Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lightman

Default New Simple Part P ticket - Cost £ zero (initial fee)

Dear All

I'm so angry about the stupid "nanny state" electrical regulations that
I have the following idea.

I plan to set up a new institute (perhaps I'll call it the "Institute
of Electricians" or similar)

I will accept the same City and Guilds examinations as the major bodies
(which lets face it are not difficult) and then set a 4 hour practical
test which might be at local technical college.

Alternatively I might set exams with limited scope (see below).

The important difference is it wont be a "Trade Union" designed to
raise barriers to entry (like the other institutions which are merely
trying to protect their own self interest, their members, raise prices
and enter into anti-competitive restrictive practices. (ie they don't
give a damn about electrical safety or the public).

I have no doubt that these "self interested" Trade Unions are causing
more deaths each year by causing competant tradesman (who can multitask
or who are competant in lots of trades) to leave the industry or stop
doing electrical work.

I plan to have modules of competancy mainly to cover final circuits
such as

1. Ring Mains
2. Radial Circuits
3. Lighting Circuits
4. Bathrooms (more difficult)

Therefore, if a wardrobe fitter who only needs to move sockets, they
could qualify in option 1 only.

The annual fee would be zero until the body had been accepted by the
government to self certify part P. After that it would be say £ 30
per annum A low annual fee is essential to encourage occaisonal
electricians (who are perfectly competant) to register for their
"ticket". There is no reason to have £ 400 annual fees like some of
these bodies.

Who is interested in joining at £ zero to get the ball rolling.

Anybody can join at "membership" level. After qualifying you will be
an "associate" and this would allow part P self certification.

I'm looking for 1,000 members to get the ball rolling. The government
could not ignore a body with City and Guilds qualifications and a
practical exam if it had 1000 members!!!

Please email your name to . I will
then add you as a "member" whilst I investigate matters further.

If I get a good response I will push this forward agressively.

Regards - ElectricMan

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav

Lightman wrote:
[...]

what city and guilds quals do you need to begin with? if none count me
in for limited scope, boilers stats and timers and the like
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hugo Nebula

On 22 Apr 2006 15:52:14 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named
"Lightman" randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

I plan to have modules of competancy mainly to cover final circuits
such as

1. Ring Mains
2. Radial Circuits
3. Lighting Circuits
4. Bathrooms (more difficult)

Therefore, if a wardrobe fitter who only needs to move sockets, they
could qualify in option 1 only.

He wouldn't need to make an application just to move a socket in a
bedroom.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Dave
writes
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:40:46 +0100, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:

On 22 Apr 2006 15:52:14 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named
"Lightman" randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

I plan to have modules of competancy mainly to cover final circuits
such as

1. Ring Mains
2. Radial Circuits
3. Lighting Circuits
4. Bathrooms (more difficult)

Therefore, if a wardrobe fitter who only needs to move sockets, they
could qualify in option 1 only.

He wouldn't need to make an application just to move a socket in a
bedroom.

Nice idea and prob thousands agree with your sentiment re nanny state.
Unfortunately the IEEE is not one of them. Interesting that an institute
essentially the trade union organsiation for electrics, is instrumental in
support of regs (under Prescott) which has deprived many a good craftsman his
right to earn a living. But now of course, all kitchens and bathroom will be
much safer and we'll never see a cowboy again.

Did you mean the IEE ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

Default New Simple Part P ticket - Cost ΓΊ zero (initial fee)

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:24:08 UTC, raden wrote:

Nice idea and prob thousands agree with your sentiment re nanny state.
Unfortunately the IEEE is not one of them. Interesting that an institute
essentially the trade union organsiation for electrics, is instrumental in
support of regs (under Prescott) which has deprived many a good craftsman his
right to earn a living. But now of course, all kitchens and bathroom will be
much safer and we'll never see a cowboy again.

Did you mean the IEE ?

No, he meant the IET. Please keep up.... :-)

New Boiler = Room Stat = Part 'P' & Part 'L' question (long) . UK diy 52 January 6th 06 10:13 AM
Friday Challenge - part two J. Nielsen Metalworking 7 May 25th 05 11:05 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
What lathe must I get to duplicate this fog horn part? Paul T. Metalworking 37 September 3rd 03 09:22 PM