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

chris.fellows wrote:
I live in a 1st floor flat and have an overflow pipe which is slowly
dripping outside. The pipe is white, about 1 inch diameter and exits
the building at floor height.

I suspect that it may be my immersion heater or bath. Could someone
help me out?

It's coming from the lavatory cistern, cold water tank, or central
heating header tank. First of all get the lid off the cistern, and
see whether the water gets up to the overflow pipe after a period
of non-use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Colin Bignell wrote

Bending the arm is not now permitted.

Says who? And how would they find out?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Colin Bignell wrote

Bending the arm is not now permitted.

Says who? And how would they find out?

If you bend the arm, it ceases to be of 'appropriate quality or standard'
for the purposes of Regulation 4 of the Water Supply (Water Fittings)
Regulations 1999. The approved method is either to fit a valve with adequate
adjustment, or to use an adjustable drop arm, which screws on in place of
the ball and has the ball attached to it. However, you would not have room
to fit a drop arm in a WC cistern, as they stick out at right angles to the
main arm. I supply drop arms up to 3/4" diameter and I suspect that bending
those is not an option anyway.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com contains
these words:

adjust the screw on the ballcock arm so that the ballcock doesn't rise
as
high, if it's on a metal arm, bend it slightly downwards (only about
half
an inch).

Bending the arm is not now permitted.

Seriously? What prawn dreamed that one up?

The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 require that water
fittings meet one of the approved standards and they only cover a device
that has not been subjected to unauthorised modification.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
If you bend the [float] arm, it ceases to be of 'appropriate quality or
standard' for the purposes of Regulation 4 of the Water Supply (Water
Fittings) Regulations 1999.

Why? Can you psot the relevant wording of the above?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Chris Bacon" wrote in message
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
If you bend the [float] arm, it ceases to be of 'appropriate quality or
standard' for the purposes of Regulation 4 of the Water Supply (Water
Fittings) Regulations 1999.

Why? Can you psot the relevant wording of the above?

'4. - (1) Every water fitting shall-

(a) be of an appropriate quality and standard; and

(b) be suitable for the circumstances in which it is used.

(2) For the purposes of this regulation, a water fitting is of an
appropriate quality or standard only if-

(a) it bears an appropriate CE marking in accordance with the Directive;

(b) it conforms to an appropriate harmonized standard or European
technical approval;

(c) it conforms to an appropriate British Standard or some other national
specification of an EEA State which provides an equivalent level of
protection and performance; or

(d) it conforms to a specification approved by the regulator.'

The relevant point is that water fittings now have to comply with one of the
specified standards and that, as it is impossible to know the effects of all
possible modifications, standards only apply to a device that has not been
subjected to an unauthorised modification.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com contains
these words:

adjust the screw on the ballcock arm so that the ballcock doesn't
rise as
high, if it's on a metal arm, bend it slightly downwards (only
about half
an inch).

Bending the arm is not now permitted.

Seriously? What prawn dreamed that one up?

The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 require that water
fittings meet one of the approved standards and they only cover a
device that has not been subjected to unauthorised modification.

Colin Bignell

Who cares? - apart from those set to profit from it?...it's no good coming
the 'thou shalt not' rubbish spouted by those with a vested interest, and
besides, a metal arm of a ballcock isn't a water fitting as such, it's
merely *attached* to a mechanism for turning the water on or off....but, I
assume it's an attempt to go the same way as other areas of plumbing,
electricals, glazing etc, IE another money making scam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

Well (and it's not often I swear on usenet), **** 'em.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:18:39 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com had this to say:

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com contains
these words:

adjust the screw on the ballcock arm so that the ballcock doesn't rise
as
high, if it's on a metal arm, bend it slightly downwards (only about
half
an inch).

Bending the arm is not now permitted.

Seriously? What prawn dreamed that one up?

The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 require that water
fittings meet one of the approved standards and they only cover a device
that has not been subjected to unauthorised modification.

Bending the arm is an accepted method of adjustment, not a
modification.

So is cutting a piece of copper pipe to the correct length an
unauthorised modification? After all, it was supplied in a standard
length :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:18:39 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com had this to say:

"Guy King" wrote in message
.. .
The message
from "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com contains
these words:

adjust the screw on the ballcock arm so that the ballcock doesn't
rise
as
high, if it's on a metal arm, bend it slightly downwards (only about
half
an inch).

Bending the arm is not now permitted.

Seriously? What prawn dreamed that one up?

The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 require that water
fittings meet one of the approved standards and they only cover a device
that has not been subjected to unauthorised modification.

Bending the arm is an accepted method of adjustment, not a
modification.

It is not one accepted by the regulations. To judge by the number of drop
arms I supply to storage cistern manufacturers, is is not one they expect to
be used either.

So is cutting a piece of copper pipe to the correct length an
unauthorised modification? After all, it was supplied in a standard
length :-)

That is a supply pipe, not a water fitting.

Colin Bignell

How much water in a copper tube? Harry Everhart Home Repair 59 April 18th 14 09:04 PM
OT - Humor - US Army Pipe Specs Lane Metalworking 1 May 23rd 05 01:28 PM
Bath Overflow Pipe dougval UK diy 3 January 4th 05 10:22 PM
Replacing downstairs bog - soil pipe problems Jon Taylor UK diy 12 April 12th 04 11:48 PM
electricity on my water pipes Laurent Doiron Home Repair 32 March 30th 04 07:01 PM