Extending Driveway

Old April 10th 06, 10:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extending Driveway

I'm extending my driveway to gain a couple of additional parking spaces but
need some clarification on bed thicknesses etc. The current drive is crazy
paved but the 5m x 5m extension is just going to be concrete (at least for
the immediate future) It's only going to be used for parking a Spitfire or
Yaris, both light cars so questions are

1. Do I really need to put down a hardcore layer

2. If I do what depth does it need to be

3. What depth concrete do I need and what mix

I have has a look at Cormaic's site, but as this is going to be a very
lightly used area of drive I thought something a little less industrial
might be adequate ?

Thanks

Jim

Old April 10th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
I'm extending my driveway to gain a couple of additional parking
spaces but need some clarification on bed thicknesses etc. The
current drive is crazy paved but the 5m x 5m extension is just going
to be concrete (at least for the immediate future) It's only going to
be used for parking a Spitfire or Yaris, both light cars so questions
are
1. Do I really need to put down a hardcore layer

There is no answer to this unless it is known what is there now, loose soil
then yes, turf then no (although the turf will have to be removed)

2. If I do what depth does it need to be

How long is it expected to be there for? - three inches will last for a
decade or two without breaking up.

3. What depth concrete do I need and what mix

4 stone
2 sand
1 cement

Will hold up the houses of parliament.

I have has a look at Cormaic's site, but as this is going to be a very
lightly used area of drive I thought something a little less
industrial might be adequate ?

Thanks

For a 5m by 5m patch, I would order two cubic metres of ready mixed and put
it about 3 inches thick, it will last 20 years+

Old April 11th 06, 08:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.pavingexpert.com/subbase.htm might help.

Driveway drainage Mark UK diy 8 August 2nd 05 01:31 AM
Driveway Drainage Problem HerHusband Home Repair 5 June 1st 05 07:33 PM
thawing an iced up driveway? Hamilton Audio Home Repair 12 January 12th 05 03:21 PM
help, concrete driveway rising up lucy Home Repair 6 November 16th 03 11:32 AM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 09:14 AM