Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connections for condensing tumble drier

Hi All,

We are probably going to invest in a condensing (or maybe heat pump condensing (is it another name for the same thing??).

This is because the only space we have left in the house where we could locate a tumble drier has no outside wall, or easy way to get a conventional vent out.

The plan would be not to connect it to a drain, but to keep
Emptying the water out tank.

Am I right in thinking that used like this the only connection required is electricity in? (No other inputs and no outputs).

Or do they need anything else?

TIA

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi All,

We are probably going to invest in a condensing (or maybe heat pump
condensing (is it another name for the same thing??).

This is because the only space we have left in the house where we could
locate a tumble drier has no outside wall, or easy way to get a
conventional vent out.

The plan would be not to connect it to a drain, but to keep Emptying the
water out tank.

Am I right in thinking that used like this the only connection required is
electricity in? (No other inputs and no outputs).

Or do they need anything else?

TIA

Chris

Condensing tumble dryers don't need an air vent. They do need a little
more cleaning (to remove lint from the condenser) but IME they work
well. They don't necessarily use a heat pump (see below) but they have
a heat exchanging condenser to remove the water in the exhaust air by
cooling it with incoming air. They do need excess water emptying, but
some can be plumbed to a drain rather than using a tank which has to be
carried to the sink. Get one with intermittent drum reverse (see
below).

However, I now have a Bosch one that I believe has a heat pump. A Bosch
Ecologixx 7, WTW86562GB. This cleans its own condenser, which is good,
except there seems no easy way to check it has done it properly.

This presumably has excellent ecological credentials, because it saves
electricity by apparently making no attempt whatsoever to dry clothes.
It seems not to raise air temperature above ambient (though i suppose it
may be drier) and takes at least three hours to dry a sock. It is the
most useless expensive piece of junk I have ever purchased. It least it
keeps a basketful of clothes out of the way for a few hours, I suppose.
It also doesn't have reverse tumbling, so it irretrievably wraps up
sheets or duvet covers into a solid undriable ball. Intermittent
reversing is *essential* for a tumble drier, so it never occurred to me
that it might not do it.

There may be better choices with heat pmps, but in this machine any
electricity the heat pump saves is undoubtedly wasted by the drum motor
running for days on end to attempt any kind of passive drying.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 21:31:38 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We have the WTW86560GB (presumably the previous model or so). It's about
5 years old.

The air from the drum exits via a filter beneath the door (well, two
filters). It then passes through a matrix on bottom left, and that did
get badly choked after about 4 years or so. To clean it, you first open
the door at bottom front left. Then you use a Stanley knife to remove a
marked panel! Vacuum out the matrix, and attach a special seal plate you
get from the Bosch spares department.

We recently had another fault where it said the water sump was full, when
it wasn't. I removed the top of the sump and cleaned the sensor
electrodes. I also sucked out accumulated fluff and water. It stopped
once more (on the next run) but then seemed to recalibrate itself, and
it's been fine since.

Nothing else has needed doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks! That will no doubt save me a lot of research in the nearish
future as mine is about four.

AMI, do you find yours effective in drying clothes? Does it palpably
warm clothes? I do sometimes wonder if ours was defective from new.
It takes three hours to dry a couple of tee shirts.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It does palpably warm clothes. I generally don't use the 'completely dry'
setting.

What you describe is a symptom of the matrix being clogged (if they
haven't changed it).

No, they haven't. I just looked. I assumed you have the WTW86562GB/16,
although the suffix rarely makes a big difference. Looking at the
exploded diagram, it looks the same, and they offer the same sealing
plate as a spare (part 00646776).

Look at the bottom of this page - they call it a Repair Set (a lot of
parts have slightly badly translated names). Exploded drawings there too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but it has not deteriorated since the day it was installed. If
the matrix is blocked it is a manufacturing error rather than an
acquired blockage I did wonder about a heater or thermostat problem
which would have similar symptoms. It gets enough water in the tank and
felt in the lint filter to make an airflow blockage unobvious.

You encourage me to pursue it, I had assumed it was just eco-friendly to
the point of uselessness. Is the service manual freely available?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 23:51:17 +0100, Roger Hayter wrote:

Thanks, but it has not deteriorated since the day it was installed. If
the matrix is blocked it is a manufacturing error rather than an
acquired blockage I did wonder about a heater or thermostat problem
which would have similar symptoms. It gets enough water in the tank and
felt in the lint filter to make an airflow blockage unobvious.

Not sure, then. Only the Very Dry setting removes all dampness, though.

You encourage me to pursue it, I had assumed it was just eco-friendly to
the point of uselessness. Is the service manual freely available?

I have never seen a service manual. I winged it, with occasional help
from YouTube, although the machines are never quite the same! The
exploded diagrams help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2017 21:31, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

Hi All,

We are probably going to invest in a condensing (or maybe heat pump
condensing (is it another name for the same thing??).

This is because the only space we have left in the house where we could
locate a tumble drier has no outside wall, or easy way to get a
conventional vent out.

The plan would be not to connect it to a drain, but to keep Emptying the
water out tank.

Am I right in thinking that used like this the only connection required is
electricity in? (No other inputs and no outputs).

Or do they need anything else?

TIA

Chris

Condensing tumble dryers don't need an air vent. They do need a little
more cleaning (to remove lint from the condenser) but IME they work
well.

Yes, agreed. I've got a fairly basic Beko model and it's been very good
for the past 4 years or so - although i don't use it that often, maybe
once a week over the winter, rarely the rest of the time.

snip
[...]

FWIW, I just checked the Which reviews and they do say the Bosch
WTW863S1GB is very slow at drying. The far more expensive models (such
as the Bosch WTYH6790GB) do a lot better. They measured the fastest heat
pump dryers at 15mins/kg and slowest at 30mins/kg. Seems like yours is
well out of spec. This link is outside their paywall (hopes):

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/tumble-dryers/article/how-to-buy-the-best-tumble-dryer

I think you'll find that even though it's a bit rubbish, yours will be
much cheaper to run. From memory, mine uses 2-3kW and takes about an
hour for a full load.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I looked into this some time ago, most seem to be con jobs from what I could
tell. The only ones that truly work have a large hose thing for going
outside. I now do an extra spin and hang them in a small box room with the
window open and a low power heater on for a few hours instead. Of course not
everyone has the luxury of free space.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/17 01:57, RJH wrote:

Condensing tumble dryers don't need an air vent. They do need a little
more cleaning (to remove lint from the condenser) but IME they work
well.

Yes, agreed. I've got a fairly basic Beko model and it's been very good
for the past 4 years or so - although i don't use it that often, maybe
once a week over the winter, rarely the rest of the time.

+1

We've had a Beko for around 4 years. Never had a problem (it was
affected by a safety recall and a technician called and replaced
something), maybe because we do clean the filter! It dries well - it's
automatic sensor seems to be set correctly. The pure water in the
condenser is a bonus for watering plants.

One issue which hasn't been mentioned is that it's very noisy; you can't
really sit in the kitchen and eat while it's on for more than a few
minutes. I don't know whether this is a Beko thing or all driers are noisy.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 08:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/10/17 01:57, RJH wrote:

Condensing tumble dryers don't need an air vent.Â* They do need a little
more cleaning (to remove lint from the condenser) but IME they work
well.

Yes, agreed. I've got a fairly basic Beko model and it's been very good
for the past 4 years or so - although i don't use it that often, maybe
once a week over the winter, rarely the rest of the time.

+1

We've had a Beko for around 4 years. Never had a problem (it was
affected by a safety recall and a technician called and replaced
something), maybe because we do clean the filter! It dries well - it's
automatic sensor seems to be set correctly. The pure water in the
condenser is a bonus for watering plants.

One issue which hasn't been mentioned is that it's very noisy; you can't
really sit in the kitchen and eat while it's on for more than a few
minutes. I don't know whether this is a Beko thing or all driers are noisy.

Ah yes, agreed, forgot to mention that. Luckily I've got a cellar, so it
lives in there.

In general, in the Which reviews most seem to have a rating whereby 'you
should be able to hold a conversation near the dryer but with raised
voices' - suggesting they do make a racket.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

My washer/dryer obviously has a water supply for the washer side, but it
uses the occasional squirt of water while it's drying, not sure if
that's to clear fluff out along with the condensed water, or to cool
down the condenser and make it more efficient?

Cold water is what cools the condenser.

So does a standalone condenser dryer have a water supply tank as well as
a drain tank?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2017 14:13, Andy Burns wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

My washer/dryer obviously has a water supply for the washer side, but it
uses the occasional squirt of water while it's drying, not sure if
that's to clear fluff out along with the condensed water, or to cool
down the condenser and make it more efficient?

Cold water is what cools the condenser.

So does a standalone condenser dryer have a water supply tank as well as
a drain tank?

No, it uses cold air from the room. It also serves to warm the room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

My washer/dryer obviously has a water supply for the washer side, but it
uses the occasional squirt of water while it's drying, not sure if
that's to clear fluff out along with the condensed water, or to cool
down the condenser and make it more efficient?

Cold water is what cools the condenser.

So does a standalone condenser dryer have a water supply tank as well as
a drain tank?

Not usually. On a washer drier however, its there so you may as well
make use of it.

--
Cheers,

John.