Junior Member

Location: Lymington Hampshire
Default Base For Greenhouse To Sit On

Sorry caps lock on. What would be the best base for a 6X4 lean to greenhouse I have a choice of either 4X4 wooden fence posts or paving slabs. Which would be best or would anyone recommend something else?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Owain wrote:
Alec wrote:
Sorry caps lock on. What would be the best base for a 6X4 lean to
greenhouse I have a choice of either 4X4 wooden fence posts or paving
slabs. Which would be best or would anyone recommend something else?

Dig trench. Pour concrete.

Owain

For a 6 ft by 4 ft greenhouse? - it may only be there for a few years, my
advice to the OP would be to put it on flags, the chances are you'll either
get bored of gardening and get rid of it, or get really into it and find
that you want a full sized (12ft by 8ft) GH standing alone away from the
house for better light, in which case it's not going to stay around for very
long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

In message , Phil L
writes
Owain wrote:
Alec wrote:
Sorry caps lock on. What would be the best base for a 6X4 lean to
greenhouse I have a choice of either 4X4 wooden fence posts or paving
slabs. Which would be best or would anyone recommend something else?

Dig trench. Pour concrete.

For a 6 ft by 4 ft greenhouse? - it may only be there for a few years, my
advice to the OP would be to put it on flags, the chances are you'll either
get bored of gardening and get rid of it, or get really into it and find
that you want a full sized (12ft by 8ft) GH

That small ?:-)

standing alone away from the
house for better light, in which case it's not going to stay around for very
long.

Yeah it will, he'd just get another GH, can never have too many
Greenhouses :-) And lean to one have benefits for propagating in later
winter early spring - the house wall tends to help keep the temp up a
bit, and if you are insulating /heating it then is less glass for heat
loss. And being by the house tend to be very handy for popping in.

Of your suggestions Alec, I'd go with the slabs, or with Owain's
concrete slab. I also suggest considering putting down a couple of
course of brick, or a course of concrete blocks to put the GH frame on.
the height of GH is often quite low and a bit of extra head room is
often useful.- for humans and for plants.

I wouldn't bother about soil beds in such a small greenhouse, it just
makes using the space flexibly harder, just put stuff like toms etc. in
growbags/pots.

If you search old uk.rec.gardening posts via Googlegroups for this topic
you'll find plenty of discussion on it.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Alec wrote:
Sorry caps lock on. What would be the best base for a 6X4 lean to
greenhouse I have a choice of either 4X4 wooden fence posts or paving
slabs. Which would be best or would anyone recommend something else?

Slabs is my choice.

When I get round tuit, I am going to use concrete bocks for mine..simply
to allow something hard at ground level to cut the grass too..tends to
break the glass if its not raised above rotary mower/strimmer stone
chucking height.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Martin

in 519805 20060409 123716 The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Alec wrote:
Sorry caps lock on. What would be the best base for a 6X4 lean to
greenhouse I have a choice of either 4X4 wooden fence posts or paving
slabs. Which would be best or would anyone recommend something else?

Slabs is my choice.

I installed an 8x6 gh from B&Q and instructions called for 3 courses of bricks
on 18x18 slabs.