Posted to uk.d-i-y
Taz

Default hanging things on garage walls

This is going to sound daft to those in the know... I have a
single-skin garage and want to put stuff up on shelves etc out of the
way. Do I need to think about any kind of low weight limit because of
the dingle course of bricks or am I just being paranoid? Not planning
to put the elephants on the shelves...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Taz" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is going to sound daft to those in the know... I have a
single-skin garage and want to put stuff up on shelves etc out of the
way. Do I need to think about any kind of low weight limit because of
the dingle course of bricks or am I just being paranoid? Not planning
to put the elephants on the shelves...

Where are you going to put the elephants?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Eric The Viking

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Taz" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is going to sound daft to those in the know... I have a
single-skin garage and want to put stuff up on shelves etc out of the
way. Do I need to think about any kind of low weight limit because of
the dingle course of bricks or am I just being paranoid? Not planning
to put the elephants on the shelves...

Where are you going to put the elephants?

Mary

Just keep them in the fridge like everyone else ;-)

ETV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Taz wrote:
This is going to sound daft to those in the know... I have a
single-skin garage and want to put stuff up on shelves etc out of the
way. Do I need to think about any kind of low weight limit because of
the dingle course of bricks or am I just being paranoid? Not planning
to put the elephants on the shelves...

what's a dingle course ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 21:06:44 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Taz" wrote in message
roups.com...
This is going to sound daft to those in the know... I have a
single-skin garage and want to put stuff up on shelves etc out of the
way. Do I need to think about any kind of low weight limit because of
the dingle course of bricks or am I just being paranoid? Not planning
to put the elephants on the shelves...

Where are you going to put the elephants?

In the trunk.
Mary

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Mike Halmarack ... wrote:

Where are you going to put the elephants?

In the trunk.

Now, *that's* recursive!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 22:24:20 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Mike Halmarack ... wrote:

Where are you going to put the elephants?

In the trunk.

Now, *that's* recursive!

Well, they certainly won't thank you for it.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Eric The Viking

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Mike Halmarack ... wrote:

Where are you going to put the elephants?

In the trunk.

Now, *that's* recursive!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Hehe, that's actually a good example :-)

ETV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound

To try and be helpful, normal sorts of loads (ordinary toolboxs, cans of
paint up to 5 litres) should be OK on single skin (are you talking blocks or
bricks?) but if you want heavy (like, hard to lift up) stuff on 12 inch
shelves I would be looking at floor standing shelves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Taz

Ah-ha - a useful one! The walls are brick - should that make any
difference?

And by the way, the elephants are stored in the shed at the bottom of
the garden. Not that there's much top or middle left...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Taz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ah-ha - a useful one! The walls are brick - should that make any
difference?

And by the way, the elephants are stored in the shed at the bottom of
the garden.

Not on shelves?

Not that there's much top or middle left...

sigh

That's the trouble with sheds, they breed.

Now, to answer your question and avoid upsetting any sensitive soul who
might be peeking, floor standing shelves are probably the best solution but
you could consider the long vertical metal strips which attach to walls and
spread the load of shelf brackets which acn be fixed at intervals to suit
your needs. Floor space is usually at a premium after all, which is why we
need shelves.

Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter how
many shelves he has :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

.. wrote:
Taz wrote:

This is going to sound daft to those in the know... I have a
single-skin garage and want to put stuff up on shelves etc out of the
way. Do I need to think about any kind of low weight limit because of
the dingle course of bricks or am I just being paranoid? Not planning
to put the elephants on the shelves...

what's a dingle course ?

where you learn to dangle?

--
David Clark
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:14:48 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Now, to answer your question and avoid upsetting any sensitive soul who
might be peeking, floor standing shelves are probably the best solution but
you could consider the long vertical metal strips which attach to walls and
spread the load of shelf brackets which acn be fixed at intervals to suit
your needs.

To expand on that 'girly' description a little, probably the 'best'
stuff was 'Spur shelving' but you can get a cheaper / lighter version
called 'Element 32'.

http://rbuk.phewdesign.com/Default.asp?Page=185

As with Spur you get slotted uprights you screw to the wall then the
pressed steel brackets (various lengths) then 'drop' into the slots.

If you look about you should be able to buy the stuff at a shop fitter
/ trade supplier *much* cheaper than the sheds. It's still not *cheap*
though but has the following advantages over many alternatives.

1) It's pretty easy to put up (drill some holes, plug, screw, done)
2) The uprights spread the load over a large area (as Mary mentioned).
Handy if you don't get a good fixing at every location.
3) Are very flexible re bracket length shelf depth and position.
4) You can take them down / move them about etc
5) You can easily take them with you when you move ;-)

When I built my 10' x 20' x 8(h)' garage / workshop I lined the inside
with 12mm WBP ply and then fitted the above system floor to eves
around all 3 walls. This means I can put a shelf / bracket pretty well
anywhere ;-)

Floor space is usually at a premium after all, which is why we
need shelves.

Indeed ;-)

Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter how
many shelves he has :-(

Ah, that's because we want to look after our stuff and if it's on the
floor it can't fall down and break! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 09:14:48 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Now, to answer your question and avoid upsetting any sensitive soul who
might be peeking, floor standing shelves are probably the best solution
but
you could consider the long vertical metal strips which attach to walls
and
spread the load of shelf brackets which can be fixed at intervals to suit
your needs.

To expand on that 'girly' description a little,

It was intended to be clear to someone who might not know the terminology.
It obviously was successful - as most girly things tend to be :-)

1) It's pretty easy to put up (drill some holes, plug, screw, done)
2) The uprights spread the load over a large area (as Mary mentioned).
Handy if you don't get a good fixing at every location.
3) Are very flexible re bracket length shelf depth and position.
4) You can take them down / move them about etc
5) You can easily take them with you when you move ;-)

And you can use more than two for each rack of shelves - that can be very
useful when accommodating elephants.

When I built my 10' x 20' x 8(h)' garage / workshop I lined the inside
with 12mm WBP ply and then fitted the above system floor to eves
around all 3 walls. This means I can put a shelf / bracket pretty well
anywhere ;-)

Floor space is usually at a premium after all, which is why we
need shelves.

Indeed ;-)

Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter how
many shelves he has :-(

Ah, that's because we want to look after our stuff and if it's on the
floor it can't fall down and break! ;-)

No, he says it's because he knows where it is and it's to hand.

My (serious) concern is that it is an obstruction if he needs to get out
quickly. Goodness knows what H&S would say :-(

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:53:25 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

To expand on that 'girly' description a little,

It was intended to be clear to someone who might not know the terminology.
It obviously was successful - as most girly things tend to be :-)

Hmmm ..

1) It's pretty easy to put up (drill some holes, plug, screw, done)
2) The uprights spread the load over a large area (as Mary mentioned).
Handy if you don't get a good fixing at every location.
3) Are very flexible re bracket length shelf depth and position.
4) You can take them down / move them about etc
5) You can easily take them with you when you move ;-)

And you can use more than two for each rack of shelves -

Unless the shelf is only about 500mm long (and assuming it's made of
conventional materials) you *should* use more than two for each shelf.

that can be very
useful when accommodating elephants.

I thought we agreed the elephants stay in the fridge (where they
belong). As if anyone would keep them in the garage rolls eyes.

Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter how
many shelves he has :-(

Ah, that's because we want to look after our stuff and if it's on the
floor it can't fall down and break! ;-)

No, he says it's because he knows where it is and it's to hand.

My (serious) concern is that it is an obstruction if he needs to get out
quickly.

Knowing you as I do there's only one reason he would want to get out
quickly ...

Goodness knows what H&S would say :-(

*You* would get a stern telling off for creating the risk situation
(the stuff and spouse were quite happy where they were at the time
after all)?

All the best .. ;-)

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message

And you can use more than two for each rack of shelves -

Unless the shelf is only about 500mm long (and assuming it's made of
conventional materials) you *should* use more than two for each shelf.

That needed to be said.

that can be very
useful when accommodating elephants.

I thought we agreed the elephants stay in the fridge (where they
belong). As if anyone would keep them in the garage rolls eyes.

Sorry head hanging

Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter how
many shelves he has :-(

My (serious) concern is that it is an obstruction if he needs to get out
quickly.

Knowing you as I do there's only one reason he would want to get out
quickly ...

SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Goodness knows what H&S would say :-(

*You* would get a stern telling off for creating the risk situation
(the stuff and spouse were quite happy where they were at the time
after all)?

But I can make him even happier :-)

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:09:02 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter how
many shelves he has :-(

Perhaps some brightly coloured plastic tubs would encourage him to put his
toys away at bedtime :-)

Hold me back, someone... T i m ?????????

Nah, you go for it girl .. watches Mary chase Owain round her garden
till he falls into the bear pit / longdrop ;-)

hehe

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:09:02 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
.. .
Mary Fisher wrote:
Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter
how
many shelves he has :-(

Perhaps some brightly coloured plastic tubs would encourage him to put
his
toys away at bedtime :-)

Hold me back, someone... T i m ?????????

Nah, you go for it girl .. watches Mary chase Owain round her garden
till he falls into the bear pit / longdrop ;-)

hehe

No - you didn't understand :-)

Mary

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:27:49 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:09:02 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
. ..
Mary Fisher wrote:
Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter
how
many shelves he has :-(

Perhaps some brightly coloured plastic tubs would encourage him to put
his
toys away at bedtime :-)

Hold me back, someone... T i m ?????????

Nah, you go for it girl .. watches Mary chase Owain round her garden
till he falls into the bear pit / longdrop ;-)

hehe

No - you didn't understand :-)

Back to girly terms again then .. ;-(

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:27:49 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:09:02 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
.. .
Mary Fisher wrote:
Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter
how
many shelves he has :-(

Perhaps some brightly coloured plastic tubs would encourage him to put
his
toys away at bedtime :-)

Hold me back, someone... T i m ?????????

Nah, you go for it girl .. watches Mary chase Owain round her garden
till he falls into the bear pit / longdrop ;-)

hehe

No - you didn't understand :-)

Back to girly terms again then .. ;-(

I didn't mention putting away toys at bedtime.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Spouse's stuff always seems to end up on the floor though, no matter
how many shelves he has :-(
Perhaps some brightly coloured plastic tubs would encourage him to
put
his toys away at bedtime :-)
Hold me back, someone... T i m ?????????
Nah, you go for it girl .. watches Mary chase Owain round her garden
till he falls into the bear pit / longdrop ;-)
hehe
No - you didn't understand :-)
Back to girly terms again then .. ;-(

I didn't mention putting away toys at bedtime.

I only mentioned it as a probably more workable solution than a play-pen.
But if you think a play-pen to contain the mess would be better, go for
it.

LOL!

My interpretation of bedtime toys isn't the same as others, apparently :-)

MAry

Owain

hanging things on siding z Home Repair 4 April 4th 06 08:58 PM
Hanging pictures on old plaster walls... blueman Home Repair 7 May 29th 05 04:28 AM
How to build floor in garage attic? DK Home Repair 12 May 15th 05 02:58 PM
Semi-OT - adding circuits to a finished garage patrick conroy Woodworking 6 September 13th 04 07:10 PM
Building a garage above public sewer (UK) Capitol UK diy 3 July 16th 03 12:43 AM