Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tournifreak

Default Washing machine stuck mid-cycle

All - can anyone give me any advice?

Hoover AL130 washing machine about 4 years old. This is what it does
(from empty):
Fills OK
Turns backwards and forwards as expected
Keeps on turning back and forth ad infinitum.
If you set it to a spin cycle, it spins OK as long as the drum is
empty..

It has a manual rotary controller which doesn't move from the position
you set it to.

It doesn't seem to be even attempting to empty, so I suspect it's not
the pump. It doesn't seem to get that far.

The problem occurs the same regardless of the temperature the machine
is set to, so I don't _think_ the problem is with the heater element.

Does it sound like the controller that's gone wrong? Or something on
the control PCB? Or could this be a symptom of anything else? Is it
worth trying to take the controller apart and service it, or should I
just buy a a new one (they're quite expensive)?

In an electronic engineer so I'm happy testing, taking things apart
etc. I just don't know much about how these things work.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Tournifreak wrote:
All - can anyone give me any advice?

Hoover AL130 washing machine about 4 years old. This is what it does
(from empty):

snip

It may be as simple as grunge round the dial.
That was what had stopped my Zanussi.
The dial simply couldn't move easily, and it had stalled the motors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Ian Stirling wrote:
Tournifreak wrote:

All - can anyone give me any advice?

Hoover AL130 washing machine about 4 years old. This is what it does
(from empty):

snip

It may be as simple as grunge round the dial.
That was what had stopped my Zanussi.
The dial simply couldn't move easily, and it had stalled the motors.

My ancient Philips circa 1987 had a similar problem but it stopped half
way through the cycle. It was designed to be very easy to get the
rotary switch unit out on its long cable bunch if the washer top plate
is removed. AIR I took it all out, tested it loose in mid air, found
nothing wrong, sprayed with WD40, replaced it and its worked for a few
more years.
So if the Hoover swiches are not rotating at all it sounds like the
little induction motor has failed.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y
john2

Thanks for the suggestions. A quick update: The controller is just a
rotary encoder with a syncro-motor attached. I took out the
syncro-motor and tested it seperately - it works OK. I also cleaned all
the contacts on the encoder. Still the same problem. I took the pcb out
and resoldered any dodgy-looking joints (why is it that domestic
appliances have *such* bad soldering on their PCBs? I work in
electronics and I would never allow a product to ship that has such bad
joints. Do they just use the cheapest board-population company they can
find or what?)
Anyway, still no luck so I've ordered a new Bosch machine in case I
can't get this one working soon. If I can fix it, I'll cancel the
order. And I'll never buy a Hoover - anything - again. (If you read the
google archives, you'll find this is not the first time this machine
has broken down!)

Off to hit it with a big stick now... a -la Basil Fawlty!

Jon.

Mine also has a small solenoid which I think has something to do with
setting the time spent in each wash function. Might be worth checking.
It looks like a small DC model motor with a 3mm shaft, but it actually
slides axially. I never understood it all !.

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tournifreak wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. A quick update: The controller is just a
rotary encoder with a syncro-motor attached. I took out the
syncro-motor and tested it seperately - it works OK. I also cleaned all
the contacts on the encoder. Still the same problem.

ok the power to the sync motor goes through switch contacts on teh
controller, and is routed at times through the temp sensor. So an open
circuit controller switch or oc temp sensor can stop the thing moving.

I took the pcb out
and resoldered any dodgy-looking joints (why is it that domestic
appliances have *such* bad soldering on their PCBs? I work in
electronics and I would never allow a product to ship that has such bad
joints. Do they just use the cheapest board-population company they can
find or what?)

yup

Anyway, still no luck so I've ordered a new Bosch machine in case I
can't get this one working soon. If I can fix it, I'll cancel the
order. And I'll never buy a Hoover - anything - again. (If you read the
google archives, you'll find this is not the first time this machine
has broken down!)

If you get a copy of the circuit diagram you should be able to trace it
thru no problem and see where the power is o/c. Its all basic
electromechanical control.

I'd check for L and N to motor to see which ones missing, check the
water is heating, as programmer wont advance if the element is o/c and
the water doesnt heat, and check the temp sensor isnt oc when the
waters heated.

If I were really pressed for time and just needed it working quickly I
might wire round it, giving time to get a cct diag.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison

On 13 Apr 2006 02:12:28 -0700, in uk.d-i-y "Tournifreak"
wrote:

[...]

Read Ian Tilley's Washing Machine FAQ, especially the paragraph headed
"Why is my washer sticking mid-cycle?"
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/...achine_faq.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tournifreak

wrote:

[...]

Thanks - I did actually, but none of the suggestions there fixed the
problem. The machine in question is now sat in bits, rotting in the
driveway. (And a few bits will soon be on ebay). New machine (a Bosch)
was delivered today so clean clothes at last - hurahh!

Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tournifreak wrote:
Phil Addison wrote:

Read Ian Tilley's Washing Machine FAQ, especially the paragraph headed
"Why is my washer sticking mid-cycle?"
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/electrical/...achine_faq.htm

Thanks - I did actually, but none of the suggestions there fixed the
problem. The machine in question is now sat in bits, rotting in the
driveway. (And a few bits will soon be on ebay). New machine (a Bosch)
was delivered today so clean clothes at last - hurahh!

Jon.

Good, end of the mid-cycle crisis!

NT

kmskuba sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 28th 06 03:28 PM
Washing machine drain backs up! Horatio Hornblower Home Repair 20 February 24th 04 01:56 AM
Kenmore Washing Machine Question BrianEWilliams Home Repair 4 January 26th 04 07:22 AM