Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

Default Opinions on Central Heating Controls

Hi all

Yes I know this has been covered before, but things move on, products change
etc.

I am (hopefully) going to upgrade, or have upgraded, the central heating in
my 1970s dump.
This involves some repiping work, along with boiler, pump, zone valves and
contols/programmer replacement.

System is currently (and is likely to remain) vented "S" Plan.

From previous discussions, it is likely that the boiler will be Worcester
Bosch Greenstar 24Ri.
Honeywell zone valves
Grundfoss pump

For these and the unlisted items I would appreciate feedback on recent
models please, particularly programmer/controller and programmable room
stat.

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Yes I know this has been covered before, but things move on, products change
etc.

I am (hopefully) going to upgrade, or have upgraded, the central heating in
my 1970s dump.
This involves some repiping work, along with boiler, pump, zone valves and
contols/programmer replacement.

System is currently (and is likely to remain) vented "S" Plan.

From previous discussions, it is likely that the boiler will be Worcester
Bosch Greenstar 24Ri.
Honeywell zone valves
Grundfoss pump

For these and the unlisted items I would appreciate feedback on recent
models please, particularly programmer/controller and programmable room
stat.

Thanks in anticipation

Phil

Have you considered splitting the heating into zones with (say) a
separate timer/stat upstairs and downstairs? I did this and have been
surprised how well it works, despite having an open staircase.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message
from Dave contains these words:

Have you considered splitting the heating into zones with (say) a
separate timer/stat upstairs and downstairs? I did this and have been
surprised how well it works, despite having an open staircase.

Snap.

I put the re-zoning off for years because I thought the open staircase
would make it ineffectual.

FWIW I have a Danfoss TP75 downstairs (replacing an earlier Digistat
which itself replaced the stone age stat) and a Horstmann Centaurstat
(from Screwfix) upstairs ( which replaced an even cheaper and extremely
crappy programmable stat also from Screwfix).

The only complaint I have with the Centaurstat is that it has no holiday
setting. I got round this by inserting a switch in the call for heat
wire and rely on the downstairs heating only when I go away in winter.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster

"Roger" wrote

FWIW I have a Danfoss TP75 downstairs (replacing an earlier Digistat
which itself replaced the stone age stat) and a Horstmann Centaurstat
(from Screwfix) upstairs

Are these controllers or programmable thermostats?

Phil