Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrence Zarb

Default MDF window sills

What is the best most secure way to fix an mdf window sill to a breeze
block wall?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 11:22:01 +0000 (UTC), "Lawrence Zarb"
wrote:

What is the best most secure way to fix an mdf window sill to a breeze
block wall?

No More Nails or equivalent if you never want to remove it without
damaging it.

Otherwise drill and counterbore, and make plugs from a piece of MDF.
Screw the the cill to the wall and then fit plugs and sand over the
top. These can be drilled out to gain access to the screws if you
ever want to remove the cill.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

wrote:

What is the best most secure way to fix an mdf window sill to a breeze
block wall?

Cills usually go outside, window boards go inside.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What is the best most secure way to fix an mdf window sill to a breeze
block wall?

Cills usually go outside, window boards go inside.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

In either case MDF is unsuitable as it is very prone to damp and will
expand, bend etc

cheers

Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sunshine Sid

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:6a284b2dd773d0a3b7a3fdd91740cc61.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...
What is the best most secure way to fix an mdf window sill to a breeze
block wall?

L shaped steel straps screwed to the underside of the board and then screwed
to the wall work well. The straps are then hidden by the wall finish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
What is the best most secure way to fix an mdf window sill to a breeze
block wall?

MDF sills should be avoided. I know from experience that the surface
degrades too quickly in real world use to be a product of any serious
quality.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:19:49 +0100, Mike Halmarack ... wrote:

I hope you're wrong. I have great hopes of putting a newly painted
corner unit made from MDF into my bathroom. I'm counting on several
coats of paint to protect it from moisture.

It will last as long as the paint remains impermeable. Then it will turn
into cheese. You can certainly do this, but I'd be wary of it.

A much better material is Valchromat - MDF with extra resin content,
making it both water-resistant and also pre-coloured.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/furniture/cabinets/swarf/

I'd be amazed if an MDF outdoor sill lasted more than a winter or two.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrence Zarb

Just for everybodies reference

The "sill" or window boards will be on the inside not outside..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Lawrence Zarb wrote:
What is the best most secure way to fix an mdf window sill to a breeze
block wall?

MDF sills should be avoided. I know from experience that the surface
degrades too quickly in real world use to be a product of any serious
quality.

NT

If you get a new build, the skirting, architraves and window boards
will all be MDF.
I suspect they are durable enough if painted properly.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message
from Mike Halmarack ... contains these words:

What is the best most secure way to fix an mdf window sill to a breeze
block wall?

Cills usually go outside, window boards go inside.

Not to most people, nor my dictionary for that matter.

[Collins]

Cill - variant spelling used in the building industry for sill (senses 1 - 4)

Sill - 1. a shelf at the bottom of a window inside a room

No entry for window board

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Just for everybodies reference

The "sill" or window boards will be on the inside not outside..

Just for everybodies (sic) reference, it's cill. LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
. wrote:
Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Just for everybodies reference

The "sill" or window boards will be on the inside not outside..

Just for everybodies (sic) reference, it's cill. LOL

Sill comes from Old English syll, which in turn derives from the
proto-Germanic/Indo-European words suljo/swel meaning beam. You find it as
sulle, sille, svill, &c in various early Germanic languages. Never as cill -
except that the OED allows cill as an occasionally used variant of sill.
Occasionally by people who spell it wrong? ;-)

For everybody's reference. It's sill (or cill - but preferably sill). And it
doesn't mean inside or outside - but either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:40:57 GMT, "Cicero"
wrote:

I think you're safe with MDF. Wickes and other such places sell ready-made
window boards - 1" with bull nose and ready primed. They must have faith in
their product.

Exterior-grade MDF has been available for a quite a while - at least
fifteen years. I remember when it was first introduced, my Dad (who
works in the timber industry) had an un-painted/un-varnished piece which
he left out in the back garden for a couple of years by way of a test
and it suffered no ill effects, other than attracting a bit of surface
moss/mould.

I don't know what it's bonded with to make it weatherproof - probably
some variety of nasty chemical or other!
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:22:06 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article ,
. wrote:
Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Just for everybodies reference

The "sill" or window boards will be on the inside not outside..

Just for everybodies (sic) reference, it's cill. LOL

Sill comes from Old English syll, which in turn derives from the
proto-Germanic/Indo-European words suljo/swel meaning beam. You find it as
sulle, sille, svill, &c in various early Germanic languages. Never as cill -
except that the OED allows cill as an occasionally used variant of sill.
Occasionally by people who spell it wrong? ;-)

For everybody's reference. It's sill (or cill - but preferably sill). And it
doesn't mean inside or outside - but either.

So, of all the developments and variations in meaning and spelling
throughout the ages, those used currently in the building industry are
the ones disqualified from use by you?
Sounds very John Cartmell to me. :-)
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

John Cartmell wrote:

Sill comes from Old English syll, which in turn derives from the
proto-Germanic/Indo-European words suljo/swel meaning beam. You find it as
sulle, sille, svill, &c in various early Germanic languages. Never as cill -
except that the OED allows cill as an occasionally used variant of sill.
Occasionally by people who spell it wrong? ;-)

For everybody's reference. It's sill (or cill - but preferably sill). And it
doesn't mean inside or outside - but either.

Sill or cill is a supporting rail as in the bottom rail of a window or
door (threshold). It's also the name of the base beam on which timber
framed houses are built.

But most people also use the term erroneously to refer to the board
that closes the bottm of the window opening internally.

It would be more correctto refer to the outside lip if the window is of
the type that has one as a sill is also a ledge in geology. (Or a seam
with that tendency, I think.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

wrote:

In article , . wrote:
Lawrence Zarb wrote:
Just for everybodies reference

The "sill" or window boards will be on the inside not outside..

Just for everybodies (sic) reference, it's cill. LOL

Sill comes from Old English syll, which in turn derives from the
proto-Germanic/Indo-European words suljo/swel meaning beam. You find it as
sulle, sille, svill, &c in various early Germanic languages. Never as cill
- except that the OED allows cill as an occasionally used variant of sill.
Occasionally by people who spell it wrong? ;-)

For everybody's reference. It's sill (or cill - but preferably sill). And
it doesn't mean inside or outside - but either.

So, of all the developments and variations in meaning and spelling
throughout the ages, those used currently in the building industry are the
ones disqualified from use by you?

The English word for a piece of wood (or similar) at the base of a window or
door is 'sill'. If there is a technical* word 'cill' that has a different
meaning (but same sound) and still relating to material at the base of a
window then I'd question the sanity of whoever coined that word. A simpler
explanation is that some builders cannot spell.

*I'm assuming that the (putative) technical word was coined within the last
1500 years. I'm open to more persuasive explanations. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
George Tingsley

Google shows 75,000 hits for window cill and 4.970,000 for window sill
which shows most people understand no matter how its spelt unless you
are Alan Argument

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article . com,
George Tingsley wrote:
Google shows 75,000 hits for window cill and 4.970,000 for window sill
which shows most people understand no matter how its spelt unless you
are Alan Argument

It's not clear who you are responding to as you aren't using the quoting
capabilities of Usenet. If it's me then you should have noticed that I was
responding to:
"Just for everybodies (sic) reference, it's cill. LOL"

As 'cill' is either a misspelling of 'sill', a long established alternative
spelling (but without evidence, or a word for something different.

I see an alternative possibility:

Houseowner: ...and the new window will want a sill of course.
Builder's contract: including a cill
Houseowner: But where is the stout beam that you agreed to provide? What is
holding the window up?
Builder: We promised no beam.
Houseowner: What about the sill?
Builder: A cill is a tatty piece of wood that we stick on the outside of the
window frame. Don't know why we bother. There's no beam there.
Houseowner: So what's holding the window up?
Builder: God knows. Just don't clean the window too vigorously.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

The message .com
from "Weatherlawyer" contains these words:

Sill or cill is a supporting rail as in the bottom rail of a window or
door (threshold). It's also the name of the base beam on which timber
framed houses are built.

Yes.

But most people also use the term erroneously to refer to the board
that closes the bottm of the window opening internally.

No. That is a perfectly proper and well established use of the word.

It would be more correctto refer to the outside lip if the window is of
the type that has one as a sill is also a ledge in geology. (Or a seam
with that tendency, I think.)

Sill has a number of distinct meanings two of which are the outside
window ledge and a horizontal igneous intrusion but they do not
disqualify the other legitimate uses of the word.

--
Roger Chapman

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 02:06 PM
Question about window sills J. Cameron Davis Home Repair 3 May 7th 05 12:59 PM
Window sills: Prime, Paint Caulk or Prime Caulk Paint? Alan Smithee Home Repair 4 April 18th 05 05:03 PM
Best material for window sills? mark UK diy 24 January 23rd 05 02:06 AM
Tiled Window Sills mlv UK diy 6 November 4th 04 08:53 AM