Posted to uk.d-i-y
ronnie

Default Driveway

Am just about to move to a new house. The driveway is 4 metres wide and
aprox 100 metres long. It slopes up to the house and is covered in
granite chips. The problem is the rutting caused by vehicles driving up
the slope to the house. This starts off as a small indentation then
builds quickly to 'ditch'. I need a surface that will not move under
load. The obvious solution is monoblock but this is not in sympathy
with the building. I was thinking of tarmac or concrete. Any other
thoughts?. Will I run into problems with Scottish Water with the rain
runoff. Any advice???

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Best resource on the web for advice http://www.pavingexpert.com/

The problem is the rutting caused by vehicles driving
up the slope to the house. This starts off as a small indentation then
builds quickly to 'ditch'. I need a surface that will not move under
load.

Properly laid gravel drives don't move under load. Mine certainly doesn't
move at all. I suspect that they have just dumped 10mm gravel down as a
quick & cheap surface without a proper sub base..

The obvious solution is monoblock but this is not in sympathy
with the building. I was thinking of tarmac or concrete. Any other
thoughts?. Will I run into problems with Scottish Water with the rain
runoff. Any advice???

Block, tarmac or concrete on a 400 sq/mtr drive will cost an arm and several
legs. Properly laid gravel about half the price of blocks. No drainage
problems with gravel.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

ronnie wrote:
Am just about to move to a new house. The driveway is 4 metres wide
and aprox 100 metres long. It slopes up to the house and is covered in
granite chips. The problem is the rutting caused by vehicles driving
up the slope to the house. This starts off as a small indentation then
builds quickly to 'ditch'. I need a surface that will not move under
load. The obvious solution is monoblock but this is not in sympathy
with the building. I was thinking of tarmac or concrete. Any other
thoughts?. Will I run into problems with Scottish Water with the rain
runoff. Any advice???

It's done in granite chips because of the costs of doing it in other
materials.
I install block paving or paving slabbed drives and the cost is
approximately £40 per sq metre, you have 400 of these making it £16,000, and
that's for bog standard materials (plain grey flags or brindle block paving)
Concrete looks revolting (even the imprinted stuff after a few years when
it's cracked up / been excavated / bleached in the sun)
Tarmac may be your best bet but expect to pay about 9 grand if you want it
doing properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Phil L wrote:

It's done in granite chips because of the costs of doing it in other
materials.

Probably about right, just dump gravel at about £20 a ton.

I install block paving or paving slabbed drives and the cost is
approximately £40 per sq metre, you have 400 of these making it
£16,000, and that's for bog standard materials (plain grey flags or
brindle block paving)

Properly laid gravel on a 100mm sub base is around £27 per square metre, so
by comparison around £10,000.

Tarmac may be your best bet but expect to pay about 9 grand if you
want it doing properly.

Paving expert reckons £35 sq/m for tarmac, so thats more like £14K

As it happens Sir, I have some tarmac left over from a job just around the
corner, I can do you a good price begorrah!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

ronnie wrote:
Am just about to move to a new house. The driveway is 4 metres wide and
aprox 100 metres long. It slopes up to the house and is covered in
granite chips. The problem is the rutting caused by vehicles driving up
the slope to the house. This starts off as a small indentation then
builds quickly to 'ditch'. I need a surface that will not move under
load. The obvious solution is monoblock but this is not in sympathy
with the building. I was thinking of tarmac or concrete. Any other
thoughts?. Will I run into problems with Scottish Water with the rain
runoff. Any advice???

If you continue to rake, eventually the chips will bed down..but I have
to say that tarmac-ing the chips is most appealing...if only it were
cheaper...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article . com
ronnie wrote:
Am just about to move to a new house. The driveway is 4 metres wide and
aprox 100 metres long. It slopes up to the house and is covered in
granite chips. The problem is the rutting caused by vehicles driving up
the slope to the house. This starts off as a small indentation then
builds quickly to 'ditch'. I need a surface that will not move under
load. The obvious solution is monoblock but this is not in sympathy
with the building. I was thinking of tarmac or concrete. Any other
thoughts?. Will I run into problems with Scottish Water with the rain
runoff. Any advice???

A few truck loads of limestone chippings and a big vibra-roller?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ronnie

Thanks everyone for your input. This is the first time I have asked a
question and am delighted with the yime and effort you have given

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

ronnie wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input. This is the first time I have asked a
question and am delighted with the yime and effort you have given

We sometimes like to lull newcomers into a false sense of security

:-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Rob Morley wrote:

A few truck loads of limestone chippings and a big vibra-roller?

I was thinking of dumping limestone chips on my driveway but I'd
like it to stay there. At present I have scoria which has bedded
down nicely, but I'd like something that looks a bit better.
The guy along the road has large limestone chips that shift
around a lot. Perhaps if there was a variety of sizes of chip it
might bed down better. I assume that throwing in some cement
would be a bad thing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Nick wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

A few truck loads of limestone chippings and a big vibra-roller?

I was thinking of dumping limestone chips on my driveway but I'd like it
to stay there. At present I have scoria which has bedded down nicely,
but I'd like something that looks a bit better.
The guy along the road has large limestone chips that shift around a
lot. Perhaps if there was a variety of sizes of chip it might bed down
better. I assume that throwing in some cement would be a bad thing?

Limestone doesn't shift around at all.

Not after a few 30 tonners have been over it.

It ends up like a section of the chalk downs, all smashed into a lovely
porous, but stable layer.

Trouble is, it doesn't in the end look very good, grass grows, and it
eventually wears out.

But for light use, its the bees knees.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:51:20 +1200, Nick wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

A few truck loads of limestone chippings and a big vibra-roller?

I was thinking of dumping limestone chips on my driveway but I'd
like it to stay there. At present I have scoria which has bedded
down nicely, but I'd like something that looks a bit better.
The guy along the road has large limestone chips that shift
around a lot. Perhaps if there was a variety of sizes of chip it
might bed down better. I assume that throwing in some cement
would be a bad thing?

Slate chips move less.

You can buy direct from the quarry, about zero cost if you collect, or
transport cost (in 20 tonners) for delivery. 200 quid for 20 tonnes
where I am.

If memory serves right its Tarmac that run the quarry.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Rob Morley wrote:

A few truck loads of limestone chippings and a big vibra-roller?

I was thinking of dumping limestone chips on my driveway but I'd
like it to stay there. At present I have scoria which has bedded
down nicely, but I'd like something that looks a bit better.
The guy along the road has large limestone chips that shift
around a lot. Perhaps if there was a variety of sizes of chip it
might bed down better. I assume that throwing in some cement
would be a bad thing?

Slate chips move less.

You can buy direct from the quarry, about zero cost if you collect, or
transport cost (in 20 tonners) for delivery. 200 quid for 20 tonnes
where I am.

If memory serves right its Tarmac that run the quarry.

I like the white colour of limestone, and there's plenty of that
around here, while I don't see any slate chip suppliers.
A tonne of slate chips might cost a bit to deliver from the UK to
NZ

Driveway drainage Mark UK diy 8 August 2nd 05 01:31 AM
Driveway Drainage Problem HerHusband Home Repair 5 June 1st 05 07:33 PM
thawing an iced up driveway? Hamilton Audio Home Repair 12 January 12th 05 03:21 PM
help, concrete driveway rising up lucy Home Repair 6 November 16th 03 11:32 AM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 09:14 AM