Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Mixing Freeview and Cable TV to domestic disbn sys?

Hi All,

Once I had an TV aerial in the loft, distribution amp in the bedroom
and TV outlets in most rooms and all was well.

Then NTL came along and gave me my std terrestrial chans again (+ Ch5
FWTW) plus a few more, so removed the aerial connection and fed the
distribution amp from the cable box and all was well (and because it
was a nice analog STB we could watch any terrestrial chan or the
'Cable' chan on any set / video in the house) ;-)

Then came Freeview ..

I bought one specifically that had a modulated RF output but I now
have a dilemma re sources and outlets ...

By definition I have to take the initial *cable* feed into the STB and
from there it could go to (through) the Freeview box and that would
pass through the std terrestrial and decode the digital chans and add
it's own UHF channel from that but I assume the Freeview signal
wouldn't be present on the cable?

Both the Freeview and Cable boxes have SCART outputs which are fine
for getting either signal to the non SCART TV in the lounge (near all
the boxes) via the video player.

So, is there a (semi domestic priced) distribution amp thingy that
would say take a SCART input and 'inject' (for want of a better
description) it's own additional UHF slot into the existing system
please?

Maplin do this which I think might fit the bill:

http://tinyurl.com/ob9rr

So, to use that I assume my system would go ..

Aerial Freeview box Modulator with Cable box SCART'ED in
distribution amp house TV's ?

The Freeview box would 'add' the decoded digital chan output to the
base analog signals then the modulator would add the output of the
Cable STB to that (but I could only view the base terrestrial channels
plus the single selected Freeview chan + single Cable chan on all the
remote TV's).

But would the entire digital TV band be passed through everything for
the Freeview decoder cards in the PC's (also off the (fairly old)
distribution system)?

All the best ..

T i m (now with a headache). ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Bacon

T i m wrote:
[...]

My goodness. *Can't you find a relevant group*? Is it beyond your ken?
Apologies to anyone in u.t.d-tv, but IME you're the best.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
T i m

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:11:07 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

My goodness. *Can't you find a relevant group*? Is it beyond your ken?
Apologies to anyone in u.t.d-tv, but IME you're the best.

Thanks again for your valuable input Chris.

I was *hoping* I would have been in your killfile by now but alas ..
;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Bacon

T i m wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
My goodness. *Can't you find a relevant group*? Is it beyond your ken?
Apologies to anyone in u.t.d-tv, but IME you're the best.

Thanks again for your valuable input Chris.
I was *hoping* I would have been in your killfile by now but alas ..

Look - are you really that much of an twerp? I had thought not,
hence my cross-post to a group where you might get some reasonable
advice. Hopefully next time you ask something, about knitting,
perhaps, or hot water bottles, boots, nuclear physics or cutting-
edge surgery, or something to do with farming, you'll consider that
there are tens of thousands of newsgroups which exist for the benefit
of all. Cross-post to uk.d-i-y if the question is relevant! Great!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:37:15 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

T i m wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
My goodness. *Can't you find a relevant group*? Is it beyond your ken?
Apologies to anyone in u.t.d-tv, but IME you're the best.

Thanks again for your valuable input Chris.
I was *hoping* I would have been in your killfile by now but alas ..

Look - are you really that much of an twerp?

Probably?

I had thought not,

You are too kind Chris ;-)

hence my cross-post to a group where you might get some reasonable
advice.

I am subscribed to u.t.d-tv but a Find 'modulators' and a quick
visual scan didn't reveal anything promising. So I asked here because
I know there are several folk who know this game pretty well who might
have been able to throw another angle on my question. I wasn't asking
about satelite muxes, channel availability or receiver specs but the
more practical aplication of basic signals / principals. We have yet
to see if the posting in either group gets *us* any real answers but I
doubt your copy of my question in u.t.d-tv (with that glowing
'introduction') will yeald much (but would be happy to stand
corrected).

Hopefully next time you ask something, about knitting,
perhaps, or hot water bottles, boots, nuclear physics or cutting-
edge surgery, or something to do with farming, you'll consider that
there are tens of thousands of newsgroups which exist for the benefit
of all.

Hopefully the next time I post anywhere you will resist the temptation
to reply (moderate, again?) please Chris. Had you *just* suggested
u.t.d-tv then that would have been fine, but what did you expect with
all the other patronising stuff?

Cross-post to uk.d-i-y if the question is relevant! Great!

The reply to your (crossposted, however well meaning?) 'input' was
the first time I have knowingly cross posted anywhere.

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

T i m wrote:
[...]

I simply have added freeview boxes/TV's to the loft mounted UHF antenna
via a labgear thingie.

I did a cost benefit analysis on piping various signals round the place,
and frankly, it aint worth it, One TV, one freeview box,and share the
aerial.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:40:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

But would the entire digital TV band be passed through everything for
the Freeview decoder cards in the PC's (also off the (fairly old)
distribution system)?

All the best ..

T i m (now with a headache). ;-)

I simply have added freeview boxes/TV's to the loft mounted UHF antenna
via a labgear thingie.

I think the amp unit I have is also a Labgear. I think they have
stopped making Freeview boxes but are still doing the amp stuff?

I did a cost benefit analysis on piping various signals round the place,
and frankly, it aint worth it, One TV, one freeview box,and share the
aerial.

Well that's sorta what we are doing (except they are Freeview PC
cards) but it's getting the NTL Cable box into the loop (and possibly
the hdd/dvr) that's the issue here?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

T i m wrote:
I think the amp unit I have is also a Labgear. I think they have
stopped making Freeview boxes but are still doing the amp stuff?

Bought out by Philex ...
http://www.philexproducts.com

But still in the same game it seems
http://www.labgear.co.uk

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:40:44 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

T i m wrote:
I think the amp unit I have is also a Labgear. I think they have
stopped making Freeview boxes but are still doing the amp stuff?

Bought out by Philex ...
http://www.philexproducts.com

Interesting, cheers Adrian.

But still in the same game it seems
http://www.labgear.co.uk

Maybe they are going back to their roots?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:56:58 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I bought one specifically that had a modulated RF output but I now
have a dilemma re sources and outlets ...

Freeview boxes are dirt cheap so you don't have to limit yourself to one
channel at a time. Just have one box per set.

Spose. But it still means 'distributing' the freeview signal to all
the rooms and that's not availavle via our current primary feed, the
cable service?

You can use the modulator in your VCR to inject the cable channels. Feed the
VCR with the rf output from the freeview box.

Ah, cunning ;-)

Run your dist amp from the
video rf output. The VCR will inject the cable box via the SCART. Just make
sure the video is always selected to its SCART input.

Clever, the only restriction then is that we can't record a different
channel on the video ('she' hasn't mastered the DVR yet) can we?

If you really want the decoded freeview as well, then this setup will still
work fine. Just make sure it has a different rf output channel to the video.
Alternately, if the video has 2 SCARTs, you can plug it in there and you
won't need a freeview box with rf output,

(we have that alread so ok there)

although you could only watch
either Freeview, Cable or video at the same time, not multiples.

Hmmm, and something I was hoping to retain as 'she' often likes to
cath up on the soaps via Freeview yawn and the 15yr old likes BOX
in her room at the same time?

That has given me thought re the order of things though Christian ..

If it went .. Aerial Freeview Box Modulator for cable box
distribution amp room TV / vid / FV Cards in PC's that might work?

The Cable TV box does have a modulated RF output but no 'though'
facility so has to be the start of the chain, unless we use something
as the 'through modulator' (like the video as you suggest).

Now do we want the DVR in the chain ... ? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m