Posted to uk.d-i-y
Howard Lambourne

Default Central heating cutting out

When I press the central heating button everything is fine ,but, when I
press the hot water button the heating turns itself off,, I press the hot
water to off again and the heating comes on again.... whats wrong??

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Howard Lambourne

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
When I press the central heating button everything is fine ,but, when I
press the hot water button the heating turns itself off,, I press the
hot
water to off again and the heating comes on again.... whats wrong??

What do you mean that the heating "turns itself off"? Do you mean the
programmer turns the heating off and the light goes out, or that the
heating
simply doesn't work?

If the latter, you may have a hot water priority system such as one using
3 port diverter valve instead of a mid position. These give all the boiler
power to the hot water system whilst it is heating. This is fine if you
have
a well insulated house, a working thermostat on the cylinder and a rapid
recovery coil. If, however, the thermostat doesn't work or is badly wired,
the cylinder may remain calling for heat indefinitely and the central
heating may never come on.

Christian.

The programmer turns the heating off , the lights on the programmer
stays on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Howard L

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
What do you mean that the heating "turns itself off"? Do you mean
the programmer turns the heating off and the light goes out, or
that the heating simply doesn't work?

The programmer turns the heating off , the lights on the programmer
stays on.

I'm afraid that is still ambiguous. Does the programmer show any
indication
that the heating is off, or is it just that you can't feel the radiators
getting hot?

I would not necessarily expect the programmer to know that its call for
heating is being ignored.

Christian.

All I can say is when I turn on the domestic water heating ( whilst the rads
are warming) the boiler stops and the pump stops and both lights stay on
(they stay on in normal conditions), I then turn off the domestic water
heating and the pump starts up again and the boiler fires up I.turn W.H.
off again and boiler and pump stops .turn W.H on and boiler and pump fires
up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

All I can say is when I turn on the domestic water heating ( whilst the
rads
are warming) the boiler stops and the pump stops and both lights stay on
(they stay on in normal conditions), I then turn off the domestic water
heating and the pump starts up again and the boiler fires up I.turn W.H.
off again and boiler and pump stops .turn W.H on and boiler and pump

fires
up.

Has it ever worked? Do you have a 3 port valve in the system?

It sounds to me like a Y-Plan system that has either been totally miswired,
or a switch (thermostat/zone valve) has broken or become disconected.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Howard Lambourne
writes
When I press the central heating button everything is fine ,but, when I
press the hot water button the heating turns itself off,, I press the hot
water to off again and the heating comes on again.... whats wrong??

Well, for a start, for someone who should have a clue (from your email
address), you've not given much useful info for anyone to go on

What central heating button, what boiler ?

define and explain your problem so that someone outside of your head
can understand what you're on about

--
geoff