Junior Member

Question Convert 230v to 110v

Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the drill would become 110v?

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Default Convert 230v to 110v

brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Yes, you can, but the 230V drill will become a 110V firecracker.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Conway

brendonavoo69 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

I don't know - why don't you try it and let us know how you get on?

PS. Don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Only if you like the smell of melting plastic!

You need one of these:

Or if it is a really big drill:

Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brendonavoo69 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Would connecting it to a PP9 battery make it a 9V drill?

In what way do you think just changing the plug will change the voltage
of the drill?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sparks

"John Rumm" wrote in message
brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Only if you like the smell of melting plastic!

You need one of these:

Or if it is a really big drill:

I don't think that will help, that converts 240v to 110v - The OP needs the
other way round. The OP has a 240v drill and a 110v supply

The OP needs a step UP transformer like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6613292112
(I am not the seller)

It is probably cheaper the buy another drill though.

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
gentlegreen

"Grunff" wrote in message
brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Yes, you can, but the 230V drill will become a 110V firecracker.

I wouldn't reccomend this at all.....

..... but years ago a mate of mine had a couple of 110volt drills - he gave
me one and I found a suitable (isolating) transformer for it but it was a
bit under-powered.

He was a mad bugger and did very well running his at 240 volts !

(It was a classic diecast alloy Black and Decker !)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Sparks wrote:

brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

You need one of these:

I don't think that will help, that converts 240v to 110v - The OP needs the
other way round. The OP has a 240v drill and a 110v supply

Yes, well spotted! Sorry was reading what I thought he wrote.

(still at least doing it the way descibed has less potential for
pyrotechnics than sticking 240V into a 110V tool)

The OP needs a step UP transformer like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6613292112
(I am not the seller)

It is probably cheaper the buy another drill though.

You may be able to change the armature on the drill for one with 110V
windings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brendonavoo69 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

A 240v drill will run ok on 110v, but at half the speed and a fair bit
lower power. But if its not for a lot of work it may do ok. If OTOH
you've got whole days of drilling to do, I'd get a 240v one, it'll be
quicker.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 12:52:27 GMT, "gentlegreen"
wrote:

.... but years ago a mate of mine had a couple of 110volt drills

Just for a minute I wondered if you were going to say ...

"So he connected them in series"

)

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:18:12 +0100, brendonavoo69 wrote:

Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

Sorry you missed April 1st by a mile

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave H.

wrote in message
ups.com...
brendonavoo69 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

A 240v drill will run ok on 110v, but at half the speed and a fair bit
lower power. But if its not for a lot of work it may do ok. If OTOH
you've got whole days of drilling to do, I'd get a 240v one, it'll be
quicker.

Unfortunately, the back-emf in the motor windings is proportional to the
speed, so as it slows down, more current flows, the windings get very hot...
which is how drill motors get burned out. (don't believe me? hold the
trigger in on a stalled drill for a few minutes, smell how hot it gets. Then
buy a new drill).

Hope this helps,
Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave H. wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

A 240v drill will run ok on 110v, but at half the speed and a fair bit
lower power. But if its not for a lot of work it may do ok. If OTOH
you've got whole days of drilling to do, I'd get a 240v one, it'll be
quicker.

Unfortunately, the back-emf in the motor windings is proportional to the
speed, so as it slows down, more current flows, the windings get very hot...
which is how drill motors get burned out. (don't believe me? hold the
trigger in on a stalled drill for a few minutes, smell how hot it gets. Then
buy a new drill).

Hope this helps,
Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

the comparison is not equivalent, and running the motor on lower v will
reduce i, not increase it. Ask news:sci.electronics.design if you wish.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

If the novel mains is 110V or 115V it is likely it may be alternating at
60Hz, so this 20% increase will influence behaviour of any optimised @50Hz,
step-up 1:2 transformer and of the (nominally 50Hz) drill motor connected to
the boosted voltage.
Jim

"brendonavoo69" wrote in message

Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

--
brendonavoo69

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave H. wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
brendonavoo69 wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

Cheers

A 240v drill will run ok on 110v, but at half the speed and a fair bit
lower power. But if its not for a lot of work it may do ok. If OTOH
you've got whole days of drilling to do, I'd get a 240v one, it'll be
quicker.

Unfortunately, the back-emf in the motor windings is proportional to the
speed, so as it slows down, more current flows, the windings get very hot...
which is how drill motors get burned out. (don't believe me? hold the
trigger in on a stalled drill for a few minutes, smell how hot it gets. Then
buy a new drill).

We're not tallking about stalling it. Running on a lower voltage and
hence at a lower speed will not damage a motor, all other things being
equal.

Does DC motor theory applies to AC power tools?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 08:55:26 GMT, "Jim Gregory"
wrote:

If the novel mains is 110V or 115V it is likely it may be alternating at
60Hz, so this 20% increase will influence behaviour of any optimised @50Hz,
step-up 1:2 transformer and of the (nominally 50Hz) drill motor connected to
the boosted voltage.

Univeral / brushed motor designs (every drill) won't care.

The magnetic effciency boost between 50Hz and 60Hz is minuscule
(although real).